What would YOU like to ask the heads of Magic Online?

O

orgg

'lo, all. I have gotten permission to interview via e-mail two of the higher-ups of Magic Online; however, when I do an interview, I interview for the Magic community itself. Within guidelines below, please tell me what you yourself would like to know about Magic Online, and please try to be detailed. Generic Questions do not allow the interviewer to easily shape a 'good' question from them as a long and involved one.

The Guidelines are:

1. No 'get ____ to sign this' style questions. This is an E-MAILED interview.
2. No questions about 'Why do you want us to pay for virtual cards, i prefr paper for my money.' This debate is one for those who DO pay for virtual cards, not for the developers of said virtual cards.
3. No asking for free cards. There's always one or two morons who will atttempt this.

Easy, right?

Don't dissappoint me, CPA! You know who'll get the article when it's done. :D

N

Notepad

Feel free to use any of the below, or to alter them. This is one of my "articles in progress" files of which I have many. Unlike the others, I have mothballed this project thanks to WotC being uptight a-holes.

Orgg, I got permission for an email interview and these questions suddenly went behind red tape and limbo. Guess they aren't as cooperative as they pretend to be...

Questions in this document have been written by Sean Roney (kwbishop@hotmail.com), for use in a future "Casual Chronicler" to be posted at www.PlayorDraw.com. The purpose of this interview is to clarify public information about Adepts on Magic Online, by interviewing Adepts themselves as well as somebody at Wizards of the Coast who can make an official statement regarding these questions.

Edit: Wizards of the Coast, after having sounded positive about answering these questions, went silent after getting them. These questions are now intended to be asked to anybody who knows about Adepts, for an unofficial interview with full anonymity promised to the person interviewed.

1) Questions for Magic Online Adepts:
====================================
What is your Adept screen name?

How long have you been an Adept?

Have you had previous experience with online moderating or online service? Is so, where?

Why did you become an Adept?

What qualities about yourself do you think helped you to become an Adept?

As an Adept, what is the main duty you find yourself performing?

What is your preferred duty to undertake as an Adept?

What is the most enjoyable thing about being an Adept?

What is the least enjoyable thing about being an Adept?

What are the major challenges of being an Adept?

How long do you see yourself remaining in this role of online public service?

Has there ever been a time when you wanted to quit being an Adept?

What drives you to remain serving as an Adept?

What would you consider a really problematic player? How do you deal with such a player?

How do you handle minor violations of the Code of Conduct?

How do you handle major violations of the Code of Conduct?

How do you handle relatively undefined (or completely undefined) violations of the Code of Conduct, such as bug exploitation?

Speaking as a person who knows the game and not in any way attempting to represent WotC's opinion: What changes, if any, would you like to see made to the Code of Conduct?

Since you have seen what works and what doesn't work from a relatively "insider" perspective, what would you say your hopes are for the future of the game?

Overall, how easy or difficult is it to deal with the public?

Is there anything the playing public should know about Adepts to understand them better?

2) Questions for Wizards Customer Service:
=========================================

Please tell us a little about yourself.

Why are Adepts used rather than WotC employees?

What are the duties of Adepts?

The game has a nice tutorial mode, and the beginner areas are great for getting new players on their feet. However, do Adepts ever perform the duty of mentoring new players?

There is a form on the Adept website where players can sign up to possibly undergo Adept training. Can you state how many players are on the waiting list to potentially become Adepts?

Who is in charge of deciding who becomes an Adept?

What type of qualities make a person an ideal candidate to be an Adept?

What does it take to become an Adept? What type of training and evaluation is performed on potential candidates? How long does the process normally take?

How many active Adepts are there?

On average, how many Adepts are online at any one time? Is there a minimum number of Adepts that need to be on? Is there a maximum number?

What powers do Adepts have to make sure fair and honest play remains the norm for MTGO? What types of punishments can they hand out?

Are Adepts compensated for their time?

Are there rewards for Adepts who perform above and beyond their defined duties?

Would WotC ever consider hiring an Adept for a customer service position if the Adept proved himself or herself exceptional in his or her duties?

Can Adepts, on their regular playing accounts, play in tournaments or other events where prizes can be won?

Can Adepts see more in a game than a normal watcher? (Example: Can they see both players' hands.)

Can WotC staff see more in a game than a normal watcher?

Followup: If Adepts or WotC staff cannot see more than a normal watcher, how can they tell if people are abusing the game? (Example: How do they know a player would be stalling rather than just trying to make a difficult choice?)

Is there a type of "players to watch" list, similar to the DCI Suspended Players list? Something that WotC staff or Adepts can reference when trying to determine if a player regularly behaves harmfully toward other players?

I notice Adepts usually have to deal with the angry public at times of server instability or bugs in general (set releases come to mind). Are Adepts given tips on how to handle upcoming rules changes or program/server problems?

I presume the location or method of access to such a forum would be confidential, so I am merely wondering: Is there an Adept channel, mailing list, or message board where Adepts can discuss issues pertinent with their duties with each other?

