Windows XP

Z

Zadok001

Just got and installed Windows XP. Don't have much time to play with it yet, but so far, so good. :) Anyone else have it, or thinking of getting it? Thoughts? Is Windows Satan's kid brother, or is Bill Gates the messiah?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I hear it's the most stable of them all so far, but I'm not planning on getting a new computer or upgrading any time soon. I've got other components that I'd like to get first, if I ever :)

R

rkoelsch

I have a windows 95 computer I am trying to upgrade cheaply. I tried linux but found out I have a winmodem. I could probably try to get a new modem but I am really to lazy to play with linux much. it requires so much work. I have been looking at xp but the $200 for the full version has been smacking me in the face. I have a trial version of windows 2000 server I could use that I got for $8 but then I would have to reinstall every 120 days.

N

nodnarb24

I'm waiting patiently for dell to ship me my free copy. D@MN YOU DELL HURRY UP!!!!!!!!!:mad:

[color="336699"]* Nodnarb24 goes to his happy place.[/color]

Think of happy thoughts... Think of happy thoughts... Think of happy thoughts...

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

I have XP Zadok.....eh not a whole lot of difference...a little quicker and more organized.

T

theorgg

George Bush (W), Bill Clinton, and Bill Gates are on a plane. The plane crashes and all appear before God sitting on his throne. God asks Bush what he believes.

Bush says:

"I believe people should treat people as they've treated themselfs."

God says "I understand your intent. Please enter heven from the left."

God then asks Bill Clinton what he believes.

"I believe you should love everyone, no matter who or what they are."

God says "I agree, however, your execution is not perfect. Please enter heven from the left."

God then asks Bill Gates what he believes.

Bill Gates replies:

"I believe you're in my chair."

T

terzarima

Hah! I remember that one... :D

All I've heard about XP doesn't make me want to buy it that much more... We have ME, and it doesn't crash at all... but that damn virus sure screwed it up.

Z

Zadok001

Well, it hasn't crashed yet, which is a new experience for me. :) I've having some sound card troubles, but I've located the problem and it will be corrected shortly.

Conclusion: XP is faster, better organized, and more stable than '98 SE. This is not a great accomplishment, as '98 SE was a pathetic bundle of nonsense, but it is nonetheless a good thing. I am pleased.

D

Darkstar

Well, the computer store I "used" to work for (incase you are wondering, I quit, a bit of personal issues got in the way) just installed XP before I left. We hosted LAN games (mainly Counter-Strike) on 30 computers. I think XP is a wonderful upgrade from ME. Me, and Office 2000 both sucked. We had problems networking them nad configuring the T3 spliters between them. With XP, it seems everything is compatable. All our hardware functions properly together, corresponding with the internet conn that is. We had few crashes, aside from the occasional janitor lady who would come along and plug in a vacuum for a nice power shortage. So, I recommend upgrading for sake of just keeping up with the pace. I think that Microsoft will keep cool with the launch of the V-Box and watch the dough come a rollin' in!

N

nodnarb24

I got my copy of XP on the 5th and I am very pleased with. I haven't been able to crash it yet which is quite amazing for me, since I was able to crash windows 2000 quicker then this. Maybe I have been spending too much time with my girlfriend when I should be trying to run this OS through vigorous tests of stability.

Z

Zadok001

Mine is STILL yet to crash. I've restarted twice since this thread was started due to a pre-existing issue with my sound card (every now and then, Unreal Tournament's sound will get all screwy). My. God. This. Thing. Is. Stable. Programs that used to mean instant Blue Screen O' Death now mean "Windows has detected an error," and XP just keeps right on going.

Nice OS...

H

Hetemti

Well, I'm on ME, and have had no troubles with it. And since upgrading OSes can do evil things if you don't pop Nev's FDisk, I'm in no hurry to put XP on my laptop.

On my older comp, I'm sticking with 98se. It's loaded with quirks, and lives to crash, but I've heard of many problems with XP and older programs...and new ones too. I still play DOS games (DooM rocks!) and I don't want to lose it. Also, a friend on XP has had a few dozen hardware problems with it, mostly driver conflicts.

That, and I hate the Mac-esque interface and proliferation of "Wizards". I dont' want gradient colors and bubble textures eating my desktop. I want everything at once and more.