What "primers" for beginners do you think are really needed?

R

rakso

The following "primers" have been archived for Type I and Casual Play on Beyond Dominia:

Type One Deckbuilding on a Budget -- Rakso (Oscar Tan)
Bridge/Pit -- Rakso (Oscar Tan)
Counter-Phoenix -- Rakso (Oscar Tan)
Draw Go -- Rakso (Oscar Tan)
5C Control
Keeper/Control Primer -- Exeter
Evolution of 5C Control: The Deck, The Keeper, The Franchise -- Azhrei (Darren Di Battista)
Goblin Burn -- Rakso (Oscar Tan)
Hatred -- Rakso (Oscar Tan)
Humility-Prayer -- Paul Shriar
Invasion Booster Draft -- Mike Pustilnik
Land Destruction -- Jericho
Necro
Necro Primer -- Rakso (Oscar Tan)
Necro History -- JP Meyer
Nether Void Primer -- Matt D'Avanzo
Pestilence -- Rakso (Oscar Tan)
ProsBloom -- Rakso (Oscar Tan)
Tradewind -- Rakso (Oscar Tan)
Trix -- Mikephoen (Michael Bower)
TurboLand -- Nick F
Zoo -- Luke Berry

They haven't been uploaded yet, but RecSur, White Weenie and Deck Parfait are already ready. Some like Pox and Type I Acc Blue are also in the works.

While most people on Beyond Dominia talk about competitive Type I decks, I've been focusing on what I consider "archtype" decks, the classic type whose underlying strategies you have to understand before moving to funkier decks. I take into account casual deckbuilding in my guides, too.

What "archtypes" do you guys think have to be covered to get a good archive for beginners? The primers were begun, actually, when the questions about how to play certain decks became repetitive, and they allow for the discussion of more subtle aspects of play.

So... what should be next?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So you're asking for additional archetypes and not specific decks? 'Cause all I can think of additionally are Stasis, The Deck, Vise Age, and Chains of M.

H

Hetemti

"What "primers" for beginners do you think are really needed?"

They need to be informed that you put your lands in front, with cratures, enchantments, and artifacts behind them (Towards you), and that you don't stack lands into piles unless you have more than five. I am SO F'IN TIRED of newbies putting a lone swamp next to a pile of three mountians and another swamp, try to tap a mountain, tap two lands (which I can't see because they're too far away), half tap a third, mix them up, take forever, and then put their Goblin Guard right up against MY LANDS.

Lands are the most active, being tapped and untapped often and therefore must be in the center, closest to the opponent. Fewer Enchantmens and Artifacts are usually in play, and usually have static effects, so you don't need to watch them as closly. I don't care if that lone Braidwood Cup is a bit distant, but I will NOT allow the opportunity for someone to incorrectly pay a spell, which piled lands give great opportunity for.

That, and logicly...if you be a mighty planeswalker, your artifacts are next to you, your creatures directly in front, and the land they battle upon betwixt you and your enemy. Duh.

L

Landkiller

It doesn't matter about where the cards are, only that lands and nonlands be separate. Creatures should be in a line. Artifacts and Enchantments may be placed separately or with the creatures. Lands however, are sacred, and must not mix with other permanents.

Although, I put my lands nearest me, since it's mine.

Beginners most need to do one thing...slow down, and realize each and every decision they make, and all the options they have.

C

Cateran Emperor

First of all, a round of general applause for Rakso, his 'primers' are both an excellent appendix for veteran players and an excellent starting point for new players.

After reading your White Weenie archetype breakdown, I started my own for Red Weenie (my own preferred decktype)

Just out of curiositye, where did you get the inspiration/time to write such a masterful analysis?

A

arhar

Originally posted by Hetemti
"What "primers" for beginners do you think are really needed?"

They need to be informed that you put your lands in front, with cratures, enchantments, and artifacts behind them (Towards you), and that you don't stack lands into piles unless you have more than five. I am SO F'IN TIRED of newbies putting a lone swamp next to a pile of three mountians and another swamp, try to tap a mountain, tap two lands (which I can't see because they're too far away), half tap a third, mix them up, take forever, and then put their Goblin Guard right up against MY LANDS.

