WANTED: Play-testers with an afinity for modeling and a like of WarGames...

R

Rando

Having too much time on my hands, I have come up with a new rules system for Giant Mecha combat in the 25mm scale...sort of a blend of Warhammer 40,000 and Battletech.

The idea is to use old toys and models to constuct your own giant war robots and pit them against each other, with infantry and tanks and such thrown into the mix. Each "Mecha" would have to be scratch built, but minitures from other game systems could be used for the infantry and tanks and such.

Each unit would then be asigned a points value according to size and armament so that both sides that fight are as equal as possible...a standard practice in most war games these days.

So, do you like modeling and painting?

Do you like war games?

Do you have a table big enough to play with a few 4 to 12 inch high war machines duking it out, with hordes of infantry and lighter vehicles to boot?

If so, then sign up bellow. When I get a working set of rules in order and all nice and typed out, then I will send it to those interested, with the understanding that you will play-test and get back to me with your sugestions and ideas.

Who knows, if it's ever published, even in an "open-rules" form, you'd get a design credit!

So... Questions? Comments? Anybody?

PS: It will probably be a couple of weeks before I can get the rules to you, as I need to do some basic play-testing first and then make it all coherent.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I still have to paint my Warhammer dwarves from 5 years back... <sigh> which a lot are now "too old" with the new rules.

But I may be interested, I guess I'll know more when you get the rules down more.

R

Rando

I think I've ranted about GamesWorkshop's rules revisions and the use of thier old minitures before.

Unless you play in santioned Warhammer tournaments, don't worry about it. Just play what ever you want.

In all actuality, your dwarves are perfectly compatible with the new rules, and don't let anyone tell you different.

Now, as for my game, I've got 90% of the rules down on hand-writen scratch pads. I just need to run through some senarios and fight a few battles to see how smoothly it runs. Then, I need to put it all in a nice, easy to read Word.doc.

It will be mostly up to the play-tester...should I get any...to see if things like the points system is ballanced or if any weapons are too powerfull of if the combat mechanics are too easy or difficult, et cetera.

The Mecha models have been a lot of fun to build. So far I only have three made, all from the parts of old Transformers toys. With some glue, paint and a hand-made cockpit complete with little 25mm pilots, I think they're really neat.

There are lots of different toys and models that can be used to make them, from Transformers to the large Gundam/Robotech models you can get.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not saying I have a problem; my point was merely that I am so lazy that though I got my minis a long time ago, they are still not painted (and my hopes and dreams for building my own scenery is best left unmentioned :) )

I definitely don't have old Transformers or whatnot. Can we just imagine them while playtesting (or just write them down)?

R

Rando

Yeah, I don't see why not. Just use a big book-end or nick-nack if you don't want to build the actual model.

As for infantry, tanks and other "conventional" combat units, Warhammer minitures are the right scale, but generic green army men would make a cheeper and perfectly usable alternitive.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I had a BIG collection of those when I was a young un'... then I made the mistake of playing with them on the beach when the tide came in.... talk about a natural disaster :p