What's with Quirion Ranger?

I

I8Piggo

When is Quirion Ranger a useful card?

-Daniel

Disremember not the fate of the once noble tortoise my child, for that which befalls a beast so obliging could be whence forth comes the end of us.

K

krichaiushii

Its a useful way to nurse more mana out of a deck, as well as to use a useful creature ability just one more time.

With a Horn of Greed in play, it leads to a card every turn.

Suprise, I can block, after all.

Only one mana shy of a card's casting cost, with no land in hand to play? Tap all your lands, and with the mana floating in your pool, untap a creature by putting one of the tapped forests in your hand. Play the forest for that extra mana. Cast your spell.

That is primarily how I have used them in the past.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Building on krichaiushii's thoughts, it's also useful when you have Winter Orb out. You can also keep a little less land (forests) in your deck and put more creatures in (used in the first versions of Stompy back in MirVLite days).

T

terzarima

Also another thought It has multicolor choice which can help if you're playing green with another color

I

I8Piggo

But it what kind of deck would it be more useful then, say, Llanowar Elf?

A

arhar

The card was designed to help green mages fight Stasis, which was very big those days.

(from wizards.com)

:)

I

I8Piggo

ooh. It makes sense now. Now I have a use for these little buggers! Go crush that stasis deck! Speaking of which, I think I'll post a stasis deck...

G

Gizmo

Quirion Ranger not only allows you to cut down your land count, but it also helps you abuse Llanowar Elf. You asked when it was better than a LlElf, when usually they are played at the same time...

ie:
Turn One: Forest, Llanowar Elf
Turn Two: tap Forest, play Quirion Ranger, tap LlElf, return Forest to untap LlElf, play Forest, tap LlElf (again) play 3cc of monsters.

You just used GGGG on the second turn, and you only had one Forest in hand...

A

Apollo

It's also not bad with the Cradle (tap it, return it, play it and tap it again).

I

I8Piggo

I don't believe you can use it to bounce a Cradle. Good thought though.

F

Fire Slinger

What does the Quirion Ranger do?
Is it something like:
T: return a forest to your hand?
or
0: return a forest to your hand?

What set is it out of?
Common? Uncommon? Rare??
Casting cost?

I

Istanbul

Turn 1: Forest, Wild Growth.
Turn 2: Forest, Quirion Ranger, Priest of Titania.
Turn 3: Tap both forests, tap Priest of Titania. GGGGG in pool.
Untap Priest of Titania to return Forest to hand.
Play Forest. Tap Priest of Titania, tap Forest.
Play Verdant Force.

I

I8Piggo

from Mirage, common (i think)
cost one green mana to cast, 1/1

F

Fire Slinger

Quirion Ranger
G

Return a forest to your hand: Untap target creature.

Interesting....