Why get rid of banding

L

Landkiller

I hope they stop printed trample cards next. And maybe they could do away with flying. That ability bugs me too. ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's not what I'm saying, Isty. I'm saying with a certain degree of confidence that I understand banding NOW and can explain it to someone, and that I understood banding in the past (before '99) and could explain it.

With a rules reference, of course...

Where there is a slight confusion is if banding CHANGED during the introduction of 6th rules, since rkoelsch and I can't remember for certain (I mean, as people have said, who's played with banding?)

Bottom line: Banding is not confusing now since we have access to the current rules.

N

Nyx

Waiow, thanks Spidey, I had totally missed that ruling. Dang, I'm breaking out some old decks, that two critter requirement was the ONLY drawback to banding in my book. Cool. Thanks again, I don't think I've ever been so happy to be wrong. :)

I recall that the blocking of a wolf banded to a basilisk triggered the basilisk's power. But to be sure someone who posts on MTGNews could ask Ingo Warnke. I'm pretty sure he'd be able to give a definite answer.

If they were'nt in California, I could look through my old rule books and Duelists.

R

rkoelsch

Issue 10 of the Duelist May 1996 page 41. They talk about blocking effects and mention the thicket basilisk. But the example is Craw Giant banded with a Mesa Pegasus attacking. The opponent blocks the Craw Giant with a Wall of Stone and the Pegasus with a Phantom Monster. The Craw Giant doesn't get its rampage bonus. Now if this wasn't confusing I will eat my hat. 6th really simplified things I think. While looking through back issues I saw an article about the great rules purge of 4th edition.
While 6th took some adjusting to get use to, I really think it is a much cleaner rules set.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
to explain myself through posting... ;)

Nyx: I'm not sure if you're misunderstanding me, but I agree with you about the Basilisk's effect triggering due to that blocking rule I cited above. I don't have any confusion about it. :)

rkoelsch: We're in agreement about the effect of 6th rules <psst, but hopefully this won't turn into a debate about the pros and the cons; there's lots of old threads for that!> :)