Wisdom Decks... B/U.. B/W.. B/W/U What works best?

• Thread starter Force of Will Smith
  • Start date
F

Force of Will Smith

Has anyone played around with wisdom decks..
I've found that some of the b/r versions are really slow..

and that white flying weenies with a few arabas is pretty much game..

i recently did a draft and placed second with a crappy b/u wisdom deck mainly playing the following...

t1: land
t2: ivory crane netsuke, the 2/3 defender, a 1/1 flying or 1/2 moonfolk
t3: rend flesh/wine of blood and iron/ deathmask nezumi
t4: the descendant that lets you rearrange the top X cards.
t5: Exile into darkness..
t6: choice of damnations..

the deck was basically stall out the wazoo... and i won most of the games with either a ton of fliers and eating damage that would later mean nothing from the netsuke.. or id get a wisdom'd deathmask and quaduple his power with blood and iron..

i would always "fix" my hand count by using the moonfolk to bounce lands back as well. Oboyo seemed to do this quite well.

white: has weenie fliers that can swarm with araba, or plow thru reito, also had cage of hands, ghostly prison, terashi's grasp, and callow wisdom or whatever its called... also the 1WW 2/3 guy that gets a boost if u have more life..

blue: the 1U 2/3 defenders are great stall for a few turns, and the descendant helps you stack ur deck easy.. you also have good card draw to reverse the negatives of actually playing cards..

black: usually black is supplemental, as playing creatures and creature kill spells dwindles your hand size, they can however rip through an opponent.. i had 2 exile into darkness in this draft and i used them every game thanks to the descendant.. Choice of damnations is also pretty godly as well..

again this was a draft, but it got me thinking... so here are some variants i think might work pretty well..
---------------------------------
B/W/U Wisdom

3 Ivory Crane Netsuke

2 Choice of Damnations
2 Exile into Darkness

3 Floodbringer
3 Descendant of Soramaro
3 counsel of the soratami
2 Minamo Scrollkeeper
2 Kira, Great Glass Spinner
2 Meloku the Clouded Mirror
2 Oboro Breezecaller
2 Soratami Cloudskater

3 Kitsune Loreweaver
2 araba mothrider
2 Cage of Hands
2 Cowed by Wisdom
2 Ghostly Prison
2 hail of arrows

10 islands
5 swamps
6 Plains
------------------------------

3 Ivory Crane Netsuke

2 Minamo Scrollkeeper
3 Descendant of Soramaro
2 Oboro Breezecaller
2 Soratami Cloudskater
4 Floodbringer

2 Charge across the araba
2 Plow through Reito
2 Kitsune Loreweaver
2 araba mothrider
2 Cage of Hands
2 Cowed by Wisdom
2 Ghostly Prison
2 hail of arrows

12 islands
9 Plains
-----------------------------
B/U Wisdom

----------------------

3 Ivory Crane Netsuke

2 Choice of Damnations
3 Exile into Darkness
3 Deathmask Nezumi
2 Akuta Born of Ash
2 Honden of nights reach
4 rend flesh

2 Minamo Scrollkeeper
3 Descendant of Soramaro

2 Oboro Breezecaller
2 Soratami Cloudskater
4 Floodbringer

10 islands
11 swamps
-----------
anyone else toyed with these "wisdom" decks?

L

Limited

First thing I did was make a G/U/w monstrosity, with Elder Pine of Jukai and Onna's.. and six Maro's. It kinda worked, but it did not have nearly enough removal to really compete.

I made a red deck with Barrel Down Sokenzan and Goblin Underling, which works pretty well, but it's not a real wisdom deck. During a CBS draft I managed to construct a B/R deck with these and Sink into Takenuma, which was just nasty.

The G/R deck I tested just sputtered and died to opposing discard (Scroll of Origins is a really great card, but it'll make sure Ravenous Rats find you!).
I liked the idea of Adamaro (the red maro, as strong as an opponents' handsize) in combination with Mikokoro (land, 2,T: Each player draws a card) but it usually just gives an opponent a way to deal with your creatures.

