What the heck?

D

Duel

Fascinating that "The Events" (as they have been so labeled) of September 11 still piss people off in these forums.... I was reading the threat about Mouth's death (*grins*) and was shocked at what it turned into...

Guys... I'm not even gonna address the events or anything surrounding them, but please... don't assume that one opinion is "right" or "intelligent" because everyone is working from a different bias. Gizmo, you're the worst offender here. While I agree with you, you tend to be both judgemental and tactless. Frankly, because I'm judgemental and tactless too, I don't really mind, but I see how others would.

One of the reasons I took a hiatus is because of all this anger that was going on around that. It's kinda sad to see it still around.

D

DÛke

I'm not operating from any biased side. If the truth hurts, so be it...

Whatever...

A

Apollo

I agree with Duel. I think many of us here are now just ignoring anything that even starts to degenerate into a foreign affairs discussion, because you know it will be a flame war shortly. Most of these threads are Spidey, DUke, Gizmo, Arhar (sorry if I'm forgetting another regular) and a bystander or two going around in circles yelling at each other. And I don't particularly blame any of them, but it's not getting anywhere. As far as I'm concerned, September 11 was a day of huge importance, but it's time to put it behind us somewhat. Not forget it, but move on. A (nominally) Magic site shouldn't have more threads on sept. 11 than on Magic. Especially when it's now late April. If need be, I say create another forum for foreign affairs. Heck, just take the testing forum, since it doesn't get much use. Because I think the constant bickering (which I have occassionally been party to) is bringing down the quality of the site and polluting any forums they end up in.

U

Ura

nothing is ever free of bias...

our experiences and education, what we have seen and lived through form our opinions and our bias is developed from what we find to be the most correct and/or just in our minds. Whether the world majority agrees with us or not is of little relevance as bias is from within ourselves.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
But it's a positive sign if a person can take other's opinions and perhaps have a change of what that person thought was correct. Or if the other person is open, cause a change in their thinking.

D

DÛke

In the case of 9/11, assuming everyone is biased is exactly assuming that everyone gives a crap about the event. It's also assuming that everyone cares about Islamic issues and conflicts within the Islamic community itself and/or with the United States.

However, not everybody gives a crap about the event or Islam. Some people out there just don't *need* to be biased, because they don't give a damn about either "side." However, when such people say that the U.S. is just a big pile of dog s***, everyone in the U.S. would *see* that as "biased." You see, sometimes, we fear what just may be the truth, therefore, we justify all reactions as being "biased to a certain degree," all for the sake of sanity.

G

Gizmo

Thing is, in case you havent noticed... we arent talking about 9/11 anymore we are talking about events in Palestine. Its not as though we are STILL going on about old news... we are talking about new news.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it's kinda new news although there's been "some" saying that it's because of the heightened "terrorist awareness" that Israel has been able to get away with invading the Palestinian camps for so long (or even at all).

D

Duel

*shrugs*

My argument was against turning this into a political forum, or disrespecting someone's intelligence due to their political views. It's... like before september 11, flame wars were without ammo. Sure, we all had weapons, but we had to bonk each other over the head with them, and we all looked stupid doing it, and we knew that. So flame wars always degenerated into dumb jokes. Whether or not this helped the forum, it eased the tension, but now... people just keep shooting.

Sanctuary!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So are you saying keep the political stuff in Off-Topic and out of the forums for Magic, or all of the forums altogether?