What 7th Edition Means

I

Istanbul

Ankh-Tide is dead. No more Ankh.
The best sideboard card against Rebels, Dread of Night, is gone.
X-Geddon decks are gone. No more Geddon.
Fires loses a strong two-drop in River Boa.
My Fish Platter deck dies, due to the lack of Zur's Weirding. :/
Machinehead loses Hammer of Bogardan, which is a kick to the nuts.
Cursed Totem is no longer a viable sideboard card.
Rebels lose Crusade, but get Glorious Anthem, arguably an upgrade.
Perish simply isn't available anymore; black is in *pain*.
The loss of Vampiric Tutor further neuters black.

Agree? Disagree? Think I'm insane?

A

arhar

Finally, the only deck that has a chance of beating me, is gone - Blast'o'Geddon!

And yes, I'm a sellout Fires player, sue me :D

Z

Zadok001

Black got fixed, in the vetrinary sense of the word. Black had weak fatties in 6th, but we made do with the Evil Eye... And now that's gone.

Rebels get some AMAZING stuff in 7th, Worship, for example, as well as the Anthem and perhaps Serra in the more aggro versions. Mahamojti gives blue players something to rejoice about, a 5/6 flier for only 4UU. It will certainly see enormous amounts of play. It should also be noted that Jokelhaups is gone, leaving that deck injured in the sand before it really hit the sky. And trying to Vampiric for Obliterates just isn't the same... Especially when Vampiric is gone, too!

The archetypes are only solidified by this set.

G

Goku

I still can't believe what they did to black.. it was one of my favorite colors.. played it all the time...

R.I.P. Dark Ritual

M

Mr_Pestilence

I have to agree, especially about Black. 7th improved every color, except Black. Some examples:

White: picked up Worship, Glorious Anthem, and some 4/4 non-tapping flyer whose name escapes me at the moment, and STILL no Anarchy.

Green: picked up Verdant Force and Thorn Elemental, and got Perish, the only card to keep Green in check, axed.

Red: picked up Shivan Dragon (the new art is good, but not as good as the original), but lost the Hammer. Oh well, nobody played Red before, so I guess WotC is OK with that.

Blue: picked up Mahamoti Djinn, Thieving Magpie, Opposition, and had no major losses.

Black: picked up Diabolic Edict and.....um, gimme a minute...uh, well I guess that's it. Lost Perish, Vampiric Tutor, Dark Ritual, and for reasons that remain unclear to me, didn't get Sengir Vampire, when every other color got it's classic fattie rotated back in. WTF???

G

Gizmo

I think White has changed in interesting ways. The Anthem is almost certainly an upgrade over Crusade, interestingly it makes the Bears strategy stronger as the Anthems are good in matches against other Rebel deck. Addition of Worship is almost certain to also benefit Bears more than CounterRebels. On the other hand the loss of Geddon takes the main sideboard strategy away from Bears, but I think creative sideboarding will help. Bears potentially also gains from Hibernation. Retaining Longbow Archer is key. Have to see what it is that is keeping Bears from Tier-One at the moment.

Gerrards Wisdom is a very strong white addition that many people haven`t mentioned - with FOF to fill your hand at their EOT a Wisdom for somewhere around 20 life is quite conceivable. Wisdom strengthens a slower Wrath-based strategy by giving the deck what it was missing most - time to survive until it can get 6 mana and Wrath/Counter on the same turn. Might also be a factor that many Fires cards are Fading and so lose potency rapidly and so Fires is likely to struggle to bring down a Wrath deck that begins the game on something like 60 life thanks to Absorbs and Wisdoms.

Blue gets some nice tricks, but I`m afraid that they might not quite add up to the loss of Power Sink, which is a truly awesome bodyblow to many blue or blue-splash strategies. Force Spike WAS once the second best counterspell after Counterspell, but I don`t think it`s as good at the moment, although I might be wrong (god that sounds awful. I really don`t know about Force Spike - it COULD be bad, or it COULD become the reason blue strategies are amazing - it certainly won`t be average it`s either bad or superb).
I think Thieving Magpie decks are likely to be marginal - the idea of a mono-blue deck is still unlikely (but not impossible, a mono-blue deck came 3rd in a Spanish regional last week) adn so I see Magpie in direct competition with Lin Sivvi in UW decks and Nether Spirit in UB decks. Tough opposition.
Speaking of Opposition, this card is good. I`ve not looked at the potential for this card properly yet, but I always found that Opposition decks played slightly worse than you expected them to.

Black - stop moaning. Duress is godly, Persecute is strong even in multicolored T2 and Unholy Strength is a valuable add (probably better than Sinister Strength). But black is bad right now, and this does nothing to help it - you`d often play Addle over Duress we have found in testing, Persecute is not maindeckable, and Suicide is still poor. Black was bad before 7th, and is still just as bad after 7th. Loses Perish, keeps Tsabo`s Decree and Nether Sprit (the real reasons to play Black). Ignore Megrim - Urza`s Guilt is just like Memory Jar except that it costs more to cast, and only does half as much damage - Megrim/Guilt decks are just the next generation of Ankh/Tide deck (ie the best bad combo deck).

Red - Hammer goes :(. I finally sold my 4 Hammers, which I have owned since a week after the Mirage pre-release. :( Keeps Pillage (unexpected), Pyroclasm returns (v strong), Wildifre is a very good and I`m happy to see it replace Haups. Keeps Boil - important. Otherwise very little changes for red. I think the gain of Pyroclasm possibly outweighs the loss of Hammer, at least while Urza`s Rage is available.

Green - the bad stuff. Gets good monsters, surprise. Big hitters are Elven Lyrist, Reclaim, and the retention of Creeping Mold. Might Of Oaks is ok, but I think that the dual-coloured nature of green decks devalues that sort of spell and they can take better impact spells from other colours. Yavimaya Enchantress eh? hmm...

Artifacts. Ensnaring Bridge is unkind to Fires. VERY unkind. Static Orb is a poorly understood card, we might see it become much more heavily designed for - we proved during TSE that it was possible to make effective use of the card.

G

Goku

Green is my favorite color...
but I still must admit, even with these cards reprinted in 7th.. (mentioned above), it's still not that powerful.

I would like green to be more powerful, somehow, but not at the expense of black, my 2nd favorite color.

I just really think that the balances are off...

B

BurlyBrute

What 7th really means is that they're on the pipe up at WOTC. Not only is this crap white-bordered (after lying and saying all future editions would be black), but I bet players will be thrilled to find the following uncommons, taking up precious rare slots:

Wall of Wonder
Fallen Angel
Hurricane
Venduran Enchantress
Serra Angel

The Serra I can understand, but freaking Wall of Wonder?

I'd have only bought packs if they'd been black-bordered anyway, but this sucks (also several commons have been upgraded to uncommon).

They should change the name from Hasbro, to Has-been.

I

Istanbul

Verduran Enchantress was always rare.
Serra Angel always should have been.
Fallen Angel fits into a rare slot.

In fact, the only two I agree with you on are Wall of Wonder (I have a LG one!) and Hurricane.

B

BurlyBrute

I believe it was in the Duelist, about a year ago, maybe 16-18 months. Unless Topdeck was out at that time, I'll try to find the article.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I have all of the issues so once you point me in the right direction, I can look it up and see what it says too.