WHY WE Support BUSH

B

Bobby_103

Not in the same sense it doesn't. I don't think anyone is "pro war". We're all about preserving our way of life, which is freedom, and that includes freedom from thoughts like "gee, I was gonna go visit the Empire State Building while I'm in New York........let's call the FAA and see if anyone has hijacked any planes first though." Thoughts like that are what terrorism is based on, not to mention it's the only way some people seem to remember what happened that morning. Far too many people seem to have forgotten exactly what they felt when they saw those reports on every television station in the country.

I allowed some work release inmates from the local county jail to do some work for me at my business about 6 months ago. One of the guys had been in jail 3 times for possession of methamphetamine. I got curious, so I asked him why he didn't just take the jail time to get off the drug and then this wouldn't be a problem. His answer struck me as the mindset for much of this country concerning what happened 3 years ago this morning. Here's what he told me:

"Hey, I do that. I get off the drugs and go straight for a while after I get out. But, it seems like I forget how bad it sucks to be in jail. I forget how that knot feels in the pit of my stomach when the jailer shuts the door and turns the lock. Once I forget how that feels, I fall back into the drugs again."

Once we forget how we all felt that morning, seeing our homeland attacked in a time of peace for no other reason that to strike fear into our hearts, we will be doomed to repeat that day if not worse.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Bobby_103
Actually, it wasn't intended to change the subject. It was intended to show the hypocritical nature of the claim that every life is prescious by a certain political party.
Well, you have to understand that this is not the first time it has happened recently, and it's gotten to be a bit irritating...

C

Chaos Turtle

I have not forgotten how I felt that day three years past; nor have I forgotten how I felt for months afterwards. Even as I write this, my heartbeat picks up the pace. I found the experience traumatic, and I was living a thousand miles away when it happened. When I try to imagine what it must have been like for those who witnessed it firsthand -- to say nothing of those who were actually victims -- my mind rebels.

Those feelings do not change the fact that the case the Bush administration made for the invasion of Iraq was a sham.

So speak for yourself. I have not forgotten. I will not forget. Nevertheless, I do not excuse the President and his war-hawk administration for dragging this country into war by exploiting the memories and fears of the American people.

E

Exaulted_Leader

First thing's first. I didn't realize you were a citizen of Canada, but by the tone of your posts, I'm not at all surprised. Although I'm not exactly sure how you believe that gives you a zero chance of probability in the possibility of terrorist attack. By that logic, you are telling me that you know the mind of terrorists and where they plan to strike. Personally, I don't know their mind, what makes it work, or how they choose their targets. For all I know, they may think the maple leaf is a symbol of hatred toward Allah. For the sake of your nation, I hope you are right though.
I'm talking about statistics, not probability. Statistics are represented by historical records and data, creating a range of percentages on the likelyhood of an event to occur based upon previous occurances. Given that Canada has no past record of terrorist activity in recent history (the only one ever being back in the Trudeau era, with the FLQ crisis), every Canadian's statistical chance of dying as a result of terrorism is zero.

I certainly did not claim to 'know the mind of terrorists'. I would, however, very confidently hypothesize that it's more than just flag symbols or Allah that's caused Middle Eastern rebels to hate America so much.

I haven't done a book report in 10 years, and I'm not starting again now. Especially since it would be so easy for you to claim I googled it, reworded it, and tried to pass it off as my own. I was required to read 1984 in 9th grade, just as every other student in my school district was. I can absolutely tell you that the Patriot Act is a far cry from Big Brother watching you and cameras on you at every turn making sure you aren't plotting a plan to gain freedom from it.
The bill itself is much different from the fictional dystopia, absolutely. The initial concepts of either item are actually quite remartably similar (the PATRIOT Act, as I understand it, now allows unwarranted searches of anyone's home? Even if they don't happen to be there?).

But, whatever. We'd never let anything so rediculous get passed up here, so I don't really have any complaints myself.

Being as you have no stake in the fight here, I'll give you this reply and one other, then I'm done with you. The opinion of foreigners on how I feel about my country, it's leaders, and our way of life in general doesn't matter to me one bit. No offense, but it just doesn't, and I won't argue it with them.
Yeah, I know how you must feel. It sucks arguing against people who are just a lot smarter than you.

