why a tournament player would like the CPA

13NoVa

Okay everyone here should know by now that I am a vintage tournament player. If I play casual, it's normally all type 4
so I figured I'd enlighten you with WHY a vintage player would frequent the CPA.

the main reason I personally come here... it's a friendly environment. You don't need a PHD in nuclear austonamical underwater austonauteering in order to talk on this site (unlike the mana drain). I can talk friendly and not write a 700000000 page report on EVERY SINGLE CARD DESISION in a deck. You guys are just plain nice also.

the other reason you guys are great is because you think of GOOD ways to BREAK the vintage scene. For instance, I am currently getting a great deal of insite into my Forbidden Orchard/Oath deck. In the past, I have gotten help on a VERY different version of Welder-Slavery, Intruder Alarm, a KAVU Deck (come on, how cool is that?) and other things that I have won smaller tournaments with. My friend tobasco has also won tournaments with decks the CASUAL players here help him with. Tournament players would not have thought to play BOSH IRON GOLEM in a deck. You guys helped tobasco do it... and he did it well.

So i guess this is just in case anyone was wondering... and also.. kinda a Thank you to all you cool arse people!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Although I wasn't involved with the deck help, I'm glad you're here and thanks for your point of view :)

R

Rooser

I take back all that crap I said about you acting like a teenager and passive-aggressively bragging about your power nine.

N

Nightstalkers

You can get sage advice as to where you are going wrong.

Yeah, it helps if there are people willing to help ya out with your decks and not live anywhere near you to have that deck specifically tuned to take yours out.

K

Kode

Actually, the greatest thing regarding casual players is the fact that everything is possible and everything is accepted. Anyone can be a casual player: whether you're new to the game or not, young, old, retarded, creative, net-decker, you name it. The greatest focus, in my opinion, are the cards more than the game, the part more than the whole. Each card is selected more or less creatively as opposed to strictely and within a range of rules and concepts; the only concepts that exist within a casul player's head are his own concept. Period.

I love to win. In fact, I have a need to win, but I do not consider myself to have won a game if I had won merely physically, but also mentally, with my own cards, my own decks and ideas. The victory is worth nothing if the battle is not just as sweet, and, to bring a saying into the matter, a casual player's motto could be: "It's not about the destination, but the quest to the destination."

Killer Joe

I like tournament play because I like the feel of competition, always have.

I like casual play because I also like the competition, but, without the crappy attitude. ;)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Istanbul
Yeah...we're pretty awesome.

Me especially.
If I had only gotten to see this post, without knowing the author, I think I could have gotten it on my first guess... ;)

C

Chaos Turtle

I dunno... It took me two guesses, once I realized it hadn't been me...

E

EricBess

Personally, I think a lot of professional players could improve their game by hanging around here for a while. I've long been of the opinion that trying to remain "professional" keeps a lot of people from seeing certain card interactions. There is a tendency among a lot of players to dismiss an idea without trying it out.

Sure, a lot of really crazy and "just fun, not practical" ideas come out of the CPA, but for the most part, the guys around here take a different approach that sometimes opens doors a lot of pros never think about.

Having said that, I have actually come to realize that certain pros are a lot more open to listening to ideas. And in my opinion, the ones I know that do that are some of the top players. For example, I can't imagine Kai Budde telling someone they are an idiot because they are playing a card in their deck that he doesn't consider to be tournament quality. Instead, he might pay attention and see if there are any merits to playing that card after all.

Ferret

Staff member
I do love to see threads like this. It lets me know that after over five years the CPA still is doing some good for the Magic scene. Even though most of the Founders have either gone away, moved on to other projects, fell behind the scenes, or just can't find the time to post, I still feel the "spirit" of what we tried to accomplish still lives on.

-Ferret

"still, I miss the old Halloween colours"

C

Chaos Turtle

I like threads like this too. They does me heart good.

It's nice to see a reminder that the "casual" and the "competitive" crowd don't have to be segregated, and indeed they don't even have to be mutually exclusive within the individual. We're not talking geeks vs. jocks here, after all.

So, rock on 13NoVa! Rock on all you casual competitive players! Now you're livin' the High Life (or the life of whatever beverage you choose).

Killer Joe

Let me put THIS question out there:

Why a casual player would like Star City or Brainburst?

For me, I try to stay fresh (sometimes downright F-r-o-s-t-y). My attitude is that I want to be flexable and adaptable to the current environment. This means that I like to visit websites that have articles for current decks aka "net.decs". Funny thing, I seem to be playing more "limited" format as of late.

Actually I used to have "Casual Drafts" when I was still at the high school. Sadly, I've spoken to some of the kids from my old Magic Club and no teacher wants to sponsor them as a club :( .

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't know why casual drafting with "repacks" isn't more popular. Unlike normal drafting, it can't be dominated by players who know the drafted set(s) and are experienced on how to draft them.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Killer Joe
Let me put THIS question out there:

Why a casual player would like Star City or Brainburst?

I can't say personally, since I don't regularly visit (I really only go to Star City once rakso tells me he has a new article), but I would imagine the same reasons you list - to keep up with card interactions and stuff.

I mainly don't visit because of time and other websites to go to right now :)

T

Tabasco

The one thing I noticed though....is that a casual deck will rip apart a competitive deck.

Reason being is that most competitve decks are geared towards all the tier 1 decks....So a deck with some regular old creatures and some removal for taste would give many type 1 decks fits.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Maybe a casual deck will rip apart a competitive deck in some wimpy format that rotates, like Extended...

But Vintage a different playing field. The cards and decks are just too powerful for a casual deck...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, in the original post, 13NoVa says the casual players here helped Tabasco win some tournaments with Bosh, Iron Golem, whom tourney players would not thought to have played with. So is Bosh a casual deck winning against tier 1 decks? Or did Bosh become a tier 1 deck itself and leave its casualness behind once it began to win?

T

Tabasco

I wrote an article about the deckthat it became...it can be found here

But what the deck orignially was....the tourney winning deck is

Lands(20)
Seat of the Synod x4
Great Furnace x4
Shivan Reef x4
Mountain x4
Island x4

Weld Power
Tinker x1
Goblin Welder x4
Trash for Treasure x4

The Big Stuff
Bosh x4
Pentavus x2

Draw/Pitch
Thirst for Knowledge x4
Careful Study x4

Artifacts
Welding Jar x2
Pyrite Spellbomb x4
Lightning Greaves x2
Bottle Gnomes x2

Something like this...it is missing some cards..but having a Bosh out on second turn really screwed my opponents...Like I have said...Goblin welder is mean!!