Withdraw Vs. Rushing River

• Thread starter FoundationOfRancor
  • Start date
F

FoundationOfRancor

Rushing River
2U,
Instant, Planeshift Common
Kicker-Sacrifice a land. (You may sacrifice a land in addition to any other costs as you play this spell.)
Return target nonland permanent to its owner’s hand. If you paid the kicker cost, return another target nonland permanent to its owner’s hand.

Withdraw
UU
Instant, Prophecy Common
Return target creature to its owner’s hand. Then return another target creature to its owner’s hand unless its controller pays 1.

I havent really considered this recent pairing to hard, because I dont quite understand the full purpose of Rushing River in some of the decks I've seen out there (Im not sure if bouncing Artifacts and Enchantments are really that much better than the UU cost one). Granted, Withdraw doesent deliver two creatures gone every turn, but if you play it right it shouldnt be that hard.
Any way, which one do you guys prefer? Why? And what deck-type are you basing this decision on?

E

Ephrils

Withdraw would fit better in lock decks, otherwise you may as well just use Unsummon for the same effect.

Rushing River reminds me of Hoodwink, in that it can't hit one type of permanent. The thing I don't like about the card is it's casting cost. A typical bounce spell costs 2 mana. It's a good mid-game bounce spell though, when you'll have an extra land to sac. I'd use Rushing River over Withdraw.

Rushing River fits better with most of my deck types. I play bounce a lot, it's one of my favorite archetypes. Bounce is fun, the reason I originally made a Bounce deck just because I wanted to see how many times I could get someone to recast the same spell. Rushing River fits best with the decks I've used for it.

The decks are a Warped Devotion deck... Finally, something remotely offensive for bounce to use...discard. Warped Devotion was too long in coming. I use bounce here as it's primary skill, stalling, then it's new one, locking and destroying things. Wash Out can be brutal.

The other deck I have is a theme bounce deck, and it can actually win sometimes :p Bounce is emarkable at stalling if you need mroe time. Even decks that rely on creatureless stradegies can lose to it, since on 1 important turn, you can take away a piece of their combo, sure it'll be out next turn, but if t ey were trying to go off, not much will happen. Evacuation, Man o' War, Undo, Boomerang, Hoodwink, Unsummon, Wash Out, Shrieking Drake, Distorting Wake... so many choices. :p I think of bounce as a pending-Echo. If they can play everything every turn including what they already cast already against my bounce deck then I'm probably gonna lose. They'll be seriously annoyed and irritated when they finally do beat me, but what's the point of making a deck like that if you don't have fun playing it :p ;) :D

Z

Zadok001

I personally like Boomerang. But under the cirumstances, I feel the versitility granted by Rushing River makes it superior to Withdraw. Both allow for the one hit effect, takiing one permanent away, but Rushing River allows you to remove Static Orb, or another deadly non-creature permanent from the board, whereas Withdraw is limited to creatures.

Furthermore, the secondary effect of Rushing River is conditional, but is based on YOUR status, not your opponent's. Withdraw requires your OPPONENT to meet specific criteria before it becomes powerful, Rushing River allows YOU to control its effect completely. It doesn't matter what your opponent is doing, you can still use Rushing River's ability. Of course, the sacrifice of a land is a big deal, but the tempo advantage gained should offset the slight slowdown in your mana.

And finally, despite a higher mana cost, Rushing River fits better into today's environment due to its single blue mana requirement. :)

T

Turtlewax Joe

I prefer almost any bounce spell than Withdraw:
including the following:

Waterfront Bouncer
Hoodwink
Unsummon
Repulse
Boomerang

Yup...Withdraw took up up a spot that YET ANOTHER crappy card could have filled in Prophesy.

T.J.