The Patriot Act made the jobs of the law enforcement easier basically. It makes it harder for not only terrorists, but all criminals to hide what they do. Just one good example is the change in the amount of money you can move through financial institutions and wire transfers at one time. Pre-Patriot, you could move $9,999 and get away with it. Post-Patriot, you must sign a form and present identification for $5000, and. Few people realize that banking institutions also make a report for $2,500 and over without your knowledge. As a person who makes large transfers on a regular basis, I'm not inconvenienced by this. The form and I.D. take all of 30 seconds, and my transfers are legal and easily explainable, so I don't mind if someone takes a look at them occasionally.
WHAT!?!?

And you don't feel that this is any kind of an invasion of privacy? My financials are my business, thanks very much - and if you think that I'm doing something that isn't cocher, you can have me audited.

They run-off a report on your transactions, without your knowledge? What can they include on those reports? What's to stop competitors from looking at the financials of other businesses? What about online banking firms like PayPal, who use your financial records for identification purposes?

If you don't have a problem with the information you just yourself affirmed, either you're fibbing about making large financial transactions or you don't have good business sense.

You don't have to specifically mention Michael Moore for anyone with any common sense to see you all but quoting his rhetoric. Moore makes a lot of money peddling his garbage to college kids and conspiracy theorists, and I'm proud to say I've never given the man a dime of my money, nor will I ever. You want examples of Michael Moore's lies, twists, and propaganda.....no problem. Let me point you here, http://www.davekopel.com/Terror/Fif...renheit-911.htm and just ease down about mid-way of the page. There you will find a point by point destruction of his "documentary". You may not want to believe that Moore is a money-hungry, biased, liar. That's fine. Here's a good example of his lying to create controversy:
Let's get one thing perfectly straight:

I don't plagiarize and I don't just 'quote rhetoric' from anyone. Believe it or not, some of the rest of the world is capable of forming it's own opinions.

Mr. Moore's financials aren't any of my business, and I doubt that they're any of yours. I certainly won't make any claims as to what his present economic situation is, because I really don't know. I know more than one filmmaker (and more than 6 successful screen writers) who live comfortably, but certainly aren't 'rich' (you'd be surprised, I think, to see how much money these guys just recycle back into their budget for making another movie. The guys I know love their craft a lot more than they love money).

It's funny how 'Peddling his garbage to kids and conspiracy theorists' sounds a lot like the kind of phrases the article you referred me to accused Mr. Moore of using to lever a bias against the audience. It's also funny how you're barking the word 'bias' an awful lot, yet you neglected to tag these URLs along with the article (which the author of the article included at the bottom of the page):

http://www.opednews.com/wade_071004_deception.htm

http://planet.tvi.edu/mrgraff/56-responses.html

http://www.brianragle.us/deceitsrebutted.pdf

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/7/18/173312/462

http://fahrenheit911facts.blogspot.com/

These are all articles that criticize the credibility of the critique - and many of them are much better written.

A few personal criticisms, myself:

- Follow the banner at the top of the page. You want to talk about a 'bias'?

- The first two claims (the only ones that are researchable within conventional efforts), about the Victory celebration of Al Gore and the Fox newscasts, are false. Google-fu it up for yourself.

- It's funny to me that the only places making these sorts of allegations against Farenheit 9/11 are backwater websites. If the films claims are so easily dismissable, why hasn't the Bush administration launched a suit against Mr. Moore? Or a counter-documentary that examines all of the falsehoods? He certainly has the legal backing to do so.

Wednesday, May 5th, 2004
Disney Has Blocked the Distribution of My New Film... by Michael Moore
Friends,
I would have hoped by now that I would be able to put my work out to the public without having to experience the profound censorship obstacles I often seem to encounter.
Yesterday I was told that Disney, the studio that owns Miramax, has officially decided to prohibit our producer, Miramax, from distributing my new film, "Fahrenheit 9/11." The reason? According to today's (May 5) New York Times, it might "endanger" millions of dollars of tax breaks Disney receives from the state of Florida because the film will "anger" the Governor of Florida, Jeb Bush.
What did Jeb Bush have to say??
"What tax break?" Florida Gov. Jeb Bush responded. "We don't give tax breaks, that I'm aware of, to Disney," Bush said. "I appreciate the fact that Disney creates thousands and thousands of jobs in our state."

And, according to Disney, who owns Mirmax.........
"We advised both the agent and Miramax in May of 2003 that the film would not be distributed by Miramax," said Zenia Mucha, a company spokeswoman, referring to Mr. Moore's agent. "That decision stands."

