well...

R

RabidKimba

Has anyone thought about a Necrologica deck? I'm thinking of building one, but the mana costs for Necrologica + Seismic assault are hard to get around. Any thoughts?

Edit: The version of Necrologica I'm talking about is Necrologica + Seismic Assault, splashing blue for Delusions of Mediocraty and Trade Routes. I'll post a decklist when I get home.

M

Mikeymike

It would be worth splashing in white also for many many reasons.

Access to strong life gain like Gerrard's Wisdom and Congregate (for those big MP games)
Planar Birth: all basic lands in all graveyards come in play tapped.
Land Tax
E Tutor
Academy Rector

Sunder works wonders in here too, if you've got the Seismic Assault in play (and land tax)that will pretty much seal up the game if you get one off, even in multiplayer. Show and Tell isn't a bad idea either if you do go the 4 color route.

Artifacts to consider:
Zuran Orb (especially if you get a Planar birth)
Scroll Rack (very nice if you've got a lot of lands in hand but no seismic assault)
Memory Jar (this thing is good in just about any deck)

G

Gizmo

There are a great number of players trying to make the Seismic/Necro deck work. The more succesful are using Sandstone Needle and Poeat Bog to get around the RRR and BB3 in the casting costs.

Many decks are also using Rhystic Tutor and Ensnaring Bridge - I think the general experience is that the deck is weak vs Fires however.

Personally I like the combo, but don`t really see very obviously how it will stop Fires. I`d also be very eager to make sure I had plenty of damage sources in the deck - if you find yourself trying to pull a full 10 land you will probably fail.

Interesting other cards - Storm Cauldron (fires don`t like this, I would guess), splashable Trade Routes and stuff like that from blue.

M

Mikeymike

This thing is type 2? Sorry Kimba didn't realize it, my comments are in regard to Type 1/Multiplayer.

That Bog witch could come in handy although I hate recommending a 1/1 for 1B.

I can see this thing going 5 color also for the color fixing and access to Gerrard's Wisdom, which would still be strong, and wrath of god.

Groundskeeper maybe to get discarded lands back?
Gush to pull islands back?

S

superguy

Someone on mtgnews invented this a while back. It obviously needs lots of work though:

COMBO:
4 Necrologia
4 Seismic Assault
4 Tolarian Winds
OTHER STUFF:
4 Duress
4 Dark Ritual
4 Shock
4 Glacial Wall
MANA-PRODUCERS:
4 Star Compass
4 Charcoal Diamond
4 Sulfurous Springs
4 Underground River
5 Island
5 Swamp
6 Mountain

M

Mikeymike

Teferi's Puzzle box would work very well with Necrologia. Running the Puzzle Box would also make it a good idea to run Wash Out. Bounce their permanents and they have to get rid of them during their next draw phase.

My biggest question, how do you get around the discard step with Necrologia? Is it possible?

R

RabidKimba

Here's the decklist:
//NAME: Necrologica
3 Delusions of Mediocrity
4 Ensnaring Bridge
2 Yawgmoth's Agenda
4 Soul Feast
3 Unmask
3 Dark Ritual
4 Duress
4 Seismic Assault
4 Necrologia
3 Rishadan Port
2 Trade Routes
4 Underground River
2 Crosis's Catacombs
5 Mountain
9 Swamp
4 Sulfurous Springs

EDIT: Vs Fires, Turn 1 bridge, Turn 2 Duress/Unmask is awesome. Usually, vs fires/rebels, bridge is great.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I'm in the process of building a casual Seismic deck, myself. I still need some ideas, but I do know that this will be in it:

3-4 Seismic Assault
4 Elfame Sanctuary
4 Jayemdae Tome
4 Pursuit of Knowledge

If you have all for Elhame Sanctuary's in play, you can search for 4 land during your draw step.

Ransac, cpa trash man

G

Griffith_se

- Spells 8 -
4 Seismic Assault
4 Necrologia

- Land 52 -
4 Peat Bog
4 Sandstone Needle
22 Swamps
22 Mountain

L

Lotus Mox

I would play Heart of Ramos as an artifact source of mana, consider following scenario:

1st turn Swamp, Ritual, Heart.
2nd turn Mountain, tap/sac Heart, Seismic Assault, 2xRitual, Necrologia, laugh maniacally.

Not that this would ever happen. :)

Decklist:

4 Duress
4 Unmask
4 Dark Ritual
4 Necrologia
4 Seismic Assault
4 Heart of Ramos
2 Desperate Research
4 Shock

4 Peat Bog
4 Sandstone Needle
22 Basic Lands

G

Griffith_se

Giving it a try.
Another idea:
Have you thought about using "Trade Routes" with "Seismic Assault"? When Apocalypse comes out you'll have a red/blue pain land.

Black/Red
- Combo 8 -
4 Seismic Assault
4 Necrologia

- Some control stuff 22 -
4 Terminate
4 Shock
3 Urzas Rage
4 Tangle Wire
3 Desperate Research
4 Duress

- Mana Sources 31 -
4 Dark Ritual
4 Peat Bog
4 Sandstone Needle
4 Urborg Volcano
8 Mountain
7 Swamp

G

Griffith_se

Or how about a non-Assault, Soul Feast mono black.

I don't know, just throwing out ideas.

-[Creatures 14]-
2 Pit raptor
2 Spiteful bully
4 Abbysal specter
3 Spineless thug
3 Foul imp

-[Controlish stuff 8]-
4 Duress
4 Unmask

-[Combo 10]-
4 Soul feast