Which is the best colour...

N

NeuroDeus

I know a lot of people have asked this question but I ask it again. I'm making this question since 1) I want to know what you people think and 2) A huge number of newbies are entering the store I buy from and are asking us... "Which colour is worth to collect."

What I think :- White and Red are the best colours since I use them most.
The Store Gurus Say : White & Blue are worthless colours, Black is the best and Red/Green coming after...

What YOU think ?

I

Istanbul

That's *easy*. Blue, once cultivated, is the best color. It has cards in Type 2 like Soothsaying, Turnabout, Rhystic Study, Ribbon Snake, Mana Vapors, Counterspell, Rewind, Miscalculation, Foil...and I'm not even getting into the rares! Blue is all about countermagic and card-drawing, two of the best strategies in the game.

....unless they're strictly interested in multi-player or casual. Then, green is the best color. There are a lot of casual decks that just can't handle fatties, and nobody wants to make an enemy of the guy with the Verdant Force.

I

Istanbul

...your store gurus are insane. Generally speaking, blue is the best color, followed by white, then green, then blue. Black is the WORST color, with no enchantment destruction and almost no artifact destruction. It's *so* easy to lock down a black deck unless it packs cards like Nevinyrral's Disk...one Light of Day will totally shut down a black weenie deck.

N

NeuroDeus

I agree with you Istanbul totally... black is one of the worst and my friends says "Blue the Solution". Istanbul do you live in Istanbul? I live in Malta...

F

Fire Slinger

I think that blue is the best color overall. But each color has its own strengths. White deals best with enchantments, red with artifacts, black with creatures, and green with opponents.

P

Purple_jester

The best color depends entirely on the environment and what cards are available. For one thing, every color was dominant at least some time in Magic's history. No ifs ands or buts about it. So were certain color combos. I say, unless you want to spoil your playing environment, let those kids choose their own color and playing style. Stop saying: blue is best, or black sucks, or green will trample them all. It's personal preference.

BTW, haven't you people heard of multi-color? If it's for casual play, why not? I know that mono is best in today's environment, but that's for tournaments, right?

C

Cateran Overlord

Personally, I think it's a very weak argument to say that black is the worst just because of Light of Day. In that case, white is the worst because of Anarchy. Or is Green the worst because of Perish, or Red of Chill.

Yes, even your mighty blue has foils: Scald, Chill, Pyroblast, REB, Choke, Scragnoth (AAAAA!), and so many others. Okay, so blue has card drawing, you go right ahead and draw those cards while my Barbarians and Goblins and other super fast funny things slaughter you.

End result for me is that I simply like red the best (like Fireslinger, my name is a misnomer. CO is just the coolest creature ever, but I think maybe it's time to change my name to something which makes a lot more sense, b/c i'm sick of people assuming I play black (although I do, but only in casual or extended)) Oh well, I'd better go think of a new name...

H

Hellion

Any seasoned player of Magic will say that Blue is the most powerful color. Any other person who says otherwise hasn't been playing long enough. ;)

Every color has it's strengths and weaknesses. However, Blue covers most of it's weakness with it's card drawing, bouncing, denial and lockdown properties. Blue's only weakness is it's speed. However, nowadays, Blue seems pretty fast to me.....

Like Purple Jester quoted,

The best color depends entirely on the environment and what cards are available. For one thing, every color was dominant at least some time in Magic's history. No ifs ands or buts about it.

Now, that's SOooo true. During the mid 90s, Monoblack Necro decks rule. During the early 90's, Stasis and B or W weenie decks rule. During the early Urza block season, Green Stompy decks and Wildfire decks were everywhere. Now, Rebel and Rising Waters decks dominate.

The weakness of a color is only based on a enviroment and format basis. No ifs, buts or ands. ;)

A

arhar

All colors in Magic are same power. It wasn't so until two years ago, when there were 4 colors, almost literally, because green was so weak no one wanted to play it. But now, in any format, any deck of any color can beat any deck of any color. However, all the colors do totally different things, and have entirely different "feel" to them, so I think it's a matter of personal preference. I, for example, always was a "green guy", but I also love blue, red, and I played white and black too over my Magic career.

