Which is the best Net site for strategy?

L

Landkiller

I don't know of any Internet sites that have high level Magic strategy forums. Where can I go to improve my level of play?

Periodically, a really good article comes along, like Sideboard's Duskwalker vs. Faerie Squadron. Where could I go to find similar quality of discussion, in an interactive format if possible.

Thanks in advance.

K

krichaiushii

www.bdominia.com has some, though primarily found in the primers and the type I forum. More might be available in the other forums, but I don't regularly check any but the type I and the casual forums.

Good luck.

G

Gizmo

Just ask me!

:p

In all seriousness you simply won`t find quality strategy advice virtually anywhere on the web. The web ceased to be a good guide to the best decks and strategies over two years ago.

S

superguy

Well, my favourite site for Startegy (and anything else for that matter) is Starcity. But it's still offline even though it was supposed to reopen on May 9th... :(

Z

Zadok001

StarCity is probably your best bet. Personally, I like the forums for their open style of learning. And Giz, there ARE some good strategy articles out there. They could be better, but there's still some very solid ones. You should write more!

L

Lotus Mox

I think there are many decent Strategy articles onMindripper, like for instance the new Magdalen deck, which will dominate Type 2. ;)

D

Duel

Mindripper is actually probably the best website in terms of hit-or-miss strategy, but because they're articles make up for in readability what they can sometimes lack in content, Starcity is my favorite one. And it's gone *sob*.

We really need a more open atmosphere for Magic. One where we CAN listen to people who have a good idea.

M

Mars

Sure this site weathers it's share of criticism but I just use the search feature and type in "Gizmo" and see what the guy is up to. He usually has good ideas. Can anyone recommend who else's name to type in using Search for expert analysis?

I usually cruise Neutral Ground Online, Star City when it's not dead, Mindripper, and Meridian Magic. Beyond Dominia is GREAT for Type One analysis and design ideas, and they have Type II stuff too. MtgPlanet has to be seen to be believed. CCGPrime can be a bit uneven but check it out and get to know the authors you like and stick to them.

H

Hetemti

I like Newwave's Land Calculator. I make so many polychromatics I need help aceïn' the lands.

D

Duel

I'm never exactly sure how Zadok gets his land counts, but because they NEVER seem to work for him, I always did mine like this:

First, you take the number of each color cards in your deck. Count double mana or essential cards for 1.5 value. find the percent. Either A) use the percent for mana or B) throw out the math and fiddle with it until it seems right.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Agreeing with Gizmo, HERE!!!!!!!

You have so many people here that all willing to give you advice, and most of the time, it's good advice.

Ransac, cpa trash man

L

Landkiller

The forums here are great, don't get me wrong. A lot of the people have their hearts in the right places, and you don't see people shooting other people's ideas down for no reason or to make themselves look good, or whatever it is that makes other forums so user-hostile. That's why this is the best magic community site.

But, on the downside, there is never really high-level strategy discussion. I'm not talking about Netdeck matchup discussion; that's the most boring stuff on the Net. I'm talking about limited analysis help(No matter how many drafts I play in, about 10-15 monthly, I still don't make great decks), and the 'quality' stuff there is on the Sideboard for the most part. I'm also talking about gameplay strategy.

I think the following is decent strategy, and it might make you think a bit.

Anyone ever think about the impact of luck on the game?

As I see it, you can use luck in one of two ways.

In a losing situation/matchup, you want to expand the impact of luck.

In a winning situation/matchup, you want to reduce the impact of luck.

To express this concept further, against a superior player, you want greater luck in the game.

At it's most extreme, a new player vs. World Champion Jon Finkel, may have no hope of winning unless the first turn Mana Clash ends the game dealing 20 damage to Finkel.

Steps you can take to reduce the impact of luck are basically to run a consistent deck, with many cards serving similar purposes.

To expand luck, play with cards that are highly powerful situational cards. The most extreme would be playing an entire protection from red deck, and hope your matchups pair you against many red decks. (The Solution)

Generally, everyone uses decks that reduce the impact of luck, by just being the best deck that they can be. I prefer the opposite. I think that the way to win is to beat the decks you play against, and to predict what they will be. This game is played on many levels, not the least of which is psychological momentum. You have to know how the game will unfold, and play accordingly. At the beginning of each game, and at each important change, ask yourself, "How can I win this game?" and "How could I lose this game?" The answers will prepare you to take appropriate action. Sometimes card advantage is the way to go, while sometimes sacrificing everything to reduce an opponent to Urza's Ra(n)ge is the way to go.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it's too bad there aren't more strategy discussions here. Although I don't want them to turn into that spat we had between two users a couple of months ago (that was hopefully and probably an aberration anyway). Back on the Dojo old boards we had some good discussions on The Art of Beatdown and The Art of Control and other stuff.

M

Mundungu

The primers on our front page can give you good insight in the major "deck types" and strategy.

There are also a couple of gems lying in the now dead dojo.

Watch for eric's taylor "Free Tech" column for example.

However, most of the old and good articles handle cards and decks of the past.

There is definitly a lack of tech about the current multi color heavy environment.

G

Gizmo

I`m in the midst of trying to write my magnum opus - which basically details from start to finish how to win at Magic. The truth is card advantage - nothing else matters. It is impossible to lose a game if you have card advantage, and impossible to win if you don`t have it. The key is to have the correct understanding of what card advantage is.

M

Mars

Card advantage? Drawing more cards than opponent, re-using graveyard cards, discarding opponent's cards in hand, Wrath when they have more creatures, destroying 2 or more land with a single card, destroying 2 or more artifacts with a single card. Not allowing some key card to come into play with Meddling Mage. Stuff like that, eh, Gizmo?

L

Lotus Mox

Maybe also stuff like threatening to kill your opponent before he can cast all the cards in his hand.

You know, Tempo-advantage is some good. :D

G

Gizmo

Ta-Da! Give that man a cee-gar!

In actual fact all those forms of advantage, and more, are all interrelated on a fundamental level.

R

Rando

The best definition of card-advantage, although a broad one, that I ever saw is that Card Advantage is simply having more resources at your disposal then your opponant, be it cards in hand or on the board.

Both cases give you more options, and thus the advantage.

...I guess.