What Would YOU Do?

I

Istanbul

You're starting your first game.
You win the flip/roll/whatever, and get to go first. Hooray!
You play an Island, and cast Extract.
Looking through your opponent's deck, you discovering that he's playing Opp/Orb.

Which do you take? Opposition or Static Orb?

C

Chaos Turtle

That depends upon how many of each I find, and what deck I'm playing.

If there are 4 of each in the library (none in his hand, then) and I'm playing heavy control, I'd go for Orb. Opp is easier to counter.

In any other circumstance I'd probably take Opposition.

Z

Zadok001

Depends on the deck and my deck. First, I wonder why I'm playing Extract maindeck. :) Assuming I'm with Mono-U or U/B Xerox-esque build (what I've been testing), I take Opp. Orb is easier to control for my deck, since I'm playing Temporal Adepts that play hell with it. But it does depend on how many I find. I'd work off the assumption he's with 4 Opp and 3 Orb (par for the course), if he already has one, I'd take the other. Etc...

G

Gizmo

First of all I count them. If he has 3 Orb and 3 Oppostion in his deck I`ll consider if he`s holding an Oppostion, but also consider if he`s holding both or not (ie, can I work out his hand by what`s left in his deck? Probably I can)

I then look how many creatures he has in his deck, what they are, and how well I can control them. If I`m going to kill his creatures then I`m not scared of Opposition.

I then look at my deck (metaphorically). Am I protected from either effect in some way (by Pro:Blue for instance).

Then I decide if I`m more scared by him tapping things down, or by him slowing the game pace to a crawl.

Then after Ive done all that ... I take the Static Orb.
:p

M

Mikeymike

Take the Merfolk of the Pearl Trident, you won't regret it.

But if he doesn't have that maindeck, go for the Orb. Its cheaper and non-color dependent (i.o.w. a little easier for him to cast), its an artifact so its a little harder to deal with than an enchantment, there might be 1 fewer of them in the deck, and its harder to stop its effect.

C

Cateran Emperor

Take an Island, of course :p

In all seriousness, I can't think of any deck I could be playing in blue where I'd rather take the Opposition. It's got to be the Orb every time.

Z

Zadok001

Well, I know the blue deck I've been testing has an easier time with Opp, but that's likely just me. :)