who r U?

V

Volradon

For a few months now there was a discussion about the different groups in CPA so i would like to actually see how each one is represented here. Here r the choices:
Pro
Casual
collector
a combination of those
anything else...?

for me i am a casual player, and not a very good one either because i can never get my hands on the "good" cards.

H

Hawaiian mage

I go to type 2 tournaments and am almost a rules expert. I also have 1-2 turn winning Bargain deck for type 1(no mox's.) PRO

I only by cards occasionally or at Limited tournements and build mostly fun decks. CASUAL

I am currently collecting the entire set of Urza's Saga and only need about 40 more cards. I also save misprints. COLLECTOR

V

Volradon

Lets see, pro is a player that plays magic for the purpose of going to tourneys. most of his/her deck are able compete in the current environment. collector , well, umm, he collects sets or rare cards or anything he might play but he is in the game for the colectible part of ccg. casual players rarely go to tournaments, there decks are usually more original and less able to compete. does that explain it?
Peace,
Volradon

F

Fire Slinger

Tag Guard

Lets see...

I'm a causal player. I have a MP group thats gets together about once or twice a week to play.

I'm a semi-pro player. I go to one or two tourneys a month. Mostly T2. But I don't play net-decks. My cheesest deck would be my Stronghold Biologist/Machinist and Arcane Laboratory lock-down deck.

I'm a collector. I have a almost complete set of Urza's Saga, Legacy, Destiny, Mercadian Masques, Nemesis, and Prophecy. The prides of my collection are:
Morphling signed by rk Post.
Foil Covetous Dragon
Foil Unmask
Italian Beta BB Sol Ring
Foil Rushwood Elemental

Right now I'm sending my C. Dragon and Unmask to rk Post to get signed.

That's about it for me.

[Edited by Fire Slinger on August 1st, 2000 at 04:04 PM]

C

Captain Caveman

I started out as a collector. The first pack I opened was
from Visions. I got a Viashivan Dragon as my Rare. That was
such a cool picture. Over the next few weeks, I saved my OT
and bought a box. From there I went on to collect all the
cards from Visions, Weatherlight and finally Alliances. All
of the cards in these set have never been played. I don't
collect any more. Its kind of expensive.

Next, I started buying the Duelist. Thats how I found out
about the Dojo. After scanning it for a couple of weeks,
I started coping the "Decks to Beat". I made minor changes
to the decks and started to beat the guys who taught me
how to play.

Today, I'm still a copy cat. I play in two tournaments a
year. The first being my State Championships and the other,
whatever happens to be going on at Orgins. About every
Wednesday night, I play Type II with my brother. He always
comes up with original decks and I mostly play whatever the
current "hot" deck happens to be. I used to play Multi-
player about every Friday night. That doesn't occure to much
anymore because everybody has different work schedules.

I've never have been to a Pre-release or played in a PTQ.
I've only booster drafted twice. In both of those games I
lost in the first round.

I would consider myself a Dojo copy cat who doesn't have
the skill nor the spark to be a playa. Its my own fault for
taking the short cut but my competative nature always wants
to do well. I've done ok in the above mentioned tourneys
but never have be able to overcome the hump. Having a well
tuned deck doesn't make me a well tuned player.

Caveman,
"Hay, thats a great deck, mind if I copy it."

G

garfobo

Im a guy that doesnt play much anymore, and is trying to limit his # of cards.

N

nodnarb24

I am a casual player. About three years ago i used to play in local tournaments at the local game store.

E

Elrond

I'm a casual player, but I went to the Prophecy pre-release(I got 64th place out of about 150).

A

Apollo

I play type one with my friends. I also play in type 1 tournaments two or three times a month and win a fair amount of the time. I play a combination of net decks and original decks, with about equal success. I've won some tournaments with Sligh, but an equal amount with a black fat deck, my own green deck and my own Pande-Oath-Replenish-Burst deck that I had designed before Nemesis hit the shelves. It's completely original. I also won a Mox in a tournament. I won a prize in the only prerelease I've only attended. But I've never been to a PTQ or a Grand Prix.

I don't play in pro events, but now that my friends have all but stopped playing (see Zadok's article on the main page), all the play I get is in tournaments. You tell me what category that falls into.

Apollo

T

The Magic Jackal

I'm a pro who complains about getting mana screwed too much. I've also convinced myself that if i didn't get mana screwed so much I'd be the world champion :)

S

smurfturd

Im a casual Type 1 player, i dont like type 2 at all, i wont play it, i dont buy into it. I play type 1 all my friends play type 1, none of us have the power 9, we just play for fun.

M

manchot_13

very casual
i mean who else would play a multiplayer deck based on rupturing a serra avatar while urza's armor is in play?

Killer Joe

The Magic Jackal! Dude, you're back!!!!!!! Yeah! I, along with many others, were truly saddened by your exodus from these boards. Things have been great here lately, we've got a bunch of cool new folks here like Hawaiian_Mage and others. Are ya gonna start a killing spree again? Boy, I'll be ready this time.
It's great to see ya postin' again, later.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I guess I'm (or was) a casual player with a good working knowledge of the rules.

Although I would like to go to tourneys (locals probably) just to test my decks and playing skill against new opponents that wouldn't have been in my play group (and maybe get new ideas).

Definately not a collector though.

D

Dune Echo

Hey, long time, no see.

I am a casual collector. I keep at least one of every card I get and NEVER play with it, keeping it mint condition if I can. I have some these in binders and the rest in a huge box. So, I don't have many rares from sets I bought boxes of. However, I do buy quite a few singles and have made some kick-ass multiplayer artifact and/or green decks.

M

Mikeymike

Multiplayer is my specialty and favorite. I've been to the last 3 Pre-releases, but I went mostly to see the new cards, trade, and enter side drafts. I'd be interested in attending T2 tourneys but I don't have the time it takes to prepare properly. I come up with some stupid combos every once in a blue also.

Killer Joe

I want to be a tournament player but I am really a casualplayer. My favorite style is multi-player. The reason I can't be a true tourney player is that I don't like aggressive decks, to me, the perfect game is a long one and I don't care who wins but I hoped that I've made a friend through conversation. If not, then at least I got to play for a while.

R

rkoelsch

I am currently a casual player. I don't have the desire or the time to be a tourney player. I play at local tournaments occasionally doing okay. I am much better at limited than constructed. I hardly play anymore summer's I usually take off. Too much housework. I will pick up in the fall.

A

Almindhra

I'm a tournament player...But I don't do that well because I'm a casual player at heart and those jerks psyche me out...( I know, I know, they do it on purpose, I know they do, and I still go ploppy on the poo poo playing against them )...I'm a casual player who likes to act like a wise cracking jackass...