Warhammer Quest: The Sylvan Epic

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Reminder to myself to get to this tonight. If I don't hear from Rokapoke, I'll assume that Tomas is doing the same thing as last turn...

R

rokapoke

Tomas will actually cast Freeze!, targeting the incoming goblins as the first priority.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
-Three snotlings ambush Ty, battering him for 5 Wounds.
-Five snotlings ambush Carrow, battering him for 2 Wounds.
-Tomas kills all five goblins with his Freeze! spell.
-Jekaena casts Finger of Life on Ty, prodding him back to 10 Wounds.
-Kelgar fails to bless anything.
-Carrow's deathblow cuts through four snotlings.
-Ty rips through the remaining four snotlings with his sword.
-Throg smashes the last hobgoblin as it thaws out.
-Awards some gold.

Next turn...

-The Power Phase is 5.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
We check the bodies for anything interesting while the healing and retrieving is going on, then re-assume marching order and continue on, ready for anything...:)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Tomas succeeds in healing the wounded (gold awarded).

Aside from gold, searching the goblins also turns up the sword that weakened Throg earlier (the effect has vanished now that combat has ended, and Throg's Weapon Skill returns to normal) and a strange old dwarven rune.

Dark Sword: Each time this sword successfully wounds a target, it reduces the victim's Weapon Skill by 1. At 0 Weapon Skill, the target can no longer make melee attacks. Worth 400 gold.

Master Rune of Gomril: Permanently bonds to armor, granting +2 Toughness. Worth 300 gold.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Anyone can use runes, but the resulting armor would count as magic. Off the top of my head, this would only matter to Throg (the only magic armors he's supposed to use are Chaos Artifacts) or in the case of armor that already couldn't be worn by a character (Kelgar can only use his starting armor, Ty can only use specialized Pit Fighter armor, Revaethan can't wear armor, Carrow cannot wear heavy armor, Tomas has some severe armor restrictions but I forget what they are and I'd have to look it up...)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So.... it might help Carrow to be a little tougher to offset his poor/not heavy armor? I'm just trying to see who can benefit from it the most; I didn't know if because it was a dwarf rune, that meant only I could use it

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Can Ty use it? Because of his armor restrictions adding Toughness wouldn't be a bad idea...:)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
So.... it might help Carrow to be a little tougher to offset his poor/not heavy armor?
Carrow isn't wearing any armor! Well, he's wearing an Elf Helm, has an Elf Shield, and is wearing an Elf Cloak. But he didn't actually buy or find any armor that suitable to him so far. He could hang onto the rune for now and buy some Elven Armor or hope to find some other kind of armor.

Can Ty use it? Because of his armor restrictions adding Toughness wouldn't be a bad idea...:)
Ty could indeed use it, but keep in mind that his armor covers sections that correspond to the enemy's to-hit roll. His body armor works if the attack that hit him rolled a 6 to-hit. If he later buys other pieces of pit armor, he can get leg armor corresponding to 5, right arm armor for 4, left arm armor for 3, and a helmet for 2 (most enemies wouldn't successfully hit him at all if they rolled a 2, but that isn't always the case). If he puts the rune on his body armor, it only applies to his body armor. This would be one of the few ways that Ty could boost his armor above 1 point, so it's not like it doesn't benefit him, but he's also the only warrior for whom the effect is partial. So it's a bit of a tradeoff. The party probably wants Ty on the front lines and anything that can improve his defenses is good, but the boost on another character would apply 100% of the time that armor works, while in Ty's case it probably applies to fewer than half of the hits that he takes. That's individual hits. For damage, it works out a bit better for Ty because some monsters roll more for damage if their to-hit roll is 5+. Not sure how to weigh all that, but I guess my impression is that it's a bit of a tossup. It would work, but there'd be a drawback.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like only Dorgath and Ty could use it right now, and if it improves Dorgath more because it applies to every hit then he should take it, since he's in harms way as much as Ty is...:)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that's the way it sounds. I didn't know we were so diverse :) I guess I have to wait to get back to town so I can find an armorsmith to actually bond the Rune to my armor, right?

"Anyone want the Dark Sword? I'll hold onto the Rune."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It sounds like only Dorgath and Ty could use it right now, and if it improves Dorgath more because it applies to every hit then he should take it, since he's in harms way as much as Ty is...:)
Kelgar could also use it and has fewer opportunities to get a higher armor rating. But if the plan is to use Kelgar primarily as support and not have him engaging in melee as much, then perhaps it would be better on a frontline fighter. So that's another kind of tradeoff, but different from Ty's.

I guess I have to wait to get back to town so I can find an armorsmith to actually bond the Rune to my armor, right?
Nope. It can be done in the field. Long ago, dwarven runesmiths grew weary of being dragged into battle to apply runes, so they invented ones that soldiers could use on their own. It's either that or the original base version of Warhammer Quest was a simple dungeon crawl game with no town-based features, and the advanced version added on, which changed things a lot, didn't modify the treasure cards. Yes, it's definitely one of those two things. ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oh. Well, I don't mind if Kelgar gets it if he has few opportunites for higher armor ratings. But I'll use it if he doesn't want it (of course :) ) What do y'all think?

Melkor

Yeah, I think I should pick this one up because I can't get a new armor, so I need to improve what I have.