Moore tried to lead people to believe that it was a sudden thing that his movie would not be distributed by Miramax, when in fact, he'd known it for over a year. This is the very sort of thing he accuses the Bush administration of doing, isn't it? Releasing facts at opportunistic times to create panic and turmoil.....i.e. the raising and lowering of terror alert levels. Hypocritical to say the least. You want to see where Moore admits that not only Farenheit, but all of his movies are biased and subjective.....no problem. You either haven't looked, or you don't want to look for this, but here ya go: http://www.coxandforkum.com/archives/000344.html and if you don't want one with a bias against Moore himself, just go to any search engine and type in "Moore admits documentaries are op-ed pieces" and you'll get TONS of the same quote as well as others. Enough about that jerk. If you want to know the truth, it's out there. If you choose to ignore it and believe what this man says as gospel, that's your choice.

You mustn't know much about the publishing world.

Allow me to enlighten you:

Mr. Moore works through a producer (Miramax, in his case). The producer is like his editor - they examine and research his manuscript, grade the quality of his cinematography (if the film was shot before being submitted, as was the case for Mr. Moore's film), and work with the creator to hammer the film into a presentable format. Then, they hand it over to an agent, who sells the film to a distributor (Disney, in this case) (writers / directors usually need an agent to even get the film to a producer, though Mr. Moore is well known enough that I doubt he uses one for the initial stages).

The distributor manufactures the film and markets it to the theatres.

If the distributor doesn't like what they bought, however, they simply relay the message back to the producer. Negotiations usually ensue between the producer and distributor (the producer not wanting to have to refund their product, which they purchased from the wrtier / director), without the creator even knowing (it's more or less out of the creator's hands at this point anyway - the script and film, rights and all, have been sold-off). If the producer can't work-out a deal with the distributor, they finally let the creator know what's happened - and usually try to sell the script / film back to them.

This, to me, sounds like what happened to Mr. Moore. Miramax knew a year ago that the film had hit a roadblock - not Mr. Moore.

I don't take everything he says as gospel (care to not put words in my mouth?), and actually disagree with his views on a few issues. However, I'll certainly throw my lot in with an honest professional before I throw it in with a few dishonest politicians.

You want specific information on how Halliburton came to hold the contracts they hold in Iraq, no problem. Head here http://www.townhall.com/columnists/...l20030918.shtml and you will see that they actually won a contract through the bidding process that made them the most logical choice when it came time to issue a no-bid contract. If you don't like that source, just do a search for LOGCAP Halliburton and you'll see why they were the most logical choice. And, by the way, Dick Cheney is NOT the chairman of Halliburton. He has no affiliation with the company and hasn't since accepting the nomination for Vice President. You should really do your homework here. When you resign your position.....you are no longer the holder of that position. That's how that works.

I'll give you the points for the Iraq-Iran war. As I said before, the hotly contested topic of the day to the best of my memory was the farm loans being used to buy arms from Russia, and stopping the issuance of those farm loans on that basis. The fact remains, no matter where Hussein got what he had, he agreed to dispose of it properly and keep detailed record of said disposals. When asked to produce the record of disposal as a rebuttal to the intelligence of MI-6, Russian Intelligence Agency, and the CIA's accounts of what he had left, he couldn't/wouldn't. Why anyone wants to make anyone other than Hussein himself accountable for his own failures in properly following the guidelines he begged to be set, I'll never understand. The CIA admitted that their intelligence was wrong, or at the very best inaccurate, but nobody wants to blame Hussein for not keeping to the rules. Strange how that works unless you're pulling for a certain President to look bad at all costs, no matter how inaccurate a light you have to portray them in.
Well, given that you're giving me my points on the Iraq-Iran war, I'll give you Halliburton. I was under the assumption (and no, not just Mr. Moore's assumptions) that Cheney was still the President and CEO (which, indeed, would have been a conflict of interest).

And, finally, your analogies compared to pre-emptive strike of perceived enemies abroad is ridiculous. There is no doubt about the goal of terrorists. Their goal is to kill anyone that they perceive to be an infidel. There is no "might" there. That is their goal, and they advertise it every day. If you can honestly equate someone who "might run you over" but has shown no intent to do so, to someone who has actually said that they will kill you if they get the chance, even if it costs them their own life in the process, you need to re-examine your outlook on life. An attack on American soil is something this country cannot stand for. If they are allowed to live and breed their ideals, it will happen again unless they are hunted down and stopped where they live. What you perceive as pre-emptive, many perceive as retaliation. The problem with retaliation is that terrorists have spread all over the world like a virus, and you can't allow borders to be an issue when it comes to eradicating the virus. Like it or not, America will do what it must to defend itself and we will act in our own collective self interest to do so.
Rediculous?

