What makes a better gamer?

D

Darsh

I've been wondering this question for a while now and I still have no answer. I'm sure you all have seen it, two magic players are playing a game, they both started playing magic at the same time and both have similiar card collection, but one always seems to win. Mabye the one player just has better cards? No, you could give each of them the same exact cards and tell them to build a deck, but one will always build the better deck, it never fails. Zadok once described this as the "spark", some people have it, most people don't, but the ones who do are in some way better than the ones that don't. If you go beyond magic it is much easier to see, for example, my friends and I are playing a game of Goldeneye(First person shooter), now we all have about the same level of magic playing/deckbuilding abilities but they just can't seem to win, I can easily run circles around them even when they are on a team, on the other hand a have a friend that has gaming abilities just slightly higher then mine, take Goldeneye for instance, he usually wins every time, he seems just has slightly better aim and dodging than me which means he will win. What makes him better at it than me? We both started playing the game at the same time, but he seemed to get better at it and beat the game faster then I ever could, Why is that? Is it because he has a better reaction time? Is his brain somehow able to process strategys better than mine? Is it in his genes? I don't know, what do you think about it?

C

Cateran Emperor

It's one of those intangible things. It's purely instinct, there's no other way to have or program that kind of skill. His niche in hte natural world translates into Goldenye. He would prbably be good as a hunter in real life. Heck, I'm the same way :cool:

D

Darsh

There are no lame answers, except for H-Mages of course.:) I just think that it's an interesting question and wanted to see what everyone thought about it.

H

Hawaiian mage

Lame? If you think about it enough, it compleatly explains the evolution of the human mind in easy to understand applications. I figured you would be able to pick that up. :)

When I first started playing, the only gmae I ever won was when I actually played my "Mine! Mine! Mine!" from my 500+ card deck and played Entropic Specter. But then I started useing the internet as a resorce and I'm the *best* player at my school

*Best is an opinion. Of course I lose sometimes, and there's also this one kid who I can't beet (no one can. He like has some sort of telekinesis or something, he always get's exactly what he needs. Bu he doesn't play any more.)

Oh well, am I unlame now?

N

nodnarb24

Some people are fast learners and can pick up things really quickly, while others are slow learners and it takes them time. These are all relative to what you are talking about because someone can be a fast learner at one thing and not understand another.

H

Hawaiian mage

Well I may always be lame, but you'll always be... Nodnarb! Ha!

D

Darsh

I'll agree with you that the reading on the internet can make you a MUCH better player/deckbuilder, but it will only make you so much better, the rest you have to learn.