What is your favorite 187 creature?

G

Griffion2000

Mine is Ravenuse Rats.
I know they are not the best, but my heart has a soft spot for them. I hope they are in 7th!

What is yours'?

D

Darsh

Bone Shredder, combine with Haunted Crossroads and you got a terror every turn!:D

Killer Joe

"187"
This is a term I used to in reference about "Visions" and how the cards from that set were identified as unspectacular, but work horse, cards like River Boa, Uktabi Orangutan, Impulse and Man-o-War.
Is the term now used for cards similar to this concept like Bone Shredder and/or Avalanche Rider?
In that case, I have two categories:
Extended: Man-O-War (yeah, it's kinda vanilla(ish), but I like bouncy stuff.)
Type II: 3=Not Sure/Undecided (oops! I'm cross posting again! :))

R

Ristik

The term "187" was first used to reference the Visions creature Nekrataal, which killed a creature when it entered play. The number comes from the police code for murder in some big city, I think LA. 187's meaning has been expanded in the Magic community to mean any creature with an ability that triggers when the creature comes into play. This includes everything from Visions staples Manowar and Nekrataal to echo thingies Raven Familiar and Darwin.

D

Darsh

I always thought that "187" creatures were creatures that did something when they came into play, such as Man-O-War, Bone Shredder, and Ravenous Rats.

D

Deadman

My favourite is near impossible to determine.
It's a near exact split between Avalanche Riders and Bone Shredder.
I love them both so much!
Oh, and I even love that Yavimaya Granger.
(note right now I'm playing 5 colour magic lots, and so use all three in the one deck).
But I think overall it's gotta be the 'Shredder, no wait! I mean the 'Riders, although the 'Shredder can.....AAAAARGH!!!!!
I'm done! :)

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I prefer Cloud of Fairies, because that was the only creature with which I was able to successfully create a 170000/170000 Krakilin (along with another cloud of Fairies, an Aluren, and an Equilibrium). My opponent was playing Fish with no cards in hand and a Tidal Warrior and conceded. :)

I know that really it sucks but back then I hadn't bought much of Saga and had no Priests of Gix, and those are the only two free creatures that can be played for free via Aluren.

Remember, it's not a janky combo if it's four cards, two of them are the same, and you only have one copy of one of the other ones.

R

Ristik

I'm not entirely sure if the "free" creatures count as 187's, because they're considered an ability of their own.

T

Thrash Golem

Definitely Wall of Blossoms, i love combinign it with Stampeding Wildebeest and Dual Nature and having like 4 of them going at once with all my elves and a digger, im drawing like 48 cards a turn.

G

Gizmo

It has to be Wall Of Posies, the Jellyfish, or Darwin.

One of those three, prob the Interflora Wall.

Z

Zadok001

The '187' was used because at the time, there were exactly 187 creatures with a CIPTA. Thus, 187 creatures are any creature with an ability that triggers on coming into play, i.e., Darwin, Man-o-War, Nekrataal, etc...

Personally, I like Man-o-War, and wish it had been reprinted in 6th... The echo 187s are nice, but I don't appreciate them even half as much as their original non-echo twins or comparables. Wall of Blossoms is a close second to Man-o-War. Very little compares to blocking and drawing for only 1G...

Gizmo: I understood all but Interflora Wall. What's THAT?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Zadok: You sure? I think Ristik's explanation is more true...

I would go with ManOWar or Uktabi Orangutan... they made the 3cc creatures good again! (besides Flanking...)

G

Gizmo

Interflora are a HUGE international flower delviery service. If I wanted to send you flowers in NY )or wherever) by 12.00 tonite it would be INterflora who do it.
So there.
Just another of the many names for the Flower-Power Wall.

Z

Zadok001

I'm maybe 80% sure... Certainly not entirely sure, but I remember reading that on Neutral Ground _and_ the Dojo at one point, so I'd be suprised if it was otherwise. I do have a very vague memory of something like what Ristik said, though, so could be either way... A quick search on MtgNews (which was probably innaccurate, but I don't have a better search engine on this machine) turned up 166 cards matching that description pre-Tempest...

Anyone wanna dig deeper?

G

Griffion2000

WHAT! :eek:

No ones favorite 187 creature is Ravenous Rats?!? :mad:
Think of all of those poor, abandoned Ravenous Rats! :(

L

Landkiller

Actually, Gilded Drake is the most fun of the 187 variety guys.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Um, Zadok, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe 187 was derived for CITPA creatures because Nekrataal was the most popular and it killed creatures, and 187 is the police code for murder, so any creature, like Nekrataal, with a CITPA was dubbed 187. Originally, only 4 creatures were known as 187, all from Visions: Man-o-war, Nekrataal, Uktabi Orangutan, and I think they were called Knights of the Mists(or something like that, they really sucked though).

And, that our lesson for today, kids. Until next time, when I will be Cheese Boy, I'm Mr. Wizard.

Ransac, Prince of Cheese