Warhammer?

R

Rando

Does anyone else here play Warhammer FB or Warhammer 40K?

My armies are:
Wood Elves
Chaos (mixed)
Bretonia
Lizardmen
Roman (for Ancient Battles)

...and for 40K
I have:
Space Marines
Sisters of Battle

Anyone else?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Warhammer FB if I had an opponent...

I have a Dwarf army, mostly unpainted however.

A WOTC store opened near me recently and I went in there for the first time and apparently Warhammer FB has gone through another rules revision! What's up with that? I just (within the last year) ordered from ebay the previous rules version and Magic stuff. Grr... :)

Seriously, is there anything majorly different with the new rules that I should worry about? (Not that I'm playing anyway...)

I also have 93-94 Bloodbowl rules (and team, Dwarf of course :)) and the Naval battle rules (can't remember what they're called).

R

Rando

The naval battle rules are Man-O'-War, and has been out of print for a while. I was never able to get my hands on it, though would like too.

As for the rule changes, I'm still using the rules from 2 or 3 revisions ago. I never bothered to change because I never play in real Tournaments, just with my brothers and some friends. But from seeing new suplements with the new rules, I don't think that there are any MAJOR changes that would require you to re-learn the game.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, Man O War! That's what I have!

And the supplement to that (using aerial units).

I hope there's not any major rules changes. I think one good thing is that they included Magic with the basic set this time, instead of keeping it in another expansion.

What do you think of WarMaster (the mini-massive battle stuff) and Kordheim? The city-fighting stuff?

R

Rando

I would like to get into both Warmaster and Mordenhiem.

But, I've already invested so much money on the armies that I have, along with Magic Cards and D&D books, that I should cut back on my hobbies.

Also, I'm sure that my wife would like it if our house wasn't infested by tiny little soldiers all the time. Thousands of them! She playes Magic and D&D, but never got into wargames.

...but i'll most likely get a warmaster army, but don't tell my wife. naughty naughty naughty!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
At least it's pretty much a "one-time" investment, in that once you reach a certain point value, that's all you have to buy.

I forgot, I also have an Epic Squat army (still in the boxes though). It was like WarMaster for 40K.

R

Rando

Yeah, Epic, I forgot about that too. I was going to buy some of that stuff, but it went OOP.

Oh well, there's still all my other little army men to keep me company.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
My friend has a High Elf army so we got the Warhammer campaign Grudge of Drong. Have you played any of the campaign settings like that?

R

Rando

I've never been big on pre-made campains/scenarios. Same goes with D&D.

But, even if I did want to play an all out campaign, I'd be out of luck. As it is I only get to play a game of Warhammer once a month or so.

It's not so bad though, since I think collecting the armies and painting them and making terain/sceenery is just as much fun.

Right now I'm in the middle of making a Chaos fortress, a Lizardman temple and a Wood Elf tree fort to use with the Warhammer Seige rules. They look like a lot of fun. I can't wait to storm the ramparts with my Elven Wardancers and have my Treemen bash down the gate!

Oh, the excitement of a plan that may never come to fruition.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, my friend started collecting his army LAST YEAR and we still haven't played together. And I don't think we're going to in the near future because he just had a baby.

I just think the pre-made campaign is interesting because it puts restrictions on your armies and I'm non-imaginative as it is :).

Heh, I love the playing and dislike the actual painting and making of models.

R

Rando

That's why most wargaming groups have one painter/modeler. In my group, that would be me. By the way, there is lot's of ready-made game terain available these days. Fairly cheep too. Not like it used to be.

Which makes me wonder, why can't we post pictures? I'd love to show off some of my painted mini's and terain I've made. I have to admit I'm a much better miniture painter and such then Magic player. Have to highlight my stregnths, you know.

Did some one post naughty pic.'s at some point, so they took it away? Or was it never an option?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I always thought it would be neat to MAKE my own, I just never have the motivation. It's kinda like sorting my Magic cards again after I take bunches of cards out for possible deck ideas :D

I think there was never the option of posting pictures, a preemptive strike against possible abuse. There's this thing called ecircles where people from the CPA have been posting pics of themselves... I think you have to ask dw or Jaws to get in (something like that). Or you can go to http://www.ecircles.com, create an account, and just try to get into the CPA circle on your own <shrug>

R

Rando

Making wargame terain is EASY...a little styrofoam, some popsicle sticks and some glue and *POOF*...a castle.

Hills are even easier.

But don't bother trying to make your own trees. In the long run, it's much better just to go to a hobby shop and buy some. All the one's I've tried to make from scratch end up looking like they have Dutch Elm diesese.

I would be happy to offer 10 years of war-game modling advice to anyone that might want it!

...or, at the very least, give some good links to sites that offer modeling tips for wargames, in case a second opinion is called for.

I'm now off to check out this "e-circles" thing.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but I want to make the COOL stuff that is always shown in White Dwarf...

:rolleyes:

Yeah, your way is probably best. Heck, I was using the cardboard models that come in the game and books for hills. LAME-O....

R

Rando

Go here:
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~colinw01/

It's called billy's shed, and it has some nice cut-out buildings. All you have to do is print them off on card-stock, or glue the paper to cardboard, then fold and glue! If you take enough time with them, and do a few embelishments, they will turn out very nice.

As for hills:

Cut out two oval of circular sections of styrofoam. Be sure that the smaller piece will sit on top of the larger with enough room left for the minitures to stand on the bottem row. Glue them together (glue-gun hot glue works best.)

Next, cut or crunch the edges where you cut into a slight slope so your hill does not look "boxey."

Paint green.

While paint is still wet, sprinkle on some grass-flocking or green saw-dust. Allow to dry, then shake off the excess.

BAM! A nice little hill.

But! I have seen lot's of people use books, and then throw over a section of green felt. Add some trees and stuff, and it does not look bad.

Almost forgot, the buildings at Billy's Shed are free for download. Also has some links for other free cut-out buildings, and pay-sites.

[Edited by Rando on 11-22-00 at 01:43 PM]

C

Cateran Emperor

Ah Warhammer, the game that has swallowed up so much of my time...yet it is so good...

I have an Orc army (go Fanatics!) that I've been building for years now, and is just massive by this point. It's good that I've got a nice selection of troops before a battle, but I'm considering looking into 40K.

(The major difference is massively improved magic and seige rules. I'd recommend at least getting the new rulebook if nothing else)

R

Rando

Are the siege rules included in the new rule book also? If so, and if magic's in there too, I guess I'll have to go and buy it.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking of picking up one anyway. Maybe ebay's selling them... :)

Apparently there's new army lists too... boo. And the Dwarfs aren't out yet...

C

Cateran Emperor

Nope, Dwarfs aren't out yet. And yes, both the new Seige and Magic rules (both of which have been greatly clarified) are in the book.