If one color was the best, don't you think everyone would be playing it?

;)

T

TheGuyFromTheOtherPost

...is the worst color? That has got to be the stupidest comment I have ever heard in my entire "Magic board exprirence"? Why exactly is Black the wosrt color? Every color could be bad and good at times.

Do any of you guys remember when Green "used to be the worst" color in T2? It's not until Rancor, and actually, the whole Saga block made Green a "not so bad" of a color.

Every color has it's startgies and issues, it's drawbacks and it's good points, it's weakness and it's strength.

Blue is not the "best" color, nither is Black. Each color is "best" at something, and that's what makes them unique.

Boy, if we could sit down and play right now, a match between Black and Blue, I really want to see who would win. An Extended Black vs. Blue would be nice. The answer is: not avaliable. You'll never know what the player might come up with! Hey, just because you played against a person that has no idea how to operate the mechanics of a color doesn't mean that the whole color is bad.
Play against me, and I'll show you how good Black is. Actually, I'll take that back, I'll show you how each color is good, not just "Blue".

This could be the longest thing I've written for these boards, but, no matter what happesn, I will always and forever be the same and only Guy from the other post :)

N

nodnarb24

Tag Guard

I say what makes a color good is if you have the cards to back it up. Let's say you have crap for blue you'll probably say that blue suck. Personally i like red and green because i have the cards to back them up. Currently i'm working on my white and blue so those should be working pretty good. Also i have always liked black because i get good old school black and new school black and they both work together well.

T

TheGuyFromTheOtherPost

Your theory could prove right in some cases, but the truth is, no matter what cards you have, all colors will be balances, and each will have their weaknesses and strength.

Perosnally, I collect as much Black as I can, but I also have some Blue and White. I also have some Foil cards for Red and Green.
I collect Black, but I believe that Black is weak at some spots where other colors are good at, that don't mean that Black is bad, but it means that Black is "so" strong at a strategy, that they had to give it it's disadvantages. Guess what Black is strong at? Reanimation, creature removal, and discard. Can you give me a color that can do all those only using commons? Heck even using rares?

Each color has it's stuff done for it. Blue is not the best, nither is Black, White, Red, or Green. They are all good.

I'm just the Guy from the other post though.

B

BigBlue

With a name like BigBigblue what do you expect to hear?

Blue Kicks ass, Control is the name of the game, when your opponent can't cast anything, and when you let them you steal it or return it to their hand, they just cry like little girlz. That is before you bring a fatty out to make the kill.

Second to that imnsho is white, white can deal with everything on the board ench, art, creat, life, and land. and when u get behind balance sets things straight again.
also how many 2/? First strike/shadow/prot for WW creatures does one need? ;)

Now that said, if you are talking about a limited environment, sealed/draft, then red and green are your best bet just due to the number of common creatures which are good w/ direct damage or GG etc.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
To answer the question:

All colors are worth COLLECTING. It then depends on the type of play-style (usually broken down to creatures vs control, with a bit of "other" thrown in) that the kids want to play. As most everyone is saying, each color has its strength and weaknesses. Traditionally green, with maybe (now) black and white and good for introducing creature stuff and blue for control (I don't know where red fits in. Control?) But really, they can jump in anywhere.

M

Major Crime

Artifacts (brown), come on who packs a CoP Artifact in their sideboard, not even me!... Oh forgot I do not use sideboards.

Unless you come up against that red creature which changes your artifacts in to X damage, where X is casting cost of Art, an artifact creature deck can work well for fun play.

V

VoLRaTH

... because black, green or whýte creatures can do nothing to red (T1) but in the other hand blue defeats the red but still i love red :)

Fact: I can stop a powerful blue deck with only a fast (it's not only fast, very fast [i won in the 3. turn])green deck!

R

rkoelsch

I favor white but that is because of my play style. Anyone remember Necro it dominated when blue had Force of Will. Why because it had answers to control and beatdown. I understand that getting behind a color is a lot like getting behind a sports team. As long as people understand that and don't really believe that there is one color that has all the answers.