What Pariah Will Do To Type 2

I

Istanbul

I see U/W and B/U control becoming dominant archetypes again.

Absorb makes for early lifegain.
Meddling Mage (which will be around by then) will prevent the nastiest cards from even being played.
Cho-Manno will be back in style, with Pariah at his side.
Countermagic will be used to protect Cho-Manno from directed removal once he hits the table, or to prevent other, less nasty cards from hitting the table.
Enlightened Tutor will be used to fetch Pariah or Story Circle.
Millstones will be used for a slow, painful kill.

Rebels will be able to use Pariah too, but it'll be subject to countermagic from U/W control.
Machinehead will try to kill Cho-Manno with direct removal, and countermagic will prevent that. Concession will soon follow.
Fires will give U/W control a good race, causing many players to board in Chills and Crimson Acolytes.

B/U control will actually give U/W a run for its money, with its ability to cast black removal spells AND protect them with countermagic. That's a race that's too close to call, though U/W does have an edge with Obsidian Acolytes.

Thoughts? Disagreements? Hate mail?

C

Chaos Turtle

Is Enlightened Tutor a confirmed 'in' card?

Even if it is, I'd only expect those decktypes to become powerful, but not "dominant."

Opposing Meddling Mages can name 'Pariah.'

Pariah itself can be removed.

"You can't counter everything." ;)

Rebels use Pariah, "too?" I'd say "Rebels will use Pariah!" And Worship!
Maybe some other white decks will, too.

Know what I'm really hoping for? Millstone being replaced by Grindstone.

Even if it isn't, expect mono-white rebels to take a back seat to white-green and white-blue variants.
After all, Sterling Grove would keep Pariah pretty secure, no?

So, I think you have a point, but considering that we haven't seen what power card reprints are available for all the colors, it's much to soon to make a judgement.

D

Duel

No. Tranquility should be used more. It's a good card, I tell you!

Okay, if worship comes back, expect wrath decks to rise. IMHO pariah takes second place to worship.

C

Chaos Turtle

Truer words were never spoken.
(not counting the words I've spoken)

D

Duel

Woohoo! Someone agrees with me.

Okay, I have worships. Anyone want to buy them in the hopes of it being reprinted? I'm , thankfully, doubtful.

B

Bob

If they reprint Worship, I will be able to make an invincible deck. I loved my old Worship deck...

T

theorgg

I've gotta start playing REAALLLY hard with Orgg's Weirding to win a tourney with it. I hope they leave in the tutors, Fountain of youth, and Zur's Weird Thing... and mabe re-print... naaa--they wouldn't...

I

Istanbul

Heh. All they have to do is reprint Fountain of Youth and Zur's Weirding, and I've got a nasty little deck that will seriously rock your (read: everyone's) world....

D

DÛke

...Pariah will be very good in T2. It will slow down a lot of decks.

Istanbul, I know it's not a Fountain of Youth, but would Well of Life work in your deck? How about that Fading artifact that taps for 2 life?

You know, I've hated Worship the day it was printed. Black couldn't do much about it, except for a lucky discard. I mostly hate all enchantments, since they filter Black's power...but...now, with Planeshift and Invasion, I have Recoils, and <drool> Wretched Devotion.

D

Duel

Yeah, well of life could be nasty with zyr's wierding. COmbo it with chimeric idol and they never draw another card again...... OUCH!

I

Istanbul

Duke, black was never actually stopped by Worship. Remember that it stops damage, but DOESN'T stop loss of life. Black has a number of ways to cause white to lose life. I remember someone actually played Forsaken Wastes against me with my old white weenie deck. I died shortly thereafter.

It's worth remembering that once I get Pariah onto Cho-Manno in a U/W deck, I don't need to counter damage sources anymore. Blastoderm? Sure, c'mon over! Shock? Absolutely. Soul Burn? Have a party. All I need to counter is anything that will get rid of Cho-Manno...and even if you're playing Aura Mutation and Disenchant, I bet I get more counters than you get enchantment destruction.

D

DÛke

...Istanbul, but at the time Worship was played (I play T2), the only good spell I could think of, that came out AFTER my many grudges was Soul Feast, from there on, I didn't have a big problem with Worship.

Pariah would be VERY powerful in T2. You know, Cho-Manno is good with Pariah, but there's one other card that Pariah combines too damn good with: Voice of All. It's the angel that gives itself protection from any color as it comes to play, for 2WW - the same casting cost as Cho-Manno. So Pariah has more than one friend after all. :)

I think Pariah control is going to be really powerful. Like Istanbul said, we don't need to counter most creatures (unless the endanger Pariah/Cho-Manno), or any direct damage spells. I have a question though, Urza's Rage, with Kicker, says that the damage can't be prevented, and Cho-Manno prevents all damage that's dealt to it - would the Rage (with Kicker paid) still kill Cho-Manno? If it does, then...that's one more reason why Voice of All should be used as an addition to Cho-Manno.

G

Gizmo

If they reprint the same thing will happen as last time. Red decks will scream blue bloody murder and demand their Anarchy`s back, nobody else will give a damn.

None of the current big decks would care about Pariah - Fires, Rebels, Wrath, Nether-Go, MachineHead, CounterRebels. None of them care in the slightest about Pariah.

D

DÛke

...that sounded a bit too determined for me to accept. How do you know? Cho-Manno/Pariah sounds like a perfect idea...why wouldn't it work, for example, against Fires? You have counter mostly anything that even attempts to destroy Pariah and/or Cho-Manno - what makes the idea so bad exactly?