Who here likes Lord of the Rings?

S

Svenmonkey

I do, though I'm not obsessed with it as some (my little sister included) are.

Ferret

Staff member
Haven't seen the movies yet (except for the animated versions) and couldn't bring myself to finish the books - just too dry...

-Ferret

"...I guess because ther were no other fantasy novels he had nothing to compare to..."

T

theorgg

'Salright.

I liked the one movie, and enjoyed The Hobbit.

Now when I have time I'll finish the whole thing, as I bought them in a giant 3-in-1.

I prefer Discworld, currently, however.

T

train

Loving the movies - haven't played the card game...

Waiting now for the sequel...

B

Bob

The fact that Tolkien created an entire sytory and world all by himself is what makes LOTR great...not the books. Tolkien was creative, but he just wasn't a great author.

There are few movies which are better than the books. LOTR: FOTR is one of them.
Maybe that's because of the violence...

T

train

Violence is always nice!!!...

Especially when there's thousands of people committing to it and all of a sudden that $6,000 flat Screen TV you've been wanting suddenly becomes the cost of a half mile spint with it in your arms to elude the police as you run out of Circuit City...
:eek:

Ohhh ummm... I know nothing about anything like that...

;)

Z

Zadok001

I love the second and third books. Fellowship is a bit too dry for my tastes, but TTT and ROTK are both wonderful.

I enjoy, but don't exactly worship, the first film version - It's good, but it's also my least favorite part of the trilogy. I thought it was handled exceptionally well, and I look forward to the sequels.

C

Chaos Turtle

Couldn't finish the first book. Enjoyed the movie though, and the film trailers for the next look pretty freakin cool. Kinda liked the Ralph Bakshi animated versions, but it's a cultish thing rather than a quality thing (check out his film Wizards if you want to see what I mean).

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

Same here Zadok. It took me 3 months to read fellowship, because i kept putting it off. Two Towers and Return of the King each took me about 2 days to read.

N

nodnarb24

I'm currently reading the Fellowship right now. It seems kinda slow going but good nontheless.

Ferret

Staff member
I thought the Ralph Bakshi version wasn't that great. It was almost impossible to follow...

-Ferret

"...although, Wizards is one of my all tim fav movies..."

Z

Zadok001

*SPOILERS ALERT! IF YOU HAVE A BURNING NEED TO SEE Bachi's 'Wizards,' DON'T READ THIS POST!*

The wierdo animated *thing* that called itself Lord of the Rings was just very, very strange. I haven't seen it in a while, but I did see Wizards (a film by the same animator) a few weeks ago - I don't think I ever quite escaped the state of perpetual confusion that movie seemed to shove me into. After the finale, I was convinced it was a satire of itself.

(For those who haven't seen it, it spends almost its entire running length railing against the technological advance of weapons of war - Basically, it presents the conception that 'guns' are inherently evil. The climatic confrontation ends when the "good" wizard *SHOOTS* the "evil" wizard with a Luger! I was totally stumped.)

(Sorry, CT!)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm also trying to read it right now. The problem is, I like the battle parts and just skip ahead to them. But I'm trying to go back and read it page by page.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't want the Cliff Notes; I pretty much remember how it goes from my first time reading it (a LOOOONG time ago). I just have to get motivated to start; then I'm sure I'll stick with it :)

T

train

Staring down a Widowmaker 2000(TM) is pretty good motivation!!...:D :cool: