What the holy ****!? another 8th rant

N

Nightstalkers

I just got a chance to go buy some 8th and found that my normal haunt has gone out of stock quite suddenly of 8th. Now this is all fine and dandy, but when I decided to buy a 40 card starter instead and found an Urza's Armor RARE, I was almost thrown out for my vulgar, and quite imaginative language.

Sure I can forgive good old WotC for allowing dumboink writers to publish they're works as .\\agic books. Sure I can forgive them for allowing the change in the cards. But when you start relabling labeled uncommons into rares, I get pissed off.

Now, what should we do with this travesty? should we assimilate it and just live it out? or do we stand up and say "hey guys, you can't do this crap to us."

Its just something I found wrong with the set sofar.

Oh, another thing. No counterspell, yet you reprint another one of my favorites Mana Leak? and with the original card artwork? I can almost forgive you for the Urza's Armor s***.

A

Apollo

Yeah, and not only that, but Urza's Armor is white!

...Oh, wait, sorry... it just looks white...

M

Mr_Pestilence

Yeah, I'm kinda neutral on the new card face, but the Artifacts look like bad xeroxes. (Should that be Xeroxes?)

C

Captain Caveman

I really like the look of the Core Set "foils" Lightning Elemental
looks great. Some of the foils are just average but many of them
are outstanding, IMO.

I'll have to agree with some of your comments about the content
of 8th. To me it seems rather stupid to reprint some of the older
uncommons in the Core Set rare slot. Maybe there's a good
reason for this, but I just don't see it.

Overall, I think they did a really good job with 8th but I would
have picked different cards to fill those slot.

N

Nightstalkers

I finally got a look at the 8th foils at this past FNM, and am impressed.

I've always been impartial to foil cards, and gotten rid of just about all of them I gained through packs immediately after I aquired them. the new 8th look to foils pleases me, and am still trying to get ahold of some of the foils.

N

Notepad

You want to hear three good jokes that may make you respond with that colorful language of yours?

-All C.O.P.s are now uncommon
-Story Circle is rare
-Howl From Beyond and Sandstorm changed colors and are now uncommon in BOTH 8E AND SCOURGE!!!

Ferret

Staff member
Hmmm....I think I have it figured out: Whenever a valuable common/uncommon is taken out of print it's value in the secondary market skyrockets... I believe that WotC wants in on this action, so they release the cards as an Uncommon/Rare. This causes average players to buy more Starters/Boosters/Core sets. WotC makes a lot of money.

-Ferret

"I knew I got into the wrong job..."

N

NorrYtt

C.o.P.'s were moved to the uncommon slot to make White viable in limited.

Story Circle is an absolute house. It's power level alone is good enough to merit a Rare slot.

Enrage and Sandstorm are now in their correct colors. Enrage is a strong limited card that killed many of my opponents via Lone Wolf.

Ferret

Staff member
I'm just not happy w/ moving cards to other colours just because they believe they're "out of flavour". What ever happened to keeping a balance in the game? As anyone can tell from many of my posts I miss Sryb Sprites. Blue had Flying Men so it wasn't like they didn't have an equiv creature. It just makes me think that WotC was going out of their way to give Green a disadvantage. Sure, they have Spiders to block the flyers, but why should a colour have to be DEFENSIVE (well, White's another story).

When you give a colour a definite advantage w/ a built-in evasion and take that ability away from another colour you give a clear advantage to the one colour. Another question related to this? Since when are Birds blue or white? Green is a colour of nature. They've got bears and squirels. Why can't Birds be considered in the same category (Mana Birds don't count!)?

Anyhoo, if Sryb Sprites ever were reprinted they would probably be brought back as a rare...

-Ferret

"How about Flying Squirels? That would close..."

N

Nightstalkers

Story Circle was underestimated while I was in Memphis, but now its full potential is going to be recognized now that its a rare (not that its going to be hard for you collectors to get 4 in a deck now).

I kinda figured that the CoP's would turn Uncommon or rare just because of the ability to deflect damage. Hell, I saw a newbie kid almost take FNM one time just because he made a protection deck.

- The Nightstalkers[/glow]

"Bad boys bad boys, whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when we come for you." — COPS theme song.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Changing a card's commonality is nothing new, WOTC's been doing that for ages. Why the fuss?

Especially about CoP's... since they've been common in every set they've been in, everyone should have tons of them. Heck, I'll glady trade them as uncommon now :D

T

train

As for the cops making white more viable in limited... why... I'd want as many cops as possible in limited - there's not much enchantment control in limited - so If I drop a cop against my opponent... they'd better have the answer... or more creatures than I have mana...;)

Killer Joe

Yeah, the rarity switch is kind of a head scratcher for me but, whatever. I have plenty of CoP's, Story Circles and Rewinds so I'm not worried about having enough.

As for the Color Wheel of Magic, I suppose Disenchant was a little out of color flavor what with 3 colors already able to get rid of Artifacts (White, Red & Green). I am sorta glad that Armageddon went, White has Mass Creature removal but why did it have mass Land removal?

Green flyers? Green had another champion flyer: Gaea's Skyfolk. Now THAT made sense. I think I remember in MM block there were moth's and insects that had flying. But now with attention being paid to Color Wheel nuances I guess it's better.

~Mark

T

train

I think the 8th set is still better for Limited formats...

"There's more Utility!!!..."

N

Nightstalkers

They didn't print any new lands in Scourge because they knew that they were going to be reprinting Urza's lands...

Its unfair to Urza!

T

train

They didn't print any new lands in Scourge because they knew that they were going to be reprinting Urza's lands...
Temple of the False God comes to mind...

Are you talking about basic lands?...

N

Nightstalkers

I mean, if they were really going to pull off this "bigger is better" speil, they would need to make it more viable than just every color teamed up with Green all of a sudden.

But now that Urza's lands are reprinted, you can pretty much make a faster "bigger is better" deck just by throwing out Mr. Urza's famous old fashioned lands.

Hmm.... Why reinvent the wheel anyways? its a great little set of cards and since they are so beautiful in foil, I think I should really start to actively track a set down.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think the "bigger is better" was more an Onslaught block theme than the general direction that Magic was going... Mirrodin/8th won't necessarily reflect that.

T

train

8th already has shown that it is not the size that matters... it's the cohesion amongst all the cards...

I think it wil involve a lot of "deck" manipulation...