Woman has twins - two months apart

N

Nightstalkers

A Romanian woman who gave birth to a baby boy in December is expecting his twin brother at the end of January.
Maricica Tescu, 37, from Carlig in Iasi county, knew she was expecting twins but didn't expect a two month gap between the babies.
The first baby, a boy, was born on December 11, when the mother was in her seventh month of pregnancy.
The second baby, also a boy, is doing fine in his mother's womb and is expected to be born at the end of January.
Doctors said this is a unique case in Romania and there have only been a few such cases worldwide.
They explained the woman has a double uterus and each of the babies developed separately.
The babies' parents don't know yet if their children will be considered twins because they were born in different years.

Ferret

Staff member
I heard about that on Fox News (we don't get much in the way of Tv out here). Bizarre situation. I wouldn't consider them twins since they came from different Uteruses (Uterii?). Just really close birthdays...

-Ferret

"and the bummer about those b'days is they'll still get stuck receiving thos annoying b'day/xmas gifts from cheap relatives"

I

Istanbul

Is that even technically twins?
I always thought that twins developed in the same uterus. These didn't.

N

Nightstalkers

Shouldn't go out saying that you have two uteruses or everyones going to want two.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Istanbul
Is that even technically twins?
I always thought that twins developed in the same uterus. These didn't.
My guess is that this happens so rarely that people don't really bother to distinguish between the two just for semasiological purposes. I've checked regular dictionaries, and none mention anything about uteruses in the definition for "twins." But I think a medical dictionary would be a much better resource in this case...

T

train

twin (twin) (twin) one of two offspring produced in the same pregnancy and developed from one ovum (monozygotic) or from two ova (dizygotic) fertilized at the same time

diamnionic twins, diamniotic twins, twins developing within separate amniotic cavities; such twins may be monochorionic or dichorionic.

dichorial twins, dichorionic twins, twins having distinct chorions; this includes monozygotic twins separated within 72 hours of fertilization and all dizygotic twins.

dissimilar twins, dizygotic twins, two offspring developed from two zygotes that resulted from fertilization of two ova fertilized at the same time; they may be of the same or different sex, and they have different genomes. Called also binovular, false, fraternal, heterologous, hetero-ovular, two-egg, and unlike t's.

T

train

Sadly I think the definitions didn't take into account a double uterus... but we don't know if they developed in separate amniotic cavities... other twins come from just one...

T

train

Yeah - I think the article is just simplifying it down for us "lay men" of the world...