what was better

G

godhand3

Was playing magic better before or after tempest? It may be just personal preference, and it's not that I hate the newer expansions, but sometimes I like to play old school decks. Especially in black and red (bolts vs shocks). But the newer expansions do bring alot of good cards to every color. Is there anybody else that likes alot of the older cards?

D

Duel

I think that tempest was the best. Pre-tempest, there were high-cost cards dominating the enviroment, and post-tempest, there were none whatsovever.

P

Phyrexian Pie-Eater

I personally am a HUGE tempest fan. Back in the day, the game was little known, and you couldn't find a game if you offered $200 to the winner(in my area). Post tempest, the game has actually gotten to mainstreem. While there are more players, there are too many. Some are to dumb to exist in normal society, let alone a society based on wits and quick-thinking(we've all seen these yokells with their dojo decks). At tempest there was the perfect balance of players, cards, and play. You could find another person and play with good (not great like the P9) cards. Then WoTC changed the whole thing by mass marketing to every1. They dumbed down the game, and pissed me off. Whew, that was tiring. had to say all that.

D

Duel

Money, my friend. I played at the card store, and routinely got my head handed to me, on a silver platter, no less, because I am a casual player and play very few decks with rares in them. Tempest brought about what I call, the age of the Overpowered Uncommon. Which I, and most casual players, should love.

C

Chaos Turtle

After Tempest!

I still remember seeing buyback in action for the first time and thinking, "This changes everything."

Hmm... bring back buyback! :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
For me, I thought the 5 ACC spells in Alliances really changed the way Magic was played. Obviously Force of Will, but the rest of them too (although I didn't play with the green one alot). You just could never be sure what your opponent had up his sleeve even if he/she was tapped out (or vice versa).