Warhammer Anyone

L

Loafing Giant

Does anyone know anything about WARHAMMER?

Aku, Ptolomea, and I are starting to play

G

Gerode

My brother and some of his friends are WH40k addicts. I never got into it, though.

R

Rando

...and I have Wood Elves, Chaos, Lizard Men and Bretonians for Fantasy...

Chaos Space Marines and a home made Adeptus Mechanicus force for 40k...

and some Romans for Ancient Battles.

And I make all of my own terrain.

...what's up?

(as you can see, I haven't much of a life outside my games. ;) Along with Magic, D&D, Battletech and computer games, I should be given the title of Ultimate Gamer!)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have them all painted? That must have taken awhile...

Do you go to that Warhammer convention thingie?

R

Rando

The Wood Elves and Chaos Space Marines are each 100% painted, the Romans are still bare lead, and the rest are somewhere in between.

Actually, I like making buildings and terrain more then painting.

I do not go the official Warhammer tournies, because I personally think that Games Workshop practices very poor policies. For instance, you pretty much have to use the newest versions of thier mini's in the tournaments. You can't even use most of thier out of production minitures!

Also, thier customer service is very poor, especially in regards to realtiers.

And, they change the rules on you every few years, much more often then any other game company.

All of this ensures that you must pay the most money, the most often on thier product. They seem to want to create some kind of Game Monopaly.

This is why I use substitute minitures from other companies whenever I can. This alone would keep me from attending one of thier Tourneys.

(Both Chaos armies are pure citidel/GW minitures though, because I think that they are cool)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like WOTC... :)

No, what I meant was that big Games Workshop convention thing where they have the contest for Best Painted Minature and stuff and have the "terrain with action" stuff and whatnot. The thing that's showcased every year in White Dwarf. Ya' know?

R

Rando

ooooOOOOoohh...

That stuff. I never go to conventions, 'cause it takes away money that would go towards more minitures and Magic cards! :)

Nope, I just sit in my little fantasy world, uhhhh, basement workshop and mashall the forces all on my own.

Every once in a while, someone comes over to play with me!

...it acctually sounds kind of sad, doesn't it? :(

B

Baskil

Trust me, Spiderman. Games Workshop is about 1000 times worse than WotC. They force product down retailer's throats, and charge ridiculous amounts of money for crappy product (who would spend 80 bucks to get 1/3 of an army and a book?).

If only more people played Clan War, this could all be avoided ;)

(BTW, I am an avid Mordhiem player myself)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I didn't know about a lot of what Rando describes, mainly because I played about 6 years back, went on hiatus (coincidently with Magic :)), and am kinda of easing back in it. Some stuff seems odd; I mean, why can't you use older minis? It's like OOP cards... :)

Rando: There, there * Spiderman pats Rando on the back * :)

R

Rando

You can't use the older mini's because then, if you want to use that particular troop type in your army, you have to go out and buy the new, even more expensive minitures.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You mean like if I wanted to use Dwarf Crossbowmen, I'd have to use "newer" models? How the heck do you know if it's new or old (aside from looking at a catalogue, which I assume is printed)?

That's dopey... although I was also talking about models that I assume aren't printed anymore (I don't know what though, dragons? ogres? giants? certain heros/characters?)

R

Rando

Every couple of years or so, GW will discontinue an entire army, then issue a revamped one with a slightly different look. They just did this with The Undead, and did it to the Wood Elves years back.

For instance, in 40k, the Imp. Storm troopers used to just look like regular soldiers with berets.

GW has now redone them so that what is now considered an Imp. StormTrooper looks nothing like the old ones. And now the old ones can not be used in the official tourneys! Why? So you have to buy brand new, more expensive minitures.

Ofcourse, this is not thier official pollicy, but I can't think of any other reason for this tournament rule.

I'll do some hunting around and see what the actual rules are, because as of right now I'm going on what people that do go to official tourn.'s are telling me.

B

Baskil

It is true. If you play in a tournament, you have to have models from the last main set forward. It sucks, because there are some kick ass older models (Rogue Trader-era Terminators come to mind). However, you can mod those models however you want, just as long as it is the new model you're converting.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So how am I supposed to know if my guys are up-to-date? (they're probably not since they're from 6 years ago) I gotta get a catalogue or something?

Not that I'm ever going to play in a sanctioned GW game, mind you... :)

B

Baskil

Check on their website. They have pics of all of the figures in the store, so just compare :)

It does suck. It's like if WotC told us that we had to use the most recent reprint of a card (eg only 6th BoPs)

L

Loafing Giant

We Play Fantasy

I'm Playing Vamp.Counts/Undead

Aku is Playing Goblins and Orcs

Ptolomea is Playing Chaos Warriors

S

Sidar Jabari

I'd just like to apologise on behalf of my country (England) for the capitalist evil that is Game$ Work$hop.

Anyone for a game of Warhammer quest?