Wild Places

L

Limited

While I was sorting cards, I stumbled onto Oni of Wild Places, an uncommon from Saviors of Kamigawa. I had yet to put it in a deck, so I decided to build a deck around it.

Obviously, I needed red creatures with a great 'come into play' ability. The first card that came to mind was Hellhole Rats. Bouncing this nasty rat every turn seems pretty nasty.

Sticking with Rakdos, I figured Squealing Devil would also be nice addition. At first I tried a RBU version with Rise//Fall and Izzet Chronarch, but that turned out to be way to slow and I really needed some artifact removal. So, in order to have acces to artifact removal, I added green for Tin Street Hooligan. For creature removal, I turned to Stalking Yeti and also added Chill to the Bone. Just in case I ran into a deck with lots of defenders, I figured a couple of Ogre Gatecrashers might be usefull.

Next, I just added some nice BRG cards, like Hit//Run and a single Sek'kuar, Deathkeeper. Also added Grim Harvest (I'm a fan, what can I say).

And Goblin Cohort just fitted the theme ;)

Wild Places
Creatures (27)
4x Goblin Cohort
4x Hellhole Rats
2x Ogre Gatecrasher
4x Oni of Wild Places
1x Sek'kuar, Deathkeeper
4x Squealing Devil
4x Stalking Yeti
4x Tin Street Hooligan

Spells (9)
3x Chill to the Bone
2x Grim Harvest
4x Hit//Run

Lands (24)
4x Forest
6x Mountain
4x Swamp
1x Swow-Covered Forest
4x Swow-Covered Mountain
1x Swow-Covered Swamp
4x Terramorphic Expanse

Which creature do you think would combine well with Oni of Wild Places? What would change? Suggestions? Do I need more mid-range creature? More removal?

J

jorael

I didn't know that Stalking Yeti also works with Swow lands ;)

Nice deck. Have you considered using Golgari Rot-Farm? It could replace some forests and swamps. It fixes your mana and let you get to 6 mana sooner so you can play the Oni.

L

Limited

You would like that wouldn't you? That way, you can use your Nightscape Battlemages to destroy lands that tap for two mana :mad:

Some Karoo's would be a good option.. I'm leaning more towards Rakdos Carnarium though. The green isn't that necessary (I rarely play Run) and need only one forest to use Tin Street Hooligans..

J

jorael

It's not easy to play the Nightscape Battlemage fully kickered, but when you do, it certainly is effective :)

L

Limited

Just wanted to update the deck; I've made some changes and the deck has been performing better (but still has not provided many victories)

I've replaced the Goblin Cohorts Mogg War Marshal. The extra 1/1 tokens stall the game until I can get more mana.
I've taken out the single Sek'kuar.. the deck needed some more consistency, so I replaced him and Chill to the Bone with four Wrecking Ball.
I also cleaned up the manabase, by adding some Rakdos Carnariums and dropping some Forests.

Wild Places
Creatures (26)
4x Hellhole Rats
4x Mogg War Marshal
2x Ogre Gatecrasher
4x Oni of Wild Places
4x Squealing Devil
4x Stalking Yeti
4x Tin Street Hooligan
Spells (10)
2x Grim Harvest
4x Hit//Run
4x Wrecking Ball
Lands (24)
3x Forest
4x Mountain
3x Rakdos Carnarium
4x Swamp
1x Swow-Covered Forest
4x Swow-Covered Mountain
1x Swow-Covered Swamp
4x Terramorphic Expanse

Changes I am contemplating:
Replacing Grim Harvest. I really like that card (which gives you an endless supply of creatures late game) but not using mana so that I can pay the recover cost is becoming a drag. I might have to go with Death Denied.
I need some kind of mass removal. Bouncing a Stalking Yeti every turn is nice, but it ties up all my mana and in multiplayer I can't keep every opponent 'down' this way. I need something like a Savage Twister or Hideous Laughter..

L

Limited

I updated the deck by adding 2x Arashi and 3x Jiwari, but never got to play them. Reusable mass removal is nice, but they were just too expensive.

So now, I've changed the deck to included three Savage Twisters.

Wild Places
Creatures (22)
4x Hellhole Rats
4x Mogg War Marshal
4x Oni of Wild Places
2x Squealing Devil
4x Stalking Yeti
4x Tin Street Hooligan
Spells (16)
3x Grim Harvest
4x Hit//Run
3x Savage Twister
4x Wrecking Ball
Lands (24)
3x Forest
4x Mountain
3x Rakdos Carnarium
4x Swamp
1x Swow-Covered Forest
4x Swow-Covered Mountain
1x Swow-Covered Swamp
4x Terramorphic Expanse

J

jorael

Savage Twister is a must have for any deckbuilder. Twister is just great removal and uncommon. Did you try other cards first because this card sees a lot of play in our group?

Still using the wow lands I see!

L

Limited

I try to be original ;)

Of course I use swow lands! They are just wow!

L

Limited

Ugh.. now the deck doesn't have enough creatures. Fortunately I discovered that the Hit//Run is hardly as usefull as I imagined. So, another small change:

Wild Places
Creatures (25)
4x Hellhole Rats
4x Mogg War Marshal
1x Ogre Gatecrasher
4x Oni of Wild Places
4x Squealing Devil
4x Stalking Yeti
4x Tin Street Hooligan
Spells (11)
3x Grim Harvest
4x Savage Twister
4x Wrecking Ball
Lands (24)
3x Forest
4x Mountain
3x Rakdos Carnarium
4x Swamp
1x Snow-Covered Forest
4x Snow-Covered Mountain
1x Snow-Covered Swamp
4x Terramorphic Expanse

To out the Hit//Run and added another Savage Twister, put two Squealing Devils and a Ogre Gatecrasher back in.