Who here's in College?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Just curious of how many members here are around my age group and are in College. No, I don't want to know if you have gone to college. Nor do I want to know that you will be attending college when you graduate High School. I want to know if you are attending, or will be attending, college this fall semester. If so, which college?

Ransac, cpa trash man

Z

Zadok001

Two month countdown to my arrival at University of Washington.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Wow, I would have expected the founders to be out of college, given the level of maturity they go by.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Killer Joe

A couple of words of wisdom:
1.) If this is the first time you've spent a surmountable time alone away from home/parents, be careful. Freedom to do what you want to do can "HANG-YOU!" You're never allowed to miss a class, so don't let you're newfound buddies bully you into it.
2.) The first day you get that syllabus from the Prof. or Grad Ass't and the final project is on it, start working on it a.s.a.p. (once Thanksgiving rolls by it's a quick two weeks until the semester is over.)
3.) Don't drink. It's against the LAW!!!!! (and stupid, too)
4.) Lastly, cafeteria food sucks, but eating at Wendy's or Burger Buddies is even worse AND expensive $$$$.

Yeah, I may be an old fart (according to Almindhra :rolleyes: ) but I've seen it too many times where a freshman just gets caught up in the excitment of being away from home and just "burn-out" or "Flunk-Out".

Wanna be cool? Make the Dean's list each and every semester and NEVER join a Fart, um.....er...... I mean Frat (urnity).

Good Luck to you!

"Gentlemen, welcome to the rest of you life"
-Max to Bobby and PJ when arriving at college in Disney's "An Extremely Goofy Movie"

A

Almindhra

Didn't you get the gist that the boy didn't want old farts replying to this thread?!...:p...

I'm going to be a Sophmore next semester...I'm undeclared but taking Comp Sci 240 fall semester, and I'll see how I like the computer lingo...

A

arhar

I am a junior at University at Stony Brook, Long Island, New York.

First of all, remember that once you're in college, everybody's going to treat you like an adult - in high school you got treated like a kid (if not you're lucky), and now no one's going to remind you to do the project on time.

You can do two things (if you live on campus, if you still live with parents, it's a little bit different) - you can either study or party. Partying means drinking, smoking weed, going to parties all the time, etc. First year, I partied, and second year, I studied, so I experienced both. I can pretty much tell you that the choice is yours - it depends on what do you want to do with your life. If you want to get a good job and be able to make good money - party on weekends, never miss classes (missing classes in college is very, very stupid, since you're paying for them), and don't do stupid things that could get you in trouble, unless you know you won't get caught. For example, you get caught doing hard drugs, for example (and you're gonna get tempted to do that, one time or the other), it could f*** all your life - you could never get a good job, etc, etc...But then again, college is the best time in one's life to party, so the choice is yours. Also - if you'll want to pledge, expect your grades to plunge that semester, because pledging takes a lot of your time. For some people it's worth it, for some (me included) not really. The only thing is, be smart about what you're doing and know your priorities, so you should be ok.

M

mogg bomber

I'll be entering my junior year at Shippensburg University(it's in PA) this fall. I don't really have much to add, but I'll agree with most of what's been said in this post so far.

How much work you'll have to do will also depend on what classes you have and what you're good at(for instance, I never had to study once for my Geology class last fall, I just went everyday and thought the class was easy. I know others in the class though that had to study hard just to get a C in the class). I'm a Chemistry major so I'm usually pretty busy.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It seems this is mutating into a "college advice" thread.

Zadok: two months? When do you end, in June? :)

My turn for advice: time management is the key. If you're doing okay in high school, you should do reasonably well in college (assuming you don't go all wild and crazy and throw all your study habits out the window). You can party reasonably well on Friday and Saturday night and still get reasonable grades if you study during the week and during the day on the weekend (especially Sunday :) ) I'm not going to say don't drink or do drugs, obviously that's your choice and presumably you can face the consequences (if any and if they occur).

Just try to find a good balance between work and fun.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
In answer the YJ's advice.

1: I have never skipped a class in my life unless was on a trip or sick.
2:I hadn't thought of starting my final project right away. That's probably the best advice I've heard yet.
3: I don't like the taste of beer, wine, or any alcoholic beverage I have sampled to date.
4: Actually, I happen to like the food at my school! i liked it so much that I got a 7/3 meal plan there.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
3: I don't like the taste of beer, wine, or any alcoholic beverage I have sampled to date.
Depending on what you do and who you hang out with, your horizons could be expanded here :)

E

Elrond

I will be attending Texas Tech University starting Aug. 17th.

I also happen to agree with Ransac about not liking the taste of beer and the food at my school's pretty good as well.