You're absolutely correct about the goals of terrorists (thus the namesake) - though I would argue that there's a lot more to it than simply seeing everyone as 'infidels'. Bombing the city of Baghdad, however, was not just an attack against terrorists (in reality, in fact, there's very little difference between the attack on Baghdad and the 'terrorism' that the Bush administration champions itself against. The goal, afterall, was to scare Iraq and it's dictatorship into submission, wasn't it?). 9,000 civilian casualties is the latest report. That's an awful lot of 'spillover' for such a 'precise' attack. There's no difference between any of those casualties and the crazy North American drivers I was talking about (unless you're so diluded that you think all Muslims are evil? You mentioned Allah earlier, who is simply their religion's idea of God, Muhammad being their religion's idea of Christ).

Actually, I think that it's you who might need to re-evaluate their outlook on life. Did you ever stop to think that maybe - just perhaps - if America didn't do silly things like blow-up Sudanese Aspirin plants, bomb residential zones of Kosovo and install folks like Shah as dictators of countries, the Middle East might not quite so proturbed with you?

But, like you said, you live in a country that has zero chance of terrorist attack. Again, I hope you're right. However, if you believe that if for some reason Al Sadr or some other crazy cleric were to issue an opinion to the followers of this Jihad that Canadians were part of the infidel menace, they wouldn't attack Canada, you're just as crazy as they are. I just wonder, how will you feel if it happens in your country?

Alas, to stretch a long post out even further, I must drop this one final thing in. I feel like any person who feels the need to criticize another for their handling of a situation should be prepared to offer up an alternative course of action. So, tell me, oh wise and exaulted leader of the partial college education and little or no real world experience beyond what you can get out of a book........given all the same information that Bush was given by the various intelligence agencies both at home and abroad, knowing the kind of person Saddam Hussein is, and Saddam's own failure to account for 1200 weapons he was proven to have had but couldn't show what he'd done with........what would you have done? Give the U.N. an 18th chance to force him to comply? If not that, then what?
If Al Sadr told his loyalists to attack Canada, certainly - the threat of terrorist action here would be entirely fathomable. Thing is, we haven't made Sadr angry, and there really isn't any motive for Muslin extremists to attack Canada. We don't bomb one of their nations every 2nd or 3rd month.

How rational and open-minded of you, making beligerent claims about my own education and worldly experience, which you know absolutely nothing about. What a stirring demonstration of the real Bush administration spirit.

What would I have done?

Take a good stern look at how my country has been handling it's overseas affairs in the Middle East, and perhaps think objectively of the catalyst behind 9/11, instead of simply reacting to the event. I'd have definately launched a campaign to capture Osama bin Laden - but would have treated it as an investigative campaign, rather than a military one. The Saudi Royal family and non-radical bin Laden family have friendly connections with the administration, so why not ask them for some cooperation in catching Osama (the bin Ladens have expelled Osama from their family and consider him both a criminal and traitor)?

With regards to Saddam, I'd have listened to the U.N. and NATO reports that showed no evidence that Iraq had WMDs in his posession, rather than fabricating my own reports. I'd have listened to my allies that had given my country backing and the benefit of the doubt when they didn't need to in the past. Finally, I'd have actually listened to what Amnesty International had to say about an attack on Baghdad, back when they forecast how terrible the number of civilian casualties would be from such an action.

If you think the horrific events of September the 11th which took 3,000 lives was just cause for creating an even more horrific event over Iraq soil, then I'm sorry - but I beg to differ.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Exaulted_Leader
Yeah, I know how you must feel. It sucks arguing against people who are just a lot smarter than you.
Well, that was certainly witty. I respect wit. Bravo...

Anyway, I just wanted to clear up one thing: Muhammed is not the Islamic equivalent of Christ. He is thought of as the most important (and last) of a long line of prophets, which does include Jesus himself, actually...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I missed that line, although I skimmed over E_L's post. All right, let's calm down, no need to get insulting. I've probably done a little of it too, now that I think about it...

