Where Would We Go?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, all this talk about closing websites has got me thinking (uh oh...)

If the CPA were to close down (and actually, that's not an impossibility as Ed has taken a significant non-participatory role lately), where would we all go? Is there a "backup" website where we can reconnect, like wizards? Are we to disperse into the matrix of the web, maybe to reconnect by chance on other boards?

What would you do if you saw a message on the CPA Front Page (or message forums, if you have that bookmarked) saying "The CPA has closed all operations"?

G

Griffith_se

Wizards is not for Me.
I visited there a couple of time's. That board is TOOOOOO active. Post something, come back an hour later an find it on the second page.

I kinda like Beyond Dementia, but it doesn't have the light hearted homey fell as the CPA.

I really don't know, I have thought about. Like Spiderman I have noticed Ed's discontent, with this site for a while.

Remember, Ed is a teenager, a high school student, He will move on eventually. Maybe He'll pass the baton, maybe He won't.

Anyway, good idea Spiderman it's always a good idea to have a back-up plan.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
What the heck you talkin' 'bout, YJ? What's the Battlestar Galactica reference (love those starfighters though)

H

Hetemti

Brandon has some boards...though I'm the only one to ever check them...it seems...

N

nodnarb24

That would be an extremely depressing day for the magic community if the CPA fell. I can't think of what I would do when I'm board.

F

fuzzy510

If I know Ed (Which I don't), I'd say that he'd pass the baton before he let the CPA die. I also think that there are a vast number of us willing to take over Ed's position if it means not losing the site.

G

Gerode

I was going to say Nodnarb's boards. Right now they're pretty inactive, but it could quickly resemble the CPA if it had more members.

However, the CPA probably doesn't cost a lot of money to maintain as compared to a site like The Dojo or StarCity, and we are not in any noticeable decline (other than the seeming absence of Ed).

A

Apollo

I haven't really found any other major message boards to my liking. I'm sure, even if this site was totally wrecked, we could find someone that would take over or build a new site.

D

Daggertooth

well, Nodnarb's site was designed after this one. We could all meet up there. Assuming he doesn't follow the dying trend and disappear. It's been a while since I've visited. I think I'll go there after this.

Beware Nodnarb. The curse of the MTG sites is on you. You are now a marked man.

Daggertooth

H

Hawaiian mage

I know your all probably sick of me blatently advertiseing, but MTGcraft is always a possibility.

Heh... heh... Yeah, well I hope you die lonely too.

-Hawaiian "MTGcraft, I have failed you!" mage

T

terzarima

Man, some of the reasons this is a good place is because everyone knows each other, and there aren't very many people!!! I would break down and cry (copyrighted by Gun's n' roses) I would have no place to turn to to place my personal unrelated comments on (Did I mention I'm a sociopath? I didn't? Good, cause I'm not) and I couldn't make wise cracks at Cateran Emporer or Duke. So for gods sake!!! (Copyright Chris Farley) don't ever shut down.

(This has been a paid brodcast from the Cpa-desdo [Casual players alliance - don't ever shut down organization])

Z

Zadok001

Ed can pass the site to me if it's a choice between that and losing it. I'll give up all sleep to keep this place running. :) I love this site, and I love talking to you guys here. This is wonderful.

But!

If, by some absolute miracle, it did shut down, I'll go to StarCity's boards. They're very quiet, almost unheard of. I'll post there, and try to regroup. Once we've done that, I can work out another site to run to. But we won't close. Never.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
FWIW, I basically have left the CPA. But you wouldn't know it, aside from my lack of posting, since while I was still "here", I didn't do much anyway.

Maintaining the site is the easy part -- *every* single page is controlled by scripts, so all article, news, and forum management is done from a nice web interface. (ask anyone who does it :))

Trying to make changes would be very hard for someone not well versed in a C based language (preferably PHP) and SQL, specifically MySQL's implementation. At points, I basically have to say "WTF?", as I don't even know what I was thinking when I coded that.

It wouldn't shut down until I had to start fronting cash for bandwidth :)

D

Duel

Yeah, and that should never happen. Hell, I'd front some of the cash should it come to that. We get every CPA member to pay $0.01 a month and we have almost enough for the bandwidth right there. Plus advertising..... :)

D

Duel

Oh yeah, and I'd go the the Starcity boards too. MTGnews is too worn-down, and the WOTC boards are a little overpopulated. Possibly we could re-form at starcity....

Fortunately, that shouldn't happen for a long time...

C

Chaos Turtle

For those who haven't noticed, MTGnews has purhased the same BB system we are using. It's not half a cool, though, and looks to end up being the same sort of thing as before, only quicker-to-load. :p

It's the astonishing versatility and diversity of these forums and the membership that keeps me here. Like a family. If that day ever comes, I will simply follow that family wherever it goes.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I hope I didn't imply that the CPA is going to shut down in the near future; I was just posing a hypothetical question that if we (or probably Ed) were given NO warning that the site/web/ChasDen were to go away, what would we do and where would we go? This is known in my industry as Disaster Planning and Recovery ;)

Anyway, from it what it sounds like, so far there's no general concensus on where to go. Wizards, StarCity, MTGNews, and nodnarb's boards are all mentioned. I'm sure we'd find everyone else eventually, it just might take longer for some than others ;)

C

Cateran Emperor

If this should somehow collapse, you can find me at MTGnews.

The new format is so apppealing to me that I actually went back (I'm there under Cateran), and am actively posting again after nearly seven months of inactivity.

I actually cared so much about those formerly glorious boards that I'm now a moderator for the Type II forum there. Actually, quite a few of us are moderators over there now. A big thumbs up to good ol' DG for realizing that moderators were sorely needed.

If that should collapse first by some impossible coincidence, I have no idea where I would retreat to next. Probably to nodnarb's site if I see eveyone else there.