What do we want to do?

B

Baron Sengir

Okay, folks. We've got a pretty solid membership base behind us and a wicked website (Thank you, Ed) so what are we gonna do with it?

The original concept behind the CPA was to have a way for the regular player to voice their opinions in such a way that would be heard by WotC. I would like to get back to those roots.

That being said, what do we want to take a stand on? Anything? I welcome any input in this matter. If you've got a problem with some aspect of Magic, announce it here and if it's a big enough concern, we'll put it to a vote on the voting forum. I think we need a fire lit under us (as I'm sure TomB would agree) and this is the way to do it. Let's hear your voices and make sure WotC does as well!!

I remain
The Baron
Rabble-Rouser

Killer Joe

Though my signature is "No, Magic is NOT dead", I still have to voice my concern for the livelyhood(sp?) of our game. WotC currently has the "Go Guru" program and had the "Ambassador" program last year. Although these are good attempts at trying to keep their product alive ($$$), it really is up to us, the players, to help ourselves to perpetuate this cool game.
This is not a new topic, there has been discussion elsewhere on what each of us has done and/or could do to help others learn. Gary Wise had an article on the Dojo once about how he to the children's ward of a local hospital and showed recovering kids how to pass the time away by playing M:TG. He gathered up a bunch of commons and made decks to GIVE FOR FREE to the kids. This only illistrates one mans attempt, imagine if only one person from each group of players did this? Imagine if everyone who is currently playing shows only two people and they, in turn, show two people and so on, and so on.....
Really, it IS just a game and not everyone is going to like it for whatever reason (art on the cards, no tolerance for games in general, can predict the potential to suck up time & money......) but the more people you show it to the more chances you have of creating the next David Price, Mike Long or YOU. Also, eliminating people before you even show them this game of ours is not the best idea. Ya never know. Im not asking anyone to show strangers but show the people you have contact with casually at school or at work or family members or adults in general that you know (I'm an adult -mid 30's). Don't eliminate folks because of any other reason than you don't know them. But then guess what? Use your people skills and get to know them.
This whole thing does sound like interactive networking, but that's what it really is. If you are the type that is complaing that M:TG is dying then do something, anything, just don't sit there with your "You'll die on turn two Triple deck of death" deck, get a good solid creature based deck and go out and show some folks a fun and exciting time with this cooler than cool game called life,..........ummmm,.... I mean Magic.

I am and always will be, Yellowjacket.

[Edited by Yellowjacket (01-24-2000 at 08:48 AM).]

[Edited by Yellowjacket (01-24-2000 at 08:49 AM).]

T

theorgg

:D rotflmfao!

I take it you read my poem?
:Dlol

well, I do teach the game.

and I do think that we should start advertising. the membership base is only a hundred and a half. over half of those arn't posting. I am waiting for a responce from the ign spokesperson, mellissa. if we could advertise on mtgnews and the dojo, I think that membership would increse. but first we need an animated banner...
somthing like this...

show "Casual player?"
wait five seconds
show "like forums?"
wait a few seconds
show original banner for ten seconds, repete.

this would be the best for us, I beleve, as the advertisements on ign have animated banners...

or mabe not. mabe a simple one would work...

I'm ranting. so sue me.

sic semper,

Ferret

Staff member
I've like to think that our focus is broadening (does that make sense?) and we're not just here to effect change in the game, but also to remind them that Magic isn't just about playing in PTQ's or building/modifying DojoDecks. It's about having as much fun as possible.

It would only make sense that our board would become bigger than the other sites because there are more casual players than Pros...

-ferret

"...growing like a fungus..."

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I think we should set the voting booth back up. Let's set some questions up to guage the feelings of the group on things like 7th ed., for example. Maybe some specifics, like the Gold card question currently in the Voting forum, and perhaps some of the rules we might like to see changed too. I think that would be the best way to find an action item we'd all like to get behind.

TomB
CPA Member

A

arhar

I think we should just focus on making our opinions heard by WOTC.. why? Because right now, as I feel, WOTC are ignoring us! The current cards are made for tournament players. When was the last time you looked at the latest set and you thought "wow, this card was MADE for multiplayer". For me it was Saga - Congregate, Shivan Gorge, etc, and Legacy - Radiant and Multani. So if we make our voices heard.. WOTC will realize that a whole bunch of people that buy their product are not the tournament freaks that steal decks off the Dojo all the time and think about every turn for ten minutes, because for them Magic is not a game, but work. And then.. maybe something good will happen. WOTC are already making some steps toward us - for example, that Battle Royale set.. But my dream is.. to make casual tournaments. Yeah, laugh as much as you want, but I think it's a great idea. Imagine a tournament.. consisting of many multiplayer games, 5-ppl games, for example.. And only the winner advances. And my dream is, that anyone, with any deck, could come to the tournament and win.. And everyone would have fun. How many times have you seen a kid with a totally crazy deck with Craw Wurms win a multiplayer game? I saw it myself a lot. In fact, I PLAY with Craw Wurms =))) Well, i'm kinda ranting here. My point is, we should make WOTC listen to us and make them turn their product toward us. Thanks for reading =)

D

Dune Echo

Actually, I feel a lot of the cards in Masques ARE multiplayer based. Kyren Negotiations is just wicked just before it's your turn. Also, did you forget Sizzle? Flame Rift and Rupture in Nemesis? Noble Purpose, Noble Stand? Massacre, Mind Swords, Stronghold Discipline? There's some multiplayer cards. You just have to think of them in multiplayer terms. Global effects are wonderful things.

A

arhar

Yeah, you're right. Masques is an awesome set and offers many multiplayer cards. Besides the ones you mentioned, the blue creature that has the p/t equal to the number of permanents of the color the opponent has in play.. Conspiracy.. Noble Stand.. those are some great multiplayer cards! Overall, Masques is much better set than Urza's. Hopefully WOTC will keep on!

Ferret

Staff member
Well, a lot of those "multiplayer" cards from Masques (and Nemesis) seem a bit silly - such as anything that ends in 'monger or that new Iff-Biff Ifreet. I like my cards to affect other players, but I like to be the one that's in control of them...

-ferret

"...okay, I put the hurricane card in play - whoever has the most life wins!"