The decks you posted look like fun, but they all seem a bit mana-light. Only 21 lands?

F

Force of Will Smith

perhaps yeah.. theres such so many cards i want to use..

F

Force of Will Smith

After playing through 7 or 8 games, i found what sux, and what i needed more of.. here's a revised listing..

11 Plains
10 Islands
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
1 Miren, the Moaning Well

4 Ivory Crane Netsuke
3 Kitsune Loreweaver
3 Charge Across the Araba
3 Cage of Hands
2 Descendant of Kiyomaro
2 Presence of the Wise
2 Cowed by Wisdom

3 Counsel of the Soratami
2 Floodbringer
2 Minamo Scrollkeeper
2 Oboro Envoy
2 Moonbow Illusionist
2 Descendant of Soramaro
2 Soratami Cloudskater
2 Meloku, the Clouded Mirror
1 Soramaro, First to Dream

----------------------------
Oboro, place in the clouds: just a good bounce card to make you hit 7 if you really need to. Benefits presence, both descendants, cowed, soramaro, and ivory cranes..

Miren, the moaning well: this card is tech.. i used this when i tapped out to make my Kitsune Loreweaver a 2/29 and sacrificed it after an opponent swung for about 30, they didnt have enough cards... and a i araba'd for 76, with soramaro dealing 21 by himself and other fliers for 55

Ivory Crane: amazing... if you have 7 cards, its a reprint of ivory tower..

Loreweaver: is really good, defensively.. attacking with 2/1s is a problem if you have nothing to block that slagwurm with... if you have 4 or so cards in hand you're set.. loreweaver was frequently a 2/15 every turn.

Araba: cheesy as hell, dont know why it was ever printed.. but its worth using 3 since i have lots of deck arrange.. that and i want it turn 5-8, when im at about 30 life..

Cage of hands: in this deck it works amazing, bounce, countrol and hand size increase..

Descendant of Kiyomaro: he's pretty good early game, him along with loreweaver makes them hesitant to attack, and if gangblocked, you can take out a 5/5 pretty easy.

Presence of the wise made my stalling and holding cards much easier, and gaining 20 life after a moonfolk bounce is completely worth it..

Cowed by wisdom is good from turn 1-3/4

Counsel is almost never a bad idea, might replace with ideas unbound however..

Floodbringer, good just for moonfolk ability and the 1/2 status..

Soramaro, often a 7/7 flier which i could bring to a 10/10 flier for the game.. also an araba makes him a 25/25 flier easy.

Moonbow Illusionist: pack a punch with 2/1 and can fix mana if i desperately need it.

Oboro Envoy: although they look bad, him with the loreweaver can stop most anything.

Descendent of Soramaro: Originally i thought this guy was amazing, he is but running too many makes this deck offensive, rather than pinging to death with flyers, stacking the deck, and araba'ing for 60 points of damage in a turn. Graceful adept, along with this guy are all that great. I never have over 8 cards in a single turn, and if im discarding its an extra island or a moonfolk where i already have 5 in play.
----------------------

i also pretty much replaced white in a sideboard to see if it would work well, youd have to change the plains.. but i tried to maintain a similar concept..

3 Kitsune Loreweaver (holds off attackers)
3 Charge Across the Araba (kill card)
3 Cage of Hands (creature control)
2 Descendant of Kiyomaro (somewhat scary attacker)
2 Presence of the Wise (advantage for cards, life, stall)
2 Cowed by Wisdom (early game creature control)

2 Honden of Nights reach(holds of attackers/discards potential attackers)
3 Choice of Damnations (kill card)
3 Exile into Darkness (creature control)
3 Deathmask Nezumi (somewhat scary attacker)
2 Sink into Takenuma (advantage for cards, life, stall)
2 Kagemaro's Clutch (early game creature control)
----------------