Where to post articles (outside CPA)

R

rakso

I remember the old talk about churning out articles and tagging the CPA URL at the bottom.

I also saw the front page and saw a comment, about sending different articles to different sites for different readers.

My advice... don't.

One thing about writing on the Net seems to be a bit of name recall. People won't click on every article on every site, and I think it takes 3-5 articles just to get people to notice yours is a familiar name.

I'd recommend picking a place and sticking with it.

N

Notepad

Thanks for the adivce, Rasko.

That particular article about 8th Edition I felt affected tournament players more than casual. Same would have been the case with a Tourney Report; I would have sent it to a tourney site and not a casual site.

I understand what you mean about recognition. For that reason I'll only write for either CPA (casual issues and humor) or Star City (tournament issues). General game issues I'll have to weigh which side they seem to have an effect on more.

MTGNews has a new article feature, but I won't write for them. No need to spread too thin. Never felt like trying writing for Brainburst, Mindripper, etc. CPA and Star City are the only two I like, so I'll write for them. :D

Onto the tagging URLs to the bottom of articles, is that actually allowed? I saw that at the bottom of your articles and figured you had special rights because you're a featured writer.

R

rakso

Why not? :)

Besides... Star City people generally like CPA.

In any case, I'd actually recommend sending to Star City and then the link to CPA. I see CPA as more of a forum site than an article site, because the latter really isn't CPA's specialty.

Maybe if more people read CPA-made articles, in which case you still want to have copies in both sites. :)

E

Erbrich

My thoughts on the issue:

While I don't do much writing of articles on Magic for the online community, I do read quite a few daily and I have to agree with rakso. Keeping your articles in one or two places is probably a good idea for a couple reasons:

1) People who read the articles on those sites will become familiar with your work

and

2) Those that like your work will know where to find it.

I know there are a few writers out there that I try to read every one of their articles, but there's no way I'm going to search every M:TG site on the net trying to find them all to read them.

Best way to get people reading you is to find a home area and stay there.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I see CPA as more of a forum site than an article site, because the latter really isn't CPA's specialty.
Well, some of the more Magic-oriented players I bet would like to change that, although how do you start? If "good" writers always go to other sites, how can the CPA ever increase that area?

I don't mind linking to your articles or anyone else's somewhere else. I just personally thought it a bit surprising that you and especially Zadok write/wrote for Star City (I don't know if you started writing for them before you came here, but I always thought you were here first :) ).

T

theorgg

Actually, Starcity links to most of our good articles!

Just look, and you'll see "from our friends at the CPA" quite frequently... or as frequently as our page gets articles. :)

A

Apollo

Personally, I only look here, and I like SeFRo's stuff, so I say you should post everything to the CPA.:)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by theorgg
Actually, Starcity links to most of our good articles!

Just look, and you'll see "from our friends at the CPA" quite frequently... or as frequently as our page gets articles. :)
Really? I just never read them (or any other site for that matter) so have never known that... cool :)

N

Notepad

You should check it out, Spidey. We've gotten two links recently, thanks to my comic churning :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but I surf too many sites as it is... I just started going to WOTC's site since there's only one article a day.

But as long as they'd like to link to us, that's cool...

N

Notepad

Hopefully, they will link to us more. I am *gasp* contemplating expanding to 6 comics a week -- five here and one on Star City, and having a link thing like Tan does, but on the comic file. Something like, "Fast Effect appears weekly at Star City Games and daily at the Casual Players Alliance". :D

T

train

that would be okay...

Please leave a special message inviting those of the female gender...

There's a shortcoming of those in the Magic community...;)

O

orgg

She's kinda cute...

There's this picture of her in a Serra Angel costume on sideboard.com...

*clears throat*

I'll stop, now...

*theorgg wishes that Orgg costume he commissioned wasn't abandoned...

N

Notepad

>> She's kinda cute...

What the hell is wrong with geeks? You are clearly fixated on the red hair. Look at the face, dude. Your gag reflexes should kick in then. Also, see: Yellow Friggen Snaggleteeth.

But you're right, this is actually a GOOD looking specimen of Magic female, as comapred to the rest.

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by train
that would be okay...

Please leave a special message inviting those of the female gender...

There's a shortcoming of those in the Magic community...;)
I occasionaly run into female players and invite them to the site. Of course, more of them get scared away for the same reasons they run away from gaming stores...

-Ferret

"OMG! It's a girl! Will you date me????"

N

Notepad

*Imagines pimple-faced geek, rushing up with his hands DEEP in his pockets, his head hung sideways, and a facial tick like a time bomb going a thousand ticks per second...*

*imagines poor female just walking into the game shop, just to buy a dice or some cards for her BOYFRIEND*

*imagines confrontation as geek yells, "YOU HAVE BIGGER BOOBS THAN MY 500 POUND FRIEND IN THE CORNER!!! YOU'RE A GIRL!!! WILL YOU...uh, like, er, will ya...wanna go....um, wanna go out!?!?!"*

That would scare anybody.