Lands are the most active, being tapped and untapped often and therefore must be in the center, closest to the opponent. Fewer Enchantmens and Artifacts are usually in play, and usually have static effects, so you don't need to watch them as closly. I don't care if that lone Braidwood Cup is a bit distant, but I will NOT allow the opportunity for someone to incorrectly pay a spell, which piled lands give great opportunity for.

That, and logicly...if you be a mighty planeswalker, your artifacts are next to you, your creatures directly in front, and the land they battle upon betwixt you and your enemy. Duh.

Lol, calm down man! Sorry to inform you, but everyone plays as they want. All the people I know or seen play (from pros like Finkel, Shvartsman, Pikula, OMS brothers to casual players of various degree of skill) play with their lands closes to them, and creatures/enchantments/artifacts closer to their opponent. Sorry if you don't like it, but it's just the way EVERYONE plays

R

rakso

Originally posted by Cateran Emperor
Just out of curiositye, where did you get the inspiration/time to write such a masterful analysis?
Every new visitor to Beyond Dominia who posts a deck, then has a mini-argument with me over why Arcane Denial and Megrim are bad cards.

Serious. :)

Now, every time I see a lousy blue deck, instead of typing five paragraphs, I just say, "Please check the Draw-Go primer." Very convenient.

Baskil: Pebbles was relegated as a part of RecSur. Tax/Rack is NOT a decktype, since it can be used in every white deck from white weenie to creatureless control decks.

Spiderman: Stasis is something we need, but no one's been testing Stasis decks definitively in Type I. After the present BD online tournament, I assume it'll materialize, so we can tell newer players to stop associating Howling Mine with Stasis because it's a bad card.

Same with Chains; I don't know whose version is good, really, since it's an obscure deck type and the card isn't that good anymore after Academy got killed.

Hetemti: Would you like a definitive guide on, "How to position your permanents to get into the habit in case you play someone who uses Chaos Orb?"

How about, "What sleeves should you use for your Chaos Orb?"

"The Deck" is covered in our 5-color control archtype. Vise Age is something I doubt anyone would do since Vise is restricted. :)

H

Hetemti

When playing against a Chaos Orb, find a vegitarian and use his/her rice patties as counters, that way the orb will land on them instead of your cards. :) I do believe the rules still state that touching a counter does not count as touching the card.

J

John`O

Mana primer? Saying how many mana sources to play,
how many coloured etc. Also maybe talk about importance of cheap
cards and mana curve.

Metagame primer, explaining the idea that different groups of players
have a different mix of decks and whats right in one place
may be wrong in another.

Forest,Elf primer could talk about various LLL/Trinity style decks.

Tradewind primer could include TS
or maybe the Survival primer should.

Primer for land based combo decks e.g.
http://www.thedojo.com/t001/t1.001108cde.shtml

Artifact decks (anything with Mishras Workshops)

John

L

Lotus Mox

The next one should be about Green Weenies
a detailed primer containing:
every cheap green creature
every creature pump spell
a 7-land Stompy decklist, etc.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I also gotta chuckle at Hetemti's mini-rant...

Hey, I play that way too, but I've also played against people like Landkiller and who arhar describe and that actually makes more sense, because you usually want to read what creatures do and it makes it easier to attack and block. Duh! ;)

I like JohnO's suggestions on the mana and metagame primer also.

L

Lotus Mox

I only heard from 7-land stompy so I don't know the exact config

AFAIK it runs Black Lotus and Mox Emerald along with Land Grants and possibly Spirit Guides, so I think it should be enough mana.

M

Mundungu

Oath ?

I was/am always fascinated by Rec/sur decks, from the original versions G/B to Tradewind survival (yes no rec but comes from there) and FEB passing by the Rec/sur squirrel prison. So Rec Sur ?

R

rakso

Rec Sur is done, or at least there's a draft on Beyond Dominia's Type I Forum (not the Primer Archive).