why tourny magic sucks right now

A

andrew

type 2 tournys are getting to be where that if you enter with even the best playtest deck from your area,you get beat bad by the likes of stompy and sneak attack and mono-control!
now,it might be a casual league,but im broke so i depend on winning tournys for most of my cards (back in the day i had a good WW that won me agood $300 dollars worth of cards ^_^)and now that only the most degenerae decks have a chance of winning at all in a tourny filled with 3rd and 4th turn kills and locks. (all through i can sometimes get high up with a auratog deck)

sealed play,on the other hand,ha gotted to be one of the most enjoyable type of tourny played.

"Magic,Money,and Mayhem....the three best things in life"

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
So andrew, what exactly did you want us to vote on? The viability of tourneys these days?

They suck, but then, that's why many of us are here.

TomB
CPA Member

[Edited by TomB (10-05-1999 at 10:02 PM).]

"I do not teach. I simply reveal."
-Daudi, Femeref tutor

A

andrew

aight, heres what to vote on....
if you think tournys are now degenerate.

"Magic,Money,and Mayhem....the three best things in life"

T

theorgg

yes. that is the reason I only play for fun.

school clubs rule when the forget to lock the library!

-theorgg
I'm bigger than I think, I think.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It seems there was two different issues in your original post, andrew. Having your best playtest deck getting beat by Stompy and Sneak Attack and Mono control is different from being beat by a 2nd turn combo.

To the first I'd have to say you need to test your deck against the archetypes of all decks. There's simply no excuse for not being prepared for decks that are out there.

I agree with the second that 2nd and third turn kills should not be viable UNLESS it happens RARELY (like under 20%? The figure can be negotiable). A single turn kill after 10 turns? (that can be negotiable too) is acceptable however.