Will Prophecy be tempest and saga?

F

FoundationOfRancor

Here are all the cards we know about from Phrophecy. These are all from mtgnews. Whatever you want to say bout em goes here (If there fake, too powerful, too weak, how they'll affect the game, a deck to abuse them) If we want to get WOTC's attention this is the way to do it!
Here's everything on Prophecy:
Cards:

Shearing Wind 8R
Instant
Deal 10 damage to target creature or player.

6WW
Creature-Avatar
Flying
If you have 3 life or less, ~this~ costs 6 less to play.
~this~ can block any amount of creatures.
4/9

6UU
Creature-Avatar
Flying
If target opponent has no cards in hand, this card costs 6 less to play.
5/6

Negation (?)
XUU
Instant
Rare
You may remove X blue cards in your hand from the game instead of paying Negation's mana cost.
Counter target spell unless its controller pays an additionnal X.

-Avatar of ??? (I'm betting Life)
6GG
Creature-Avatar
Trample
If target opponent has four or more creatures than you, you may pay 6 less mana to cast ~this.~
8/8

Avatar of ??? (probably fear or death)
6BB
Can only be blocked by black or artifact creatures.
If there are 10 or more creatures in all Graveyards, this costs 6 less to play.
T: Destroy target (tapped?) creature.
?/?

6RR
Flying (?)
If target opponent controls 6 more lands than you, you may pay 6 less to play ~this~
?
7/7

Phyrexian Engineer
2BB
Creature - Mercenary 2/2
When Phyrexian Engineer comes to play, you may choose a Mercenary card in your hand and put that card into play.
Illus. rk Post

Phyrexian Invader
1BB
Creature - Mercenary 2/1
When Phyrexian Invader comes to play, you may search your library for Mercenary card and put it in your hand, if you do, shuffel your library afterwards.
Illus. Michael Sutfin

Phyrexian Taskmaster
BB
Creature - Mercenary 1/1
When Phyrexian Taskmaster comes to play, you may choose target Mercenary creature that is in play. Search your library for a copy of that card and put it to play, then shuffel your library.
Illus. Alan Pollack

Phyrexian Bomber
B
Creature - Mercenary 1/1
B, sacrifice Phyrexian Bomber: Target creature gains -1/-1 until end of turn.
Illus. Edwar P. Beard, Jr.

Rhystic Scrying
3UU
Draw 3 cards. Target opponent may pay 3 to force you to discard 3 cards.

Rumored: Spellshaping tutors
Names and small info on cards:
-Flameshot, a red card which does 3 damage and can be cast by discarding a mountain
-Excavation, a card that lets any player pay 1 and sacrifice a land to draw a card
-Silt Crawler, a 3/3 green creature for 2G that taps all your land when it comes into play
-a rare black tutor called Rhystic Tutor
-Mageta, the lion, which is the wrath of god spellshaper
-Greel, Mindraker, the black legendary spellshaper
-Living Terrain, an enchant land for 2GG that makes the land a 5/6 treefolk
-Agent of Shauku, Merc: it boosts other creatures' power.
-Shield Dancer, rebel: it can force an attacking creature to deal its combat damage to itself.

Cards w/out names:
-an acc Disenchant
-a card more than twice as powerful as Jester's Cap
-an instant for W that removes an opponent's creature from the game(and they don't gain any life)

Winds.
Cards that cost 1 and a colored mana

here are some cards metioned:
Celestial Convergence
Jolrael's Favor
Samite Sanctuary
Endbringer's Revel
Vitalizing Wind
Rhystic Lightning
Spur Grappler

And here are the descriptions of the preconstructed decks:

Pummel: mono-green with lots of creatures that come into play quickly

Slither: red/green using new a "tap-out" mechanic and a few acc for defense

Turnout: blue/white agression with some defense, Mageta the Lion, the wrath of god spellshaper, is one of the rares

Distress: white/black deck with rhystic spells and land destruction to prevent your opponent from paying to stop them

What do you all think?

T

The Magic Jackal

I had this long article written out, and this i was kicked offline by aol due to inactivity!
Anyway, I'll just recap what i said. (BTW, where did you get all of this info rancor? I haven't seen a lot of this of Mtgnews.)

The avatar aren't tournament playable, because the situation is not likely to happen.
The winds are overcosted, and won't see tournament play.

These both are good multiplayer cards, and should make casual players happy :)

The new merc cards are good, and could give rebels a run for their money. Play death pit offering, next turn- engineer-taskmaster, taskmaster, taskmaster, taskmaster. That's a 4/4 and 4 3/3's for 4 mana. better than a hermit :)

The good cards that i have seen so far that will be good in tournaments are -flickering peddlar (the guy with flicker), mindgamer? (guy who doesn't allow your opponent to draw a card) and negation.

Negation is great for the early game, and stops first turn threat (negator), but isn't that great in the middle or late game.

The peddlar must be errata'd to say it must be used as a sorcery, other wise this is what could happen. Remove five counters w/ p wave, tide, or nexus, then flicker it. This results in having 5 more counters, and not losing the orginal 5! it can also be used w/ saproling burst to produce 7 7/7 creatures.

Mindgamer is really unfair. This combined w/ blinding angel makes the game really boring for you opponent. There is also rumored to be a blue enchantment that allows you to draw an extra card each turn. This pretty much cancels out mindgamer's drawback. This will be the return of U/W control

That's all i got for now.

