What Would You Do?

S

Seeker of Truth

OK, I promised I'd list the cards I got from the Prophecy prerelease so that you could see if I made the right decision (and so that you all can drool over my outrageous luck :rolleyes: ), so here it is, arranged according to color:

GREEN:

Masques:
Deepwood Drummer
Desert Twister
Food Chain
Invigorate
Rushwood Herbalist
Sacred Prey
Silverglade Elemental
Snorting Gahr

Prophecy:
Calming Verse
Pygmy Razorback
Silt Crawler
Spitting Spider
Thresher Beast
Verdant Field
Vintara Elephant

BLUE:

Masques:
Blockade Runner
Brainstorm
Buoyancy
Dehydration
Diplomatic Immunity
Misstep
Port Inspector
Shoving Match
Timid Drake
Tidal Kraken (whoo-hoo!)

Prophecy:
Alexi's Cloak
Coastal Hornclaw
Excavation
Rhystic Deluge
Rhystic Study
Spiketail Hatchling x2
Withdraw x2

RED:

Masques:
Battle Rampart
Cave Sense
Cavern Crawler
Flaming Sword
Furious Assault
Kyren Sniper
Ogre Taskmaster

Prophecy:
Branded Brawlers
Citadel of Pain
Devastate
Keldon Berserker x2
Latulla's Orders
Panic Attack

BLACK:
Masques:
Alley Grifters
Bog Smugglers
Deathgazer
Haunted Crossroads
Snuff Out
Specter's Wail
Undertaker

Prophecy:
Agent of Shauku
Bog Glider
Flay
Outbreak
Plague Fiend
Plague Wind (YES!) (foil!)
Soul Strings x2

WHITE:

Masques:
Alabaster Wall
Arrest
Devout Witness
Fresh Volunteers
Jhovall Queen ( :cool: ) (foil!)
Moment of Silence
Nightwind Glider
Ramosian Lieutenant
Soothing Balm
Tonic Peddler

Prophecy:
Blessed Wind (Oooh, aaah...)
Diving Griffin
Excise x2
Glittering Lynx x2
Mine Squad
Reveille Squad x2
Rhystic Circle
Shield Dancer
Troubled Healer (foil!)

NONBASIC LAND:

Masques:
Rushwood Grove
Sandstone Needle
Subterranean Hangar

Prophecy:
Rhystic Cave

Plus 6 of each basic land.

The deck I made went like this:

11x Plains
6x Swamp
1x Subterranean Hangar

1x Alley Grifters
1x Bog Smugglers
1x Deathgazer
1x Flay
1x Haunted Crossroads
1x Outbreak
1x Plague Wind
1x Snuff Out
2x Soul Strings
1x Undertaker

1x Arrest
1x Blessed Wind
1x Devout Witness
1x Diving Griffin
2x Excise
1x Fresh Volunteers
2x Glittering Lynx
1x Jhovall Queen
1x Mine Bearer
1x Nightwind Glider
1x Ramosian Lieutenant
2x Reveille Squad
1x Shield Dancer

Totals: 27 spells, 18 lands, 45 cards

By the way, the tournament rules allow you to trade up to 5 basic lands for 5 other basic lands before play, so I traded 5 Islands for 5 Plains (which is why I have 11 Plains in this deck).

Please tell me what you think.

S

Seeker of Truth

I'm surprised no one has responded to this post. Does this mean that what I did was right? I'm already questioning the use of the Glittering Lynxes, and one of the prevent-damage creatures probably should have been maindecked. Plus, those green cards are looking better and better, and that Avatar was never even used, and I'm told that that was the easiest Avatar to cast for 2 mana in sealed deck.

Any comments?

G

Gizmo

Okay, I`ll have a crack at it.

Reasons to play colours:
Green - Lots of fat monsters.
Blue - None
Red - None
Black - Undertaker, nothing else really worthwhile, just bad Grey Ogres and Plague Wind (way too expensive for Masques, you want to be discarding land to Spellshapers, not playing it).
White - an absolutely astounding set of cards.

Okay, 40 cards, 23 spells, 17 land - that`s the correct ratio.

MONSTERS (17)
Deepwood Drummer
Ramosian Lieutenant
Fresh Volunteers
------
Silt Crawler
Nightwind Glider
Alabaster Wall
Devout Witness
Shield Dancer
Diving Griffin
Troubled Healer
------
Snorting Gahr
Reveille Squad
Reveille Squad
------
Silverglade Elemental
Thresher Beast
Spitting Spider
Jhovall Queen

TRICKS (6)
Invigorate
Verdant Field
Desert Twister
Excise
Excise
Arrest

LAND (17)
8 Forest
9 Plains

Easy Peasy!

BTW - it`s really important to give out draft lists as a mana curve, like I did here, otherwise it just swamps us as a list of random commons. Putting into the mana curve helps break it up, and mana curves are essential for draft so it helps me analyse your deck faster.
But you didn`t know that, so I can`t really grumble.

G

Gumby Khan

Creatures are the key to limited formats. Beats win 75% of the time and for every threat on the board, your opponent needs to take care of or he'll lose. Another trick is to find some synergy, like Squee+spellshaper or Highway robber+haunted crossroads, etc. The synergy I see in Gizmo's deck is big fatties that can get bigger (drummer/invigorate) and untap when opponent attacks! That'll stall a rebel army down and make blue flyers stay home to block! IMHO, your original deck was creature light and probably more often than not you were praying for the wind to pull out a save. I could be wrong, though, so you may ignore everything above. If so, read below.

You d'man, never change your deck-building and keep on trucking!!!!

S

Seeker of Truth

Gizmo and Gumby Khan:

Thanks for the feedback! It was a real debacle for me to not include green, and another voice was telling me to include red in order to play the Avatar of Fury, but you're right, now that I look back on my cards, I can't believe I didn't play green.

The problem is, though, that that Plague Wind was just such a dominating card in that environment! Like I said, Plague Wind won me every single game in which it was cast. I won 6 games with it, which translates to 3 match wins, and I went 4-2. Perhaps I was just lucky, or maybe the environment was just slower than usual (which is what I thought), but Plague Wind was just so powerful that I couldn't help but include it in my deck. The Subterranean Hangar helped, too, as it cut a couple of turns off the casting time for the Plague Wind.

Come to think of it, Plague Wind was also the reason I didn't play the Troubled Healer, as I was too afraid to sac lands that would later come in handy to cast the Wind. I suppose Gumby Khan's right when he said that Plague Wind probably became the Holy Grail of this deck, and the whole game was basically stalling in hopes of drawing it.

I did the same thing in the Nemesis prerelease, too. I got some outstanding green cards, but I passed them up to play R/W/B because there were some killer cards in those colors I felt I had to play. And I LIKE green! I don't know why I keep shunning it in prereleases.

Anyway, thanks for the input, and also thanks to Gizmo for informing me about deck listing customs. I'll keep that in mind, Gizmo. :)