WIZARD DONT!!!

F

FoundationOfRancor

I just read wizard, that your gonna leave magic. I wanna put up this post to say how sorry I am to see good, nice people like wizard go. Im willing to do anything to help all of you people out there who have doubt in MTG. Play with ya online, sell you my cards cheap, anything. I am just sick of good people leaving this great game and im willing to do anything to get yall back.

W

Wizard2000

Geez... if we were all like this the world would be a better place. You are the first person on message boards that has actually called me nice. :) I generally use message boards to dump on WotC, the game, and others in general.

I am not sure what I want to do. I have a very nice personal collection that I don't see myself selling off, but as for any online retail sales... they are out of the picture unless some new sets sparks some interest into the market. Nemesis is dead already, and MM never was worth the cardboard it was printed on from a sales point of view. Sure it had some good cards... but most were crap. If Prophecy is good I may do some sales there to help pay for my own collection and to help others out, but I won't just dive into it like I did Nemesis. I really expected sales for Nemesis to be way better than they are.

I really want to buy up some of the mega $$$$ collections you see on ebay with P9 and all that, but it is a big risk. I could send some guy $2000 and get cards that aren't in the described condition, cards missing, etc... I know I could easily get my money back and then some in those type of deals if everything went well... money I would use to buy cards for my personal collection of course. :)

D

Duel

Well, Wizard, I'd give you a viking funeral. There is nothing good when a fellow player leaves the game, to return to the eternal drudgery of life. Keep playing, though the world will miss the small-town magic dealers, I know I wish there were more. However, if you ever decide to give your cards away...

W

Wizard2000

The town had like 100,000 people in it, but only one game shop. The shop is run by a jackass and it flat out sucks.... I know there is a potential market for gaming here... someone just has to tap into it.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Wizard, im kinda new here but you seem pretty nice to me. And even if you werent, you sharing your opinions in the approate manner is just what the game is all about. I just hope you dont leave it. :(

C

Crackdown

A note about the risk of using Ebay to buy cards:

I am looking at using the services of iescrow (www.iescrow.com/ebay). For a limited time, small transactions are free.

This service works as follows: Buyer sends payment (credit card, wire transfer, check) to iescrow. Iescrow notifies seller when good funds are available. Seller sends merchandise. Buyer inspects and tells iescrow if it meets specs. Iescrow releases funds if it does.

Interesting service. I wonder if Ebay has an investment in iescrow.

G

Gryphonclaw

Okay, I too have considered pulling out of magic once or twice, I even sold my entire collection once.

The fact is, once you're into the game to the extent that you post messages on this site or any other, you're in too far to back out.

So even if you quit, don't sell your cards. I have done this and regretted it. I have known at least 2 other people who have done this and regretted it. So quit if you must, I think we've all gotten a little burned out now and then. I myself have not touched a card (other than cleaning them up) or played a game in at least a week or two.

To put it in a nutshell, quit if you must, but don't sell your cards.

I know that we all get disillusioned on occasion, especially when Wotc starts worshipping the almighty buck. But there are those out there who still see magic as a game, like monopoly or scrabble, just a helluva lot more interesting.

As for opponents in your hometown, why not start up a "school of magic"? All you really need is a location and a few notices, or word of mouth works well too.

W

Wizard2000

Please explain this "school of Magic" thing you are describing? Do you mean like meeting at some public area and playing? My problem at this point is I don't know who plays anymore. The people i used to play with are long gone. :)

G

Gryphonclaw

The neat thing about this is you don't have to know anybody.
Ok, as for the place, not knowing your situation, there are several options.

1. A school. If you go to school you can talk to a teacher about using their room. Although this seems unlikely.

2. Renting a basement. Not the most interesting, but it can work. Just charge a *small* admission per player. It works here where I live.

3. A public place. I don't know your town, but most populated areas try to have a place where teen/young adults can hang out.

4. This is risky, and I don't know if you would be capable of it, but you could set up your own gaming store. A friend of mine did it when the only decent game shop in our town closed down and as far as I know it's working out all right. Then again, he did a great job and had a sideline in addition to magic. Kudos to Ura.

As for potential players, stick up a few ads. The best place would be the game shop, but that doesn't sound like an option. Other places include: Anywhere that sells magic cards, hobby shops, anywhere that sells magic and or fantasy related products, and (with permission) a local high school or university. One thing you might offer is to either teach people the game or offer instruction on how to improve ones game. Newbies will flock to this sort of thing.

T

The Magic Jackal

Hey, I've just recently been doing online trades/auctions, and i must say i think that the Mtg auction house
http://www.ccgauctions.com/mtgnews/index.cgi
is the best. I've even done some business with you Wizard. To tell you the truth, your prices were way too low. I probably would have paid twice as much as i did. I've been trying to get my friends to try it. I would highly reccommed that everyone try out the mtg auction house.

W

Wizard2000

yeah I got burned on MTGNews a few times. I learned a very quick lesson there. Where there is little traffic, do not start bidding too low! :)

I have prices that are slightly under what places like Myrra Games has, and even then I would be making enough to pay for my collection and some of my books/tuition. Now if I could find a way to spur some interest in the auction site. At this point I'm not sure what to do. I've tried newsgroups and those don't work... I've tried IRC groups and that doesn't work. It's quite frustrating.

T

The Magic Jackal

once the dojo message boards get back up, i'll be sure to spread the word. I'm sure lots of people would be interested in cards at those prices :) or something close to it.

W

Wizard2000

I steer way clear of escrow. Their service may be free for a limited time, but after that it's like 5% of the purchase + some extra fee. Add this to the insane eBay fees and other fees and you basically don't make jack on your auctions. Fighting with eBay's fees is hard enough without adding more and more. Example... eStamp. Geez...

Usually I am very nice, and I will usually bend over backwards to help someone. At this point I'm just frustrated with the market and the game. Expansion sets are coming out too fast to keep up anymore. DCI and the tournament rotations determine all the demand for cards even though only about 10% of us actually play in tournaments. Notice how the Urza rares are slowly dwindling into worthlessness? What ever happened to Exodus? Stronghold? $.50 rares at best. These are great sets that seem like they came out an eternity ago, but in reality are only a few years old.

The whole environment is still in the pits because of the Urza block's God power followed by the crap of MM and Nemesis. Going up and down on a huge rollercoaster is just not very fun for most Magic players. I for one... am motion sick... how about you?

I am still thinking about what to do. I'll let you know when I decide. :)

W

Wizard2000

What makes you think the Dojo message boards will ever work again? :)

S

Spaceman Spiff

this post is about to go off the general list so i put it back up to annoy people = P