Bobby: Can you provide a link showing when the bounty was made then so I can correct my thinking?

E

Exaulted_Leader

Oversoul: Really? I always thought that was one of the dividing lines between Christians and (Muslims considering Muhammed the saviour, and Christians considering Jesus Christ to be the saviour... how do they actually correlate the two? Is Jesus Christ still the saviour, but Muhammed the more important figure?)... I need to brush-up on my theology. >.<

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I have never thoroughly researched Islam (or Christianity, for that matter). But one excellent resource for finding stuff on just about anything is www.everything2.com

The following is an excerpt from a writeup on the aforementioned website:

"...The Prophet (may peace be upon him!) is not worshipped by Muslims. This misconception is a result of the cultural imperialism of Christianity over the years. 'There is no god but God, and Mohammed* is the messenger of God', says the basic Muslim creed. In Islam, God (referred to by the Arabic name Allah) is seen as being single and indivisible. In the Qu'ran, it is written: 'Do not say: three', and 'Allah forbid that He should beget a son!'. It is a source of constant vexation to Muslims down to the present day that they are alluded to (as by Webster) as Mohammedans, since this implies a personal cultus of the Prophet, which would be idolatry.

Jesus does feature in Islam, contrary to various assertions that Muslims do not recognise him, or regard him unfavourably. According to the Mary Sura (21) of the Qu'ran, his mother conceived him as a virgin (no statement is made as to his fatherhood), and he is described as 'holy', 'a prophet', and 'the servant of Allah'. Sura 3, 'The Imrans', says 'His name is the Messiah, Jesus the son of Mary.' Jesus is regarded as the greatest prophet after Mohammed*, and his cousin John the Baptist as another great teacher..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's what I understood it to be...

Although I think the dividing reason is because Muslims don't recognize Jesus as the Savior and is considered a lesser figure... that's obviously blasphemy to Christians who see their god "belittled" that way... :)

B

Bobby_103

Spiderman,
I lost the original link I had with that info, but I found another. The original bonus was offered against allied fighter planes, most of which are American planes from the Kuwaiti bases, that any of his units were able to bring down.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/746066/posts
I'm looking for the other link that gave an exact date as to when he extended the bonus to include ALL American deaths in acts of terrorism. I know it was in 2002, but I'll get the story for you and be back with it ASAP.

Exaulted,

You, yourself, just illustrated why I don't argue with foreigners about US policies and laws. You don't understand them, nor do you know their history. If you believe yourself to be smarter than me based solely on a brief exchange between us on a message board, I won't argue that point either. I personally don't know whether you are or not, although your grammar and ineptitude for spelling suggest you are merely making an attempt at being cute with your comment more than an assertion of your mental superiority. Just as Oversoul said, witty and funny, and I'll give you credit for that much.

I, perhaps, made an incorrect assumption as to your age and worldly experience, although I doubt it. However, I gleaned my assumption from your own words. The part about telling your history professor how wrong he is......that kind of leads me to believe you are in college unless Canada has inter-office classes on history. If you are in your early twenties or late teens, which your statement leads me to believe, you aren't going to have that much wordly experience. You can be offended by that if you want, but it's not meant to offend.

Now, back to what you originally condemned the Patriot Act for. Unwarranted searches have been a part of the U.S. justice system since long before the Patriot Act. These can occur under many different sets of circumstances, and can only occur with probable cause deemed by the officer or agent authorizing the search. The legality of the search is challengeable in a court of law, and any evidence stemming from the search can be deemed inadmissable if the search is determined to have been conducted without presence of probable cause.
An example of probable cause would be as follows:
Your house has been broken into, and there is a burglary in progress. Your neighbor calls the police and reports the break-in. The police arrive, and in the process of detaining the suspect and searching for possible accomplices, they spot a set of postal scales, a box of plastic sandwich bags, and a pack of cigarette rolling papers sitting on your kitchen table. Perhaps there is even an odor that one of the officers deems to be marijuana in the air. This gives the officers probable cause to search the residence because the items on the table are consistent with the sale and promotion of sale of drugs. This search can be conducted even though you are not present and even though the original call was with you as a victim, not a suspect.

Now, if the officer had opened a cabinet in your kitchen that wasn't big enough to hold a person and found those items, even a search warrant may not make this evidence legal because the original finding of the items would likely be determined to be the result of an illegal search. He was supposed to be looking for suspects in a burglary, and juries won't believe that he was looking for a suspect in that cabinet.

