Weird Deck... Could it work?

K

K9Archmage

ok... I am new to the world of magic. Is a burn-counter deck any good? I made one, and it has a record of 10 wins and 3 losses. Any ideas for cards that i should put in to make a really good burn-counter deck?

Hoipa

D

Duel

Hammer of Bogardan. Counter-hammer is an established decktype.

A

arhar

Counter Burn was pretty big in 97-98. As Duel pointed out, Hammer is big in that kind of decks, and so was Shard Phoenix, with the rest of the deck basically being blue card advantage and counters :)

D

Duel

Perhaps a less direct method: Mini-burn for stall/earthquake? Maybe a tectonic break?

All in all, though, He's right. the best response to a derm costs UU and says "Counter target...."

C

Chaos Turtle

Or, if you're playing blue/red... you could Rupture your Skizzik...

T

Teferi

definitly try counter phoenix, it's probaly one of my favorite deck types, and it's good

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Another answer to Blastoderm that is pretty good is Wash Out (good against non-Blastoderm as well - not to say Counterspell isn't)

P

Purple_jester

Is this a T2 thread? Ah, never mind. Type Casual then.

There are lots of solutions to Blastoderm. Glacial Wall is the stupidest solution, but it's there. Anything that says "Counter target spell." Is an excellent solution, especially if it's Desertion. Wash Out is great.

It is also essential to Shock, Lightning Bolt, Incinerate or Pyroclasm all creature mana producers that the green mage produces. That way, you have counter power by the time the poor fool gets up to 4 mana.

There's also the Wand of Denial/Bazaar of Wonders approach, but that takes time.

Cheese, counters and a liberal amount of Phoenixes are always good. f you want to go pound-for-pound, there's always Balduvian Hordes. The discard isn't much of a factor if you can draw tons more cards than your opponent. ;)

D

Duel

The problem with Wash Out is two fold

One is the "sorcery" part, meaning it must be cast during your turn instead of after he declares his attack.

Two is the "Replay the blastoderm with full counters" part. Wash Out is only good with backup from a counterspell.

D

Dead

Bribery is kinda good too, especially if they've already played a derm so you effectively kill them both, rather than just countering one.

Other good cards for counter-burn? I'd go with Squee for multiple forbids, which is a serious advantage in multiplayer.

If you're going for lots of recursive stuff- shard phoenix, squee, hammer, then maybe windfall would be fun as well.

Have a poke around in the dojo archives from about 1998, there should be something there...

D

Duel

Mindripper also recently had an extended counter-phoenix deck.

But if you want T2, then my suggestion would looks something like this:

3 Hammer of bogardan
4 Urza's Rage
4 Counterspell
4 Thwart
3 Wash out
4 Power sink
3 Soothsaying
4 Accumulated knowledge
3 Air Elemental
3 Earthquake

14 islands
12 mountains

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Trust me, he doesn't.

I'm not very good at making non-rogue stuff though...

T

TaLoN

an interesting card for t2 counter-burn is nether spirit. my friend made a counter-burn deck featuring nether spirit as its main way to win. the spirit blocks blastoderms. its a card to think about