F

FoundationOfRancor

TAG GAURD :)

I got this infor from a posting from the boards at mtgnews.com. its under the rumor section in the latest post bout phropechy. With I disagree with jackal about the avatar of will being unpalyable and too slow in type II. In a b/u discard deck, this card would rock. plus, discard could buy u time to pull it off.

M

mogg bomber

I posted most of that information on the Mtgnews rumor board. Almost all of it comes from Topdeck #7 which just came out this week. Also, Rhystic Scrying is supposed to be:

Rhystic Scrying 2UU
sorcery
draw 3 cards, an opponent may pay 2 to make you discard three cards.

The cards which are still just rumors are the phyrexian mercenaries, Negation, Flickering Peddlar, and Mindgamer. Also the Avatars for green, red, and black haven't been completely released yet. The other two are correct though. I think Prophecy will end up being a great set for casual play with all the big effects for high costs, but these cards could also have a serious effect on tournaments as well after Urza block leaves.

T

The Magic Jackal

TAG Guard

I agree, after urza's block, the avatar's could be playable, especially using belbe's portal. That would be insane. Popping down a 5/6 flier each turn for 4 mana, not cool at all.

A

arhar

TAG GUARD

Damn you MJ!! You posted like 1263 messages today, and put TAG GUARD in ALL OF THEM!!! When my Dwarven Berserker Insane Battle Axe gonna see some blood?

;)

T

The Magic Jackal

TAG Guard.

Hey, I made this game, what do you expect? The game just started today anyway. You see plenty of blood, trust me. Just sit back and wait for someone to post, and then get them before they realized that they didn't put up a tag guard.

F

FoundationOfRancor

I dont think searing wind will see much play. If someone was going to use a big damage spell like that, why not use blaze? THe fact that the wind is an instant doesetn help that much...

Killer Joe

I know I'm not a registered player in the Tag game but MJ gave me a warning!
Anyhow, I'm such a sap for new sets, I really try my best to see as many negative things about them as much as possible, and you know what? I never see any. I love the Avitar's and I really like Negation. I do, however, cross my little chubby fingers before each release of a set hoping and praying that a new multiple color producing land will come out (Henge of Ramos was a huge dissapointment, sigh! I still liked it, though not much.) Maybe it'll say:
Yellowjacket Land
Fading 4
Tap: Add one fade counter to ~this~.
Tap, remove a fade counter from ~this~: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
no? Oh, well. I know I'll like prophecy.

T

The Magic Jackal

Tag Guard

hey, your not in the game! y did i give you a warning?......

D

Dune Echo

LOL! I want everyone to go back and read this article:

http://www.magic-singles.com/cpa/articles/kkoch5.shtml

Go look at the bottom. See Cinder Storm down there? I predicted that they would print an overcosted burn spell, didn't I? I really wish they'd print something really efficient besides Shock. Argh, they didn't have to castrate red so badly!

T

The Magic Jackal

TAG GUARD
Dune Echo, the tag guard must go in your post, not in the subject. NO one seems to get that

Z

Zadok001

Obviously not, FoR. :)

But I'm a bit worried about some of these cards. I like Mr. Versitile (some people insist on calling him Flickering Peddler, but I know his real name), he can do just about anything I need him to do. Guaranteed 4 in several of my decks.

"Maze of Ith, Boomerang, Mana Sink, Mana Leak, all in one!"

F

FoundationOfRancor

Heres 2 versions of the green legend spellshaper, not sure if there fake or if one is correct:
????? 2GG
Spellshaper Legend
2G, discad two cards, tap: Target creature gains +7/+7(and maybe Trample) until end of turn.

here's the other version

????? 2GG
Spellshaper Legend
4GG, discard two cards, tap: Destory target permenant(may be if it was a creature, it can't regenerate....)

And then theres:
????? 2GG
Spellshaper Legend
4GG, discard two cards, tap: Draw a card for each creature in play that you control...

ANd heres some other stuff
Slit Crawler
2G
Creature-? (Beast?)
When ~this~ comes into play, tap all lands that you control.
3/3

Scoria Cat
2RR
Creature-? (Beast?)
As long as you control no untapped lands, ~this~ gets +3/+3
3/3

Mageta the Lion
3WW
Creature- Spellshaper Legend
2WW, T: Discard two cards from your hand: destroy all other creatures. They can't be regenerated.
3/3

Spiketail Drake
3UU
Uncommon
Creature - Drake 3/3
Flying
Sacrifice Spiketail Drake: Counter target spell unless its controller pays 3.
"The spell will have to wait," said Alexi, pointing up. "Drakes."
Illus. Michael Suffin (48/143)

Negation
XUU
Instant
Rare
You may remove X blue cards in your hand from the game instead of paying Negation mana cost.
Counter target spell unless its controller pays an additionnal X.

"Some of you do not take no as an anwser, but sometimes, there is no answer at all..." -Ertaï
Illus. Mark Brill

Names:
Rage (red, new name of Fury?)
Woe (black)
Might (green
Will
Hope
Latulla, red spellshaper legend.
Greel, Mindraker, Black spellshaper Legend

Mechanics:
Rhystic Magic: Magic that "fires off faster, but can also be disrupted easier". Also mentioned a Rhystic Circle of Protection

Rhystic Creatures: Brittle, Fragile Creatures whose abilities can be removed by mages with enough mana,

Legendary Spellshapers

Zho Monks- Monks that use an akido style of fighting, and can reflect damage back to an opponent.

Rhystic Mage- Creatures that use valuable resources to cast efficient spells.

Old Meachanics
APCs, Mercs, Rebels, no confirmation on fading

That's all the new stuff pasted from the News on the front page!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------