I've noticed Adepts are cautious about players trying to figure out who they are. This is understandable, considering it opens possibilities to charges of collusion or favoritism. What happens to an Adept if their identity is revealed or discovered?

In the chance that misconduct happens involving an Adept, what warnings or punitive measures would he or she face?

If an Adept quits, or is relinquished of duty, is it possible for that person to become an Adept in the future?

Are there any Adepts who could be considered experts with the Code of Conduct?

Who is in charge of making decisions to update or change the Code of Conduct?

Followup: Is Adept input taken into account when making such decisions?

Followup: Are there changes in the works in order to handle the more undefinied regions of the Code of Conduct, such as expressing in definite terms where bug abuse would fall?

If a player has a problem with something about the game, what should they do rather than gripe in public channels or complain to Adepts about it?

R

Rooser

Since I don't have much interest in MTGO, I don't have any questions, but I just would like to take the time to send kudos to Seffy for putting so much effort into his questions.

N

Notepad

Thanks for the props. Though, the file was all for nothing, as the questions have just been sitting here on the hard drive since they got shot down by WotC.

Hopefully, though, Orgg can find some of them to salvage and ask. :D

R

Reverend Love

Why can you only trade 32 cards at a time? And is there any plans in the works to raise this number?

Is there any talk on adding the older sets to MTGO? Tempest, Exodus etc. Just without the option of redeeming in a full set.

With the older sets available (even beta) MTGO could foster a thriving type1 community.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Rooser
Since I don't have much interest in MTGO, I don't have any questions, but I just would like to take the time to send kudos to Seffy for putting so much effort into his questions.
Indeed, I'll second that.

M

mythosx

How do emerging formats online become official?

How do they eventually effect offline play if at all?

Does emerging offline formats effect online play?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Rooser
Thirdificated! ;)

Ferret

Staff member
I've seen lots of questions I'd ask myself such as maximum number of cards in trades, other formats, and of course, the questions about Adepts (although, I lay off of them because they don't get paid for their job, take lots of abuse, and one happens to be a CPA admin :) ).

One question I'd add would involve some of their code of conduct rules. They discourage all forms of profanity or provocative language (which can be fun and amusing in the right context), but they have no problem w/ people trash talking. In my tabletop settings we've never had a problem w/ profanity. It's all in fun, but if someone ever started bad-mouthing other people's deckbuilding skills or saying that they need to spend more money to get a collection as great as theirs, we'd show them the door.

Another question is: 'Why haven't you made the CPA a WotC affiliate?!?! When I was told to remove our url from my profile after it had been there for 17 months w/o complaint - and they told me that I now have a mark on my account because of this. I don't blame the Adept for alerting me of this - it's just his job. I blame the system.

-Ferret

"Of course, I can tell you about another group of people 'just doing their jobs': Nazis!"

O

orgg

The 'how does a Magic website become an affiliate' question is one that I've got on my shortlist that WILL be asked. I've got marked on my account as well, Ferret.

By the way, nice to see you back around! Will I see you on MOL soon?

N

Notepad

How did the interview go? From the looks of it, I'll bet your project got mothballed, just like everyone else's tries.

O

orgg

No, no-- I'm editing the questions I gathered from everywhere currently.

I'll send it in a couple of weeks, and then give them two or three months for turnaround.

Doctor Garfield took longer than that, but look how amazing that interview is. Patience, Sef. That's the key to my style of interviewing.

N

Notepad

Screw patience. They're corrupt a-holes who deserve no respect because they give none out.

Your question in the Ferrett's Ask the Editor is a key example. He was candid with you in his answer. It shows he respects your tough question. He deserves respect because of that. It was awesome.

And in the end, despite siding with you and Ferrett on wanting the Dojo style SCG, I agree with the reasoning on why things are they way they are.

Has WotC, since becoming a huge corporate monster, ever been so intelligent and openly honest with any player? Hell no.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
At the risk of going off-topic, I pretty much agree with Ferrett and the CPA is lucky in that apparently there's little overhead that Ed swallows it all (I guess the cost of the domain name and server). We obviously can't pay writers so I totally understand when they jump ship to a site that DOES pay (cough cough SeFRo ;) ) and have seen the recruiting myself by other sites for writers here. Of course, that makes writers sporadic - the lack of updates on the front page is evident of that. But that's a slight downside on a pretty good if not stagnant site. :)

N

Notepad

I haven't written anything for here or for PoD in a long time. Said to both I'd be starting up again, multiple times, and never did.

Just nothing really interesting to write about anymore.

Lucky to have the CPA, but in this age of tournament-domination on websites, there really is very little interest in casual stuff. I know, everyone can name an exception and make a list of what they would dream to see covered...but the fact is, nobody will write those articles because nobody will read them. Not even on SCG. A recent Ferrett article proved my belief pretty much right (well, on the writer side of things, anyway).

I hope Orgg's interview went well, if anything.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's true. It showed when we tried to do theme weeks here and provided people with topics - still hardly anyone sent anything in. And we just don't have enough people here to sustain interest enough to write about casual play...