Which is better: Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme

turgy22

Nothing Special
I prefer Dunkin Donuts. I never understood the Krispy Kreme craze that built up a few years ago. Their donuts are fine and all, but nothing special.

I must say that my favorite donuts now are the ones they make at the bakery in Giant. They have peanut butter cream-filled donuts with chocolate frosting that are better than any other donuts I've had.

E

EricBess

I'm a big fan of how Krispy Kreme just sort of melt in your mouth. But doughnuts are expensive enough that if I have to buy them myself, I'd probably just go to Albertsons or something. I think I've had Dunkin Donuts maybe once in the past year and I remember it being a decent donut, but nothing spectacular.

Honestly, though, I think Dunkin is more traditional. Krispy Kremes are shaped like donuts...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I am not a fan of Kirspy Kreme.... I don't like all the glaze that hardens to a candy like film and then breaks, falls off and gets everywhere.....
Dunkin is good, but the Oakmont Bakery is the best...... Only KJ will get that one.

T

train

@spidey - traditional as in "evening gown" vs. "leather mini-skirt"... (but really I was kind of lost too...) :eek:

Oakmont Bakery huh? See here: http://www.oakmontbakery.com/ They look really upscale for a donut shop - but I guess they are a bit more with Bakery in the name huh... (note to self - at times, think before writing...)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Cool... I didn't know they had a website. I live very close to this, could walk there... well, I could!

A friend of mine doesn't like Dunkin anymore, he said they changed their recipe to not have butter or lard or something in it and the donuts aren't as good......

T

train

The only krispy kremes I like are the chocolate cake and the blueberry cake(I think it's blueberry)...

But the rest is pure Dunkin' greatness!...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Indeed. But your statement

Honestly, though, I think Dunkin is more traditional. Krispy Kremes are shaped like donuts...
is a bit confusing. Dunkin is more "traditional" to what? How donuts are shaped? Because you next describe KK as shaped like donuts, meaning Dunkin and "traditional" are not... :confused:

E

EricBess

I meant whatever dough they use the make the donuts. Krispy Kremes sort of melt in your mouth, so I don't know what it is, but they don't seem to be the same ingredients as what I consider more traditional glazed donuts.

I guess my point was that Krispy Kremes are shaped like donuts... but are made with a different dough or a different process, or something.

T

train

Now I understand... Yeah - there's not much "filling" someone up on KKs... you can eat like 3 to 1 dunkin... IMO...

"That's why they sell so many... It takes 3 dozen KK donuts to get 1 dozen real donuts..."

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
They're both good the first day, but DD's turn into hockey pucks on day 2 while KK's stay fresh and moist. They must put preservatives in them or something to keep them that way.

Mmmmm...preservatives...:p