Whatever happened to the Fifth Color?

• Thread starter Cateran Emperor
  • Start date

What happened to Black in 7th?

• R.I.P. Black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's not THAT bad just yet, but it's getting worse.

• Stop whining, Black got Nightmare. Obviously, THIS is the fatty that represents Black

• WotC: "We can't have another Black Summer. Let's just replace the good stuff in 6th with blatantly

• Total voters
G

Gizmo

Pram is like a cradle on wheels. You have to have them - um, baby carriage (trying to remember my '3 men and a baby' here)?

C

Cateran Emperor

Oh right, "dummy" meant pacifier. I get it now.

Still one of the greatest quotes ever. ;)

D

Duel

Whimsy, my point is, Seventh Edition didn't kill black. Bargain cycling out killed black. Black hasn't been good since. Black has Shadow in Rath, Bargain in Urza's, and what in Masques? Mercenaries? I'd laugh if it weren't so sad. Black needs broken cards. Black is only good with broken cards and mass desruction. This is always true. We just don't have either now.

Z

Zadok001

Well, Duel, if you really want an example of what Black lost, here's one. Black has, count 'em, exactly NO creatures with toughness greater than 5 in 7th. None. Zero. Zip. Nada. Nightmare doesn't count. There. That's something black lost that is fairly signifigant. No longer can black consistantly block Blasty and friends in the base set, for lack of Evil Eye of Orms-By-Gore. Not much, but that's something lost.

(Btw, how silly is this? Evil Eye sucks when it is originally printed, so they put it in the base set. Then it sucks some more, so it goes in the next base set. Not done sucking yet, they put it in a THIRD base set! And then, suddenly, people start playing it... And it's gone from the base set. :) WTF is up with THAT twisted logic?)

D

Duel

Um, why does black need them? Once blasty leaves, what does it need it for? It has removal, no?

Z

Zadok001

"Once blasty leaves..."

Once Blasty leaves, everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) changes. But Blasty ain't left yet. A similar statement would be "Once black is good again..."

:)

D

Dark_Tira

I can't believe how many people are underestimating black! Especially Zadok! Even he should know that dredge skeletons will usually be a better choice to hold off a blasty better than evil eyes.
Just because black is losing the tutor and hasn't got any creatures as broken as blasty is no reason to bury it. From the 7th spoilers it looks like black has a lot of stuff to keep it going in the long term. In fact it looks to have better card drawing power than blue does. It also will have a lot of good early discard, and I see no reason to complain about the creatures. They aren't as fat as most of the other colors creatures but that hardly matters for black.
Black will never die as long as there are good players who can recognize it's power and utilize it.

D

Duel

Booya! Thanks, Tira. I agree. Besides black hasn't rolled over and died quite yet anyways. Look at the second place PT tokyo deck. Look at the most common decks there. Look at Dave Williams' deck. Black is still good, simply not quite as abusive as it used to be. Tira's just upset because his Reaps are no longer as useful as they once were....

D

Dark_Tira

Thanks for your support Duel but as a clarification, Reap didn't enter my mind at all when I wrote my last post. I happen to be an avid black player myself, moreover I'm a type 2 black player and the changes in the set affect me directly. I just sometimes get tired of people complaining about how a color or a deck archetype is completely destroyed by a change in the environment.