Why is it an invasion of privacy for the government to know I'm moving large amounts of cash around? For those people that think the Patriot Act created this law, they had better take a closer look at the U.S. Code and the U.S. Tax Code because these are OLD laws designed to prevent money laundering. I've found that most people don't even know what money laundering really is. They may know one definition, but there are far more ways to define it than one. Example why it is imperative that the government know about large cash transactions:
Joe has a car for sale. The price is $20,000.
Ben wants to buy the car, but he is a drug dealer, hence he has no viable means of income to use as collateral for a loan.
However, Ben can pay for the car in cash easily. So, Ben goes down to the bank and withdraws $20,000 from his account to buy the car. The red flag goes up and a form is drafted for Ben to sign stating that he is withdrawing the funds and that the attendant at the window verifies his I.D. (covering her own butt in the event this isn't really Ben).
Ben buys Joe's car and heads home.
Three days later, an FBI agent gets a look at this form and sends it over to the IRS agent down the hall to get a cursory look at Ben's tax records for the last couple of years to see how he's got this kind of scratch and if he's been paying his taxes or has an outstanding tax debt. For the most part, this stuff is innocent and the guy is just making a withdrawal that is unusually large, nothing more, nothing less.
Upon looking at Ben's tax records, the IRS agent discovers that Ben appears to have not even held a job in 4 years because he hasn't paid any taxes at all. His last tax return shows him as having made $30,000 that year......5 years ago. How does Ben have $20K in the bank?

This is how they catch even the most careful of drug dealers, loan sharks, illegal gambling rings, and it's one of the ways that terrorists were moving money in the U.S. By continuing to use this method and lowering the amount of cash you can withdraw or deposit without getting a glance from an IRS agent, it makes it even harder for these kinds of despots to continue their illegal activities. If you aren't doing anything wrong, then there's nothing to hide, now is there?

As far as information given to the government that they shouldn't have.......what exactly would that be? Social security number.......they gave that to me, so they already have that. My banking institution? They already know that because I have to declare my interest income in savings accounts on my taxes, and the institution itself sends in a copy of the form declaring that income whether I do it or not. They don't give the balance of the account or the account numbers, so there's no problem there, so exactly what is the problem?
Competitors cannot look at my financials, nor can I look at theirs. This form is sent directly from the financial institution to the U.S. government. If anyone else sees this form, it is considered an invasion of privacy and the responsible party is subject to litigation.
WesternUnion, MoneyGram, and any other institution that transfers money in any form is also subject to the same laws that banks are. However, they are also under the same constraints as far as what they can and can't divulge. Like I said before, and perhaps you missed it, the form is very simple and all that is included is the following:
1. Name of the financial institution
2. Amount transferred
3. How it was transferred (cash, wire transfer, etc)
4. Name of the attendant who performed the transaction for you
5. Your name with a certification that the funds transferred belonged to you, and were legally obtained by you, i.e. not proceeds from illegal activity.
PayPal, FirePay, and other online companies like that run on their own set of rules, actually. PayPal will simply alert authorities if they deem of their own accord that you are using their service as a means of transferring ill-gotten gains. They don't actually send in forms of delcaration because it's still up to the financial institution that you use to fund your PayPal account to send the form in if you are transferring large chunks of cash around to and from the PayPal account.

Without these rules, it wouldn't exactly take a genius to hide money from illegal trading of any kind from the government. The Patriot Act didn't create this law, it just reinforced it.

As far as Michael Moore goes, I've seen the man himself admit that his Farenheit movie was "more like an op-ed piece", which means that he is showing you his thoughts and opinions more than facts. Documentaries are all about facts, not opinions and personal feelings.

I didn't know that when you put a URL up, you had to add any URL found on the page as well. I kind of thought you would be able to find those links yourself when you went to the URL I provided.........silly me.

Look, I've seen interviews with Moore by many of the talking heads on the networks. He always quotes the same garbage over and over again. "Bush is sending kids to die in Iraq".....untrue. Nobody is asking them to die. We are asking them to do the duty they swore to do when they signed on for the U.S. military. Nowhere in the oath they swore does it say "unless of course you don't agree, have something better to do, or just changed your mind when you realized that we were serious".
He also makes it a point to ask everybody he can "would you trade your child's life to end the war in Iraq?"....what the hell answer do you expect from that? I wouldn't trade my child's life to end ANY war. I wouldn't have traded my child's life for Hitler's for God's sake. "Would you volunteer your child for military service?" Well, no. Honestly, I can't do that anyway. No parent can walk into the recruiter's office and sign their kid up. If my child decides he wants to serve his country, I will support that decision, though.

