Worlds Television

T

train

Aren't the Magic Worlds supposed to be on television?

I can't find anything about it on the net...

M

Mikeymike

If they do, they MUST make sure to get a British emcee for the event like they do with Golf, Tennis, and such. It adds that much needed extra level of validation to the event.

T

train

I could see the emcee sipping tea each time he gets priority...

(Easier for me to kid about it since I'm part English)

M

Mikeymike

Who said the British were evil? You might be but not all British are ;). Seriously though, its odd how often you do see British annoucers/salespeople/hosts on American TV. I do have to admit, it adds that extra something. Credibility, belivability, sincerity - I think somehow its been hard-wired (cough* programmed *cough) into our minds.

N

Notepad

If memory serves me correctly (and it rarely does, my memory is a free agent...the little jerk) the Worlds footage is always aired in September rather than the timely August.

T

train

And to think - I've been up late at night trying to find out when they'll air it on ESPN2... Well, I guess that's okay - ESPN has been showing a lot about Cheerleaders lately...

um...

I mean Football...

M

Mikeymike

Anne Robinson: I was the weakest link! Goodbye.

Spidey, I'll give you a few categories where you are likely to hear/see a British announcer:
  • Narrating a Golf or tennis tourney
    Co-hosting an infomercial, many times as the said 'industry expert'. A good example of the trust thing I referred to.
    Hosting many History Channel/TLC/Discovery/PBS shows
    Supporting/Arguing particular topics on the American News stations as 'field experts'

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, when I think of "American TV", I think "originated", not "it appears" ('cause you can find mostly anything anywhere that originates somewhere else but appears in the US) so with that in mind:

one and four I don't pay too much attention :)
two is kinda obscure
except for PBS, most others are cable shows where they're more likely to show up, true.

Weakest Link just happened to be a primetime show on a "major" network, which is why it sprung to mind as one that many others might have known :)

T

train

One of the things I like most derived from British TV is "Who's Line is it Anyway?"

Aside from that there is nothing wrong with Discovery, History or TLC, but some of those emcees do not know how to present a show.

M

Mikeymike

'Who'd Line' was originally a British show, a few of the original comedians happened to be Canadian.

C

Chaos Turtle

I love that show. The original version. The American version is okay, but for some reason it doesn't crack me up as much.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Nah, I like the American version. There's a couple of guest comedians, Chip and Brad, who crack me up when they come on :)