Which deck is better?

G

grayson

hello all,

I have two decks in mind with only enough cards to build one so which do you think would be better?

R/G
4 Whirling Dervish
4 Wild Mongrel
4 Basking Rootwalla
4 Yavimaya Barbarian
4 Raging Goblin
4 Firebolt
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Fiery Temper
4 Violent Eruption
4 Shock
10 Mountain
10 Forest

RED
2 Blistering Firecat
4 Pyrotechnics
4 Ball Lightning
4 Jackal Pup
4 Raging Goblin
4 Firebolt
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Fiery Temper
4 Violent Eruption
4 Shock
4 Incinerate
18 Mountain

Is it worth playing the red/green deck since there are only 12 green and 4 red/green cards? Since there are so few green would it be better to dump those and make the entire deck red?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If all you're using green for is the Mongrel/Rootwalla combo, I'd say scrap it and go all red. Unless you face a lot of black decks and would like to use the Dervishes, but you can probably just use the red to throw in more burn or something.

T

train

He also needs the green for the barbarian...

Guma is a 2/2 pro blue but for 3...

I think the green also opens up new territory... Naturalize, creeping mold maybe...

but like spidey said - for mana efficiency, you could easily go all red...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, I wasn't familiar with the Barbarian.

However, it looks like he's going for the quick beatdown, not control or utility (although Shatter would be good to have), so mono-red looks best.

N

NorrYtt

I vote R/G. But it could use some work.

R/G
4 Basking Rootwalla
4 Wild Mongrel
4 Yavimaya Barbarian
4 Jackal Pup
4 Grim Lavamancer

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Incinerate
4 Shock
4 Firebolt
4 Reckless Charge

4 Taiga
4 Land Grant
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Mountain
4 Forest

T

train

What about rites of initiation for the pups - like reckless charge...

just wondering...

"Mongrel is just so good in there..."

G

grayson

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts! Since the majority voted for red - that is what I made. I'm loving it so far. It's pretty cool.

Thanks again.

G

grayson

Well, this didn't take long. After a few games of playtesting I have a question about the Jackal Pup (2/1 - For each 1 damage dealt to Jackal Pup, it deals 1 damage to you).

I attack with the pup and my opponent blocks with a 5/5 (non-trampling) creature. Does the blocker deal 5 points of damage to the pup (and therefore the pup deals 5 to me) or does the blocker only deal one point damage because that is all it takes to do kill the pup (and therefore I take 1 point damage)?

Is there a site that answers ruling questions like this so I don't have to bother you guys?

Thanks for your help.