Michael Moore is a smart man who knows what to say in order to make himself look right. His questions and statements are meant to stir certain emotions, and they generally succeed. The problem with his questions is that they don't resemble real life. It's like asking me if I'd give my life to save some Chinese guy I've never heard of from dying of AIDs. For one, I can't save him by dying, and for another, why would I help this guy that I don't know? He may be a child molestor or a mass murderer and my death may let him continue on with his wickedness.

The man is a propagandist and an opportunist. He makes his living off the tragedies and trials that others experience in life by offering up conspiracies and opinions on what COULD have been the reason for (fill in the tragedy here) happening. Not to mention that I don't see any room for a 320lb man whose entire face jiggles when he talks to be lecturing anybody on the dangers of overconsumption.

Oh, and my "assumptions" on Moore's financial status came from Moore himself. Don't take my word for it. Go here:
http://www.arcataeye.com/top/020312top02.shtml
I couldn't find any useful links on that page when I got to it, but you can find links for their classified ads, their front page, and a lot of other things that have to do with this particular website....

Oh, and the deal with Miramax.....you haven't enlightened me one bit. I knew all of that already, thank you very much. The fact is, he knew a year in advance that Miramax was not going to market his movie, and he tried to enrage his supporters with the claim that he was being censored. No matter who Disney told in Moore's company that they would not allow Miramax to distribute the movie, I GUARANTEE you Moore got the message far sooner than a year later. If he didn't get that message, Disney/Miramax is not to blame. The idiot that didn't tell him "Oh yeah, I know we're all done making this film and all, but I got a call from Disney about a year ago, and they aren't going to distribute this film for us. Guess I forgot to tell you. You can line somebody else up, can't you?" Yeah, I'm sure that's how it went down.

In closing, I'll give you credit for a well-worded and thought-out plan for Iraq. I do beg to differ with you as well on a couple of points, though.
1. The events of 9/11 were an act of war planned and carried out by a terrorist organization. They cannot be treated as a criminal act. We've tried that before, and it didn't work. See the bombing of the WTC in 1993 as an example. Simply nabbing the one's responsible for the act itself and not destroying the entire network leaves an enemy stronghold intact with a base to continue further onslaughts in the future.
2. U.N. reports didn't exactly show Saddam to be WMD free. When the inspectors left Iraq in 1998, they still showed Saddam to have plenty of WMD, the components to make more, and even a blueprint for a nuclear weapon. Saddam denied the existence of these weapons and was asked to simply show the proof of their destruction. Although he agreed to keep these records (when, where, and how destruction took place) he couldn't provide proof on any weapon destroyed after the inspectors were out of the country. Do you take the word of Saddam Hussein on this matter? Not me, not ever.
3. By our "allies" I assume you mean people like France, Germany, etc. Allies who had a financial stake in Saddam Hussein remaining in power (see oil for food program) either through industrial interests, or corruption. Most any Ally who has opposed toppling Hussein has also had a financial reason for doing so.

People yell that we should have given the inspectors 2 more months......well, give me a reason why. The man had 13 years to get the job done, and he kept kicking inspectors out time and time again when they got close to something he didn't like. At what point do you finally say, enough is enough, you've had MORE than ample time to comply, yet you continue to thumb your nose. The fact is, for some people, there could never be "enough". Some people sadly will do ANYTHING to avert war of any kind, no matter what the stakes. They'd have given him the two months......then 6.........then a year. It would have never ended.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Bobby: You're right, I forgot about that bounty. However, that's separate from your original assertion about paying Palestinian bombers to kill "infidels", which you said meant Americans too, as opposed to his own units shooting down planes. So I await your link where that is the case.

C

Chaos Turtle

Michael Moore is a propagandist? Wow, that's news. Next, I suppose you'll be telling us that the Earth is round and the sun is the center of our solar system.

Simple fact: both sides have their propaganda machines. Moore-bashing is just as banal and pointless as Bush-bashing. Actually, it's more so, since after all he's just trying to be a filmmaker, not the leader of the free world, as the President likes to believe himself to be.