Which and What?

T

Turtlewax Joe

Should I play Bloodfire Dwarf or Razorfin hunter in my Whirlpool deck. I need to slim down the creature base.

And can anyone tell me exactly what a 'mana curve' is?

Thank you so mutch if you reply!

J

Jake74

Without knowing the rest of the deck, it's hard to choose which one is better... What else is in the deck?

T

Turtlewax Joe

Burn and counters, some bounce. It's a pure R/U build. other creatures include: FTK, Tahngarth, Minotaur illusionist, and the whirlpool creatures.

Spells: Suffocating Blast, Jilt, Washout?, counter, Illuminate, and Repulse.

BTW, again with the mana curve thing!

J

Jake74

I'm not so sure I can explain mana curve to you... I'd give it a try if no one else does... I don't really pay attention to it much, I just build and test...

I'd say use the Hunter, it is reusable damage, if you have enough burn, you shouldn't need the tremor that the drawf gives you... But, maybe the whole decklist??

T

Turtlewax Joe

No prob:

Land (24)
4x Shivan Reef
10x Island
10x Mountain

Creatures (24)
4x Minotaur Illusionist
4x Whirlpool Warrior
2x Whirlpool Rider
2x Whirlpool Drae
1x Tahngarth, Talruum Hero
3x Flametongue Kavu
4x Bloodfire Dwarf or 4x Razorfin Hunter

Other (18)
4x Suffocating Blast
4x Jilt
2x Washout
2x Counterspell
2x Illuminate
4x Repulse

yes it is 62 cards, go ahead and hack it down to 60.
Administrators: PLEASE DO NOT MOVE THIS THREAD!

J

Jake74

Mana Curve
-------------
0cc-0
1cc-4 or 0
2cc-8 or 12
3cc-8
4cc-11
5cc-5
Xcc-2

This is the curve for your deck.... way too high... looking at this, use the Dwarfs and find a way to lower the average cc a bit (cut down on the 4 and 5cc/add some 1 or 2cc)

I suggest adding opt, it allows you to get by with a higher curve somewhat....

J

Jake74

Make some changes and post it in the deck section... you'll get a few more opinions on what cards are best...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm moving the thread because it is not really a single card strategy question.. It's more of a deck question.

To expound on what a mana curve is, it's basically trying to make use of your mana every turn so nothing's left untapped. That's why you want a higher percentage of lower casting cost spells vs higher cast because you don't want dead spells in your hand the first few turns of the game; you want to be casting something (or using ability stuff) every turn.

J

Jake74

but I guess I turned it into a deck thread... that's not so bad is it? I think it looks like a good deck, just a couple slight changes to it...

I'd drop down to two minotaur illusionists and 2 whirlpool warriors, that would help the curve... add opt and (maybe) Fact or Fiction(2?).. then you could get rid of the 'extra' cards you get from FoF with the whirlpool guys...
2 Flametongue should be ok(thinking of the higher cc)
You might want to put both the hunter and the dwarf in the deck...
Well, now that I've completely changed the deck, what do you think? :p

T

Turtlewax Joe

Is it apropriate that I call the deck mono-purple ? any way I expected the thread to be moved it's just I wanted to wait awhile before it was...OH WELL:) .

Here's the deck:

Mono-Purple

4x Whirlpool Warrior
4x Whirlpool Rider
4x Minotaur Illusionist
4x Bloodfire Dwarf

2x Fact or Fiction
2x Opt
4xRepulse
2x Washout
4x Jilt
3x Fire/Ice
2x Illuminate

4x Shivan Reef
10x Island
10x Mountain

This is what I ended up with late last night, what do you think?

Mana Curve(I get it now!)

1cc- 6
2cc- 7/11
3cc- 8
4cc- 4/8
5cc- 5
Xcc- 2

Looks better than It did at the start!

J

Jake74

It looks much better now, but why are there slashes in the mana curve?
I still think the curve is higher than it needs to be... drop down to 2 illusionists and put in another opt and the 4th fire /ice .
By the time you get to 5 mana, you should have one of the 5cc in your hand (especially with the whirlpool) and one is all you really need...

T

Turtlewax Joe

With 24 mana in a 60 card deck you should hit 5 mana by turn 5 or shullle (if you don't have mana in hand) with a whirlpool creature. Like you said, I should get the needed land or other cards faster with the whirlpool creatures. The slashes are there for the kicker in Jilt.

If it seems like I'm being stuborn about the minotaur it's just because I like him alot. I havn't playtested this version yet, and i want to see if he still works. I was thinking... -1 jilt, +1opt or +1 fire\ice.

Can you have more than one Tahngarth in a deck(I don't think so)

J

Jake74

Originally posted by Turtlewax Joe
Can you have more than one Tahngarth in a deck(I don't think so)
Is Tahngarth a legend?? Even if he is, you can still put 2 in the deck, you just can't have two in play at the same time... (I have decks with 4 Reyas and she's a legend)
I'd say put in the fire/ice, that way you can still target two mana guys or a weenie swarm.

T

Turtlewax Joe

Should I add another Tahngarth, even with the whirlpools?(no?)

Mono-Purple

Creatures(17)
4x Whirlpool Warrior
4x Whirlpool Rider
4x Minotaur Illusionist
4x Bloodfire Dwarf

Other(19)
2x Illuminate
4x Fire/Ice
3x Jilt
2x Opt
2x Fact os Fiction
4x Repulse
2x Washout

Good? Better? Best?

J

Jake74

I would suggest not adding another Tahngarth unless you drop an Illusionist otherwise, the decks looks good, play it a bit and let us(me) know...
BTW, do you use apprentice?
[edit]That color doesn't show very good, I wish we had a good color for Gold...[/edit]

T

Turtlewax Joe

Pro to more Tahngarth: If I already have one in play, I could whirlpool the deadcard Tahngarth into the deck.

Con to more Tahngarth: I could get stuck with him in my hand late in the game due to the number of already used whirlpools, and I would have to take out an Illusionist not to upset the mana curve.(not necessarily a bad thing)

T

Turtlewax Joe

I got rid of apprentice because I couldn't contact anyone because I didn't know how to use MIRC. and I couuldn't find set updates!

If you give me directions I would be glad to try again.:) :p

J

Jake74

Originally posted by Turtlewax Joe
I got rid of apprentice because I couldn't contact anyone because I didn't know how to use MIRC. and I couuldn't find set updates!
If you give me directions I would be glad to try again.:) :p
I'm just trying to start online play...
Actually, I dl'd apprentice the other day and I still have to get mIRC set up... I had it working a while ago, but I never used it so it went. Now with apprentice, I have a reason for it again...
After I set up my mIRC I'll try to help ya out...

T

Turtlewax Joe

I just played my friend, the deck works good.

I didn't know howto set up MIRC that was the prob.:( :eek: