We're being watched...

D

Dune Echo

Hey guys, not to alarm anyone, but I did get this email back from Elaine of the DCI:

"Thanks for the support, Kirsin. And remember this the next time we do
something you don't agree with :)
>
>> (Please feel free to drop in to our little site and chat with us. Yeah,
>> we rant and rave like everyone, but we'd love to hear from a WotC
>> associate.)

I'm there (we're everywhere, muah-ha-ha!), but for obvious reasons I
prefer to be incognito...."

Now before anyone starts flaming her (besides, you don't have her address), I think Wizards may be trying to see what we're saying and may be taking it into account. Remember when this site was started? Right around Urza's Saga, right? So Mercadian Masques was in preproduction. I think that maybe the inclusion of so many multiplayer cards might have been a result of people like us. Keep that in mind that they probably do know that we exist. We just have to give them good reasons to notice us!

(If R&D's reading this, I HAVE A HUGE LIST OF GREAT IDEAS! EMAIL ME!)

Elaine and other members of WotC: Please let us know what you think if you are reading this. We'd actually like some input and such.

Z

Zadok001

(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

OMG! Er... Clarification requested: You sent her an e-mail, and this was her reponse, correct? Hmmm...

(Ed, this is where you jump in and start calling me Mulder again! ;) )

T

theorgg

<font size="2" color="#FF6000">* theorgg eyes gloss over, an unearthly voice remenecent of a bubble gum singer emenates from oral cavity:</font>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>AND AND AND... AND ONE DAY--- A-AAT BAND CAMP...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AAAAAAAACHOOOOO!!!
<font size="2" color="#FF6000">* theorgg snezes and walks off</font>

F

FoundationOfRancor

Hey, maybe there ask us all to playtes there cards. (We can hope)

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Cool. And Dune, you may very well be right about Masques. I happen to think this is why the CPA was created - to alert WotC and the DCI to our thoughts and feelings concerning this great game. As casual players we represent the largest quantity of their target demographic. They really should be interested in what we have to say.

Welcome in, Elaine. It's good to have you aboard. :D

TomB
CPA Member

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
As ChasDen once said, there's a lot of lurkers here... and perhaps one of Elaine's jobs is to check in with Magic websites now and then.

D

Dune Echo

Yeah, Zadok. That is her exact reply! So maybe we need to start addressing even more issues that deal with casual play. The "Where are all the Minotaurs?" thread is an excellent example of what WotC is probably looking for input on. Of course, this isn't the only thing. The question is, is Elaine registered... or just lurking? [Ed, don't go snooping! Respect her privacy! :D] [Snoop, Ed! Snoop! J/K --Zadok001]

Personally, I wish Wizards would talk directly to us with questions (HINT HINT HINT!). It would make things more interesting to know that they're being proactive in such a manner. Anyone remember when Wizards sent out the questionaire to the Dojo about future creature types? Did anyone ever see the results? I wish I had. That's the stuff that let's Wizards tell us they're listening more. (I'd still like to wring the necks of all the people that LIKED the new look to the cards! According to a report on MTG News, they're gonna be switching. BOO!)

But yeah, I think we need to try to address as many issues as possible when it comes to casual play. I think errata and bannings, while fun to argue, should start taking a back seat to the stuff we're more interested in: quality/crap commons/rares, multiplayer cards, the strength of cards for/in multiplayer, and card artwork quality. Write articles people! Submit threads! Let's let WotC know more than we were telling them.

ChasDen: They're reading you too. Do you have anything to say as a seller? (Same for you Wizard2000, but don't go overboard please. I have a pretty good idea what you think about MM and Nemesis.)

[Edited by Zadok001 (03-23-2000 at 12:20 PM).]

Killer Joe

Awwwwww, nuts! Don't everybody start acting all "up-ity", like starting to post subject matter for Wiz Co's eye's only. Just go about your business as usual and be yourselves.

[Yellowjacket pulls out extremely wrinkled paper from ugly smelly wallet]

ahem. [whispering] hey elaine, (pssst), I've got this great idea about how your prestegious company can bring about a conspiricy color, purple, contact me thru the usual channels................

M

Mordecai

Where are all the minotaurs? is a good question, but foremost on my mind is the question...

WHERE ARE ALL THE DWARVES?? There hasn't been a dwarf printed since Weatherlight. Even the classic Dwarven Warriors didn't get reprinted in 6th Ed.! It had been in every base set since Alpha, but wasn't CLASSIC enough for 6th Ed.????

The cool thing about dwarves is their synergy. Nearly every dwarf ever printed works well with other dwarves. I don't know about the Trader, but that's from Homelands...

Look at these examples:

Dwarven Warriors/Nomad: makes creatures unblockable
Dwarven Vigilantes: becomes Shock if not blocked

Dwarven Berserker: gets +3/+0 and trample if blocked
Dwarven Thaumaturgist: switch creatures power and toughness ("damage on the stack, my 3/1 trampler becomes 1/3 and doesn't die to your 1/1! MWAHAHAHAHA!")

WE NEED DWARVES!!

C

Chaos Turtle

Me too, but I really don't care whether they change it or not...

F

FoundationOfRancor

I like the new card design, but I think it resembles pokemon to much.

Z

Zadok001

And I _would_ like it, were it not for a few small issues... First and foremost, this is MAGIC. It's set in the same time frame as D&D, Dragonlance, etc ad naseum. The new card design is very reminescent of Battletech (in fact, so much so that I wonder if they just wanted to save on printing machines and print Magic on the old Battletech machines), which is far displaced from said timeframe. The futuristic really doesn't fit the 'style' Magic has had for a long time. :)

I didn't mean to offend anyone. But I do believe that I represent a majority of people when I say 'Thank God!' No offense intended, really. Just my personal little rant.

"Remember: Tracers work both ways."

W

Waubers

So we have a sleeper agent among us?!

Thats cool! If WotC wants to take notice of us great isn't that kind of the whole premis of the CPA? Unfortunatly I don't think we had much impact on MM. 1st MM went into print back in June of 99. How do I know this? At Gen conthis year I overheard a WotC employee discussing the time frame for the next sets. They said that playtesting usually finishes up about 11 months prior to release. The art is finalized and they update the cards for any rule changes. They do not create any cards. My local Magic dealer informed me that WotC starts printing its next set imediatly after the release of a set e.g. MM went into print once Destiny was released. so our influence really won't be felt until say the Thran Cycle. Ok so right now they're printing the next set to be released.

Waubers

Constanly in search of Useless knowledge

Z

Zadok001

Uh... Dune? Here's a direct quote from the MtgNews announcement (emphasis mine):

"Adventure games leader Wizards of the Coast Inc. announced today that the proposed card face change to the Magic: The Gathering® trading card will *not* be pursued at this time."

Rejoice! I do believe this is the first time Wizards has noted the opinions of the majority of the public were _completely_ opposed to the new cardface. And they acted accordingly. Bravo, Wizards!

*Start Rant*

Since Destiny, to my knowledge, Wizards has made exactly _one_ mistake I can think of. That's got to be a new record. Both Masques and Nemesis (while the aren't power sets, and therefore aren't making the environment too valuble for single card-sellers) are excellent additions to the environment, full of pretty good, but not broken cards. 'Bout damn time.

And now WotC has listened to the people on this latest cardface thing, Joy To The World! Perhaps they don't want this game dead, they are improving!

Now, they did make that _huge_ error in judgement in forcing online retailers into a corner, price-wise. But the people affected are apparently trying to look for a solution now (I sure as hell hope they find it, online retailers are the _the_ place to buy boxes. Singles, perhaps not.), and with luck, WotC will renege on this idea too.

Praise to WotC! The Era of The Broken Card is over(I hope)!

*End Rant*

D

Dune Echo

Yeah, Zadok, I didn't see that announcement until AFTER I posted this. I had seen something else saying that the results had been favorable... I know I wasn't imagining things... Anyway, I'm glad they polled us because that would've been horrible as the new look!

Yellowjacket: I'm not saying that everyone has to get uppity :). I'm just saying to keep it in mind that someone from the DCI said to me that they do indeed look at what we're saying. Now for some of our more vocal members who aren't happy right now, I'm not saying that anyone should post their negative feelings on the BB and expect them to read them. Instead, if you want to put up a message for the DCI or Wizards or R&D, write an article. We'll make sure that there is a notification the front page for anyone who writes, period. Also, I think that if someone wants to argue, they really need to present their arguement in a clear manner and back it up.

D

Dune Echo

Hey did you guys see that we're the spotlight site for Meridian Magic this week?