Why don't we have avatars?

@

@rch Devil

I know there may be a perfectly obvious answer to this, but I have no idea why we here at CPA don't have "avatars" like MTGnews.

For those that don't know...

Avatar: A .gif file (animated or not) that is placed under the user's name to represent that user or just for the hell of it:D.

S

sageridder

They eat up bandwith,and slow down loading times of the pages.

@

@rch Devil

For the little people with 56k modems........PCHA! I don't care for i have DSL....oh well....I guess ASCII art is close enough.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Feel free to send me a constant $20-30/month for bandwidth overage charges and I'll consider adding them. :p

Z

Zadok001

Also, I personally find them inherently distracting. EVERYONE feels the need to have an animated avatar, and while a few are actually high quality, some people just like lumping lots of color together. My poor, wounded eyes... Trying to read a post while the a username flashes in my peripheral vision in bright pink, yellow, blue, and red isn't good for my attention span. :)

L

LlanowarGoblin

I like avatars, but it doesn't bother me not to have them. The reason I like them is that it helps in identifying posters without looking at the name. The only difference for me with not having them is that if I want to respond to someone specifically, I look at their name.:) :)

B

Bob

Maybe if the background was black it would be better, but we already have the same colors as MTG news. If we are too much like them, we'll be "MTG News 2" and were not. We're the CPA. Not MTG News.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

who could possibly mistake us with MTG news, we are far to unique:D

D

Dementia

Not hard to get the 2 mixed up really.

They both have pretty much the same board set up and they both have ME posting on them.

That's all that really matters...ME:D

I

Istanbul

You gonna pay to get all of us DSL?
Unless the answer is yes, I say no avatars. The pages take long enough to load as is.

L

Lotus Mox

If you have a slow modem or don't want to see the avatars for some other reason, there's an option for turning off the avatars (I did it on MTGNews).

E

ErinPuff

I don't like avatars.. I have a cable modem, so loading time isn't usually an issue, but I think they make everything look kinda messy.

T

theorgg

Also, Avatars would be somwhat hard to police. Ed is the only person who can edit the signatures of people, beond turning it off on every post, so a nude woman would pose a problem as an avatar..