rkoelsch: 8 of Diamonds
TomB: Wizard :eek:
EricBess: 8 of Clubs

EricBess won the first hand.
rkoelsch won the second.
TomB won the third.
train won the fourth.
TomB won the last.

Well, rkoelsch was saved on the last hand by TomB's Wizard, so he and EricBess make their bid. The other two fail by 1.

Scores:

rkoelsch: 90
TomB: 70
EricBess: 80
train: 50

Round 6 coming up...

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
But with a Wizard, a 9 of trump, and nothing else a bid of 1 seemed to be the way.

Maybe if I'd played the Wizard earlier...:(

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The way it turned out, it looks like you would have been screwed as the Ace of Diamonds was the only thing that could have saved you and it was played earlier. But during the game, seeing how the other 2 got their bids already when you played the trump and still had the Wizard in reserve, seemed to be a risky move as it was unlikely anyone else was going to trump over you. train would have won that hand. But again, your trump would have shown up later so it probably would have all evened out as the final results showed.

Unfortunately, you probably should have bid 2 (which of course hindsight is 20/20) :)

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Well, had I thrown the Wizard out there on the first trick, and the Jester on the 2nd I might have gotten lucky and had EB not use his Ace following the Jester, but I doubt it. Like I said, I think either way that was bound to be a messed up hand for me.

<sigh>...;)

E

EricBess

Yeah, it's tough bidding early on some of these hands because you don't know if everyone else is generally strong or generally weak. If you had been able to bid last, it would have been an easy call to bid 2 with that...

As far as the Ace of Diamonds, I wanted to take the early trick because I had pretty good ways to keep from getting club tricks, so I really wanted to lead out my only low spade instead of having to get rid of my lowest club just to ditch the lead...

Still, it looks like that actually worked out for rkoelsch in the long run...

At least no one is way out in the lead at the moment.