What do YOU have to say against THIS?

A

arhar

Here's the deal.

Aaron Forsythe, who, for those who don't know, a member of US National Team in M:TG, posted the following article on the front page of The Dojo:

http://www.thedojo.com/column2/col.000918afo.shtml

It's called "Stop Being So Casual". The purpose of this article, which I must note is exceptionally well-written, is to prove that tournament play makes more sense to Magic than casual play. In a sense, at least the way I understood it, author, who was a casual player himself for a long time, tries to make YOU stop being casual and start attend tournaments. Now, this article is not a flame. So please do not e-mail the author saying "Dude, you suck, I'll never copy a net deck and always be casual". But nevertheless, I am very interested, what YOU have to say in defense of casual play, especially TomB, Zadok, and the person who's opinion probably interests me the most - Gizmo. The reason is, unfortunately, I myself came to the same conclusion as Mr. Forsythe, and, as some of you know, from a Multiplayer King became a PTQ Scrub.

So what'cha gots to say against dat?

:)

N

Namielus

I read it and I liked what he said (except that casual players are bad). Well he really didn't say that, but he said that you become a better player when you go to tournements. That is slightly true, but in a game (or at least the games I play) you have to have quiet good diplomatic skills to try something with 7 other players in a game.

I think that if you stick to tournements you will become a better killing machine, but I don't want to kill. I want to play a skyshroud cutter deck and win. Oh yea on another note, I'm now gonna be entering tournements about 2x-4x a month.

H

Hawaiian mage

I have everything to say against it. I stopped reading half way through.

The point is never to win, it's to get close and then goof off.

P

Purple_jester

Nevertheless, let me just say that Aaron is a narrow-minded freakoid. Tournaments are not for everybody, and that goes for every game and sport that's ever been made or played. Not everyone can afford tournaments, and not everyone likes playing in them. It's STUPID and IDIOTIC to think that people have to limit themselves to brutal competition and formality just because "it's better for the game."

The game is not the issue here, it's the poeple who play the game. Speak for yourself, Aaron, and let others have their way.