Wand Of Wonder

D

DarthFerret

My friends and I made this card up in College. It is based off of the Wand of Wonder from AD&D 2nd edition. It worked like this

It was a 4 casting cost Mono Artifact.

Tap 4 colorless mana and tap artifact to activate.

A random player takes a random card from his/her library and puts it directly into play as though it were just cast. Ignore all casting costs. (including prerequisites like sacrificing) If "x" is present in the cost x becomes 0.

We had a lot of fun with this card. We even designed the artwork on a computer and pasted it to an island. It became such a popular card, that people were wanting to pay us to produce them. We declined, mainly on principle (and copyright laws).

I

Istanbul

I can see how that could be abused in a hurry...

Just pack your deck with massive monsters and four of these, and suddenly you get to play huge beaters for 4 mana.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'm not sure if it would be unbalanced or not. You could try to use it and then get burned when if fetches a Plains on the first try and your opponent's Fireblast on the next...

D

DarthFerret

That was one of the cool things about it. If you remember what the "Wand of Wonder" was like in 2nd Ed. AD&D you can see how this card could be very similar. Not only can it bring out something really huge from your deck, but can also bring out the best of your opponents. I know it would never make it as a card for "Real Play" but as an Unglued or an "Ass" card, it would be very interesting.

For those of you not well versed with 2nd Ed. AD&D the wand of wonder works as follows:

D100 Roll Effect
-----------------------------
01-10 Slow creature pointed at for 1 round.
11-18 Deludes wielder for 1 round into believing the wand functions as indicated by a second roll
19-25 Gust of wind, double the force of the spell
26-30 Stinking cloud at 30' range
31-33 Heavy rain falls for one round in 60' radius of wand wielder
34-36 Summon rhino (1-25), elephant (26-50), or mouse (51-100)
37-46 Lightning bolt (70' x 5') as wand
47-49 Stream of 600 large butterflies pour forth and flutter around for 2 rounds, blinding everyone (including wielder)
50-53 Enlarge target if within 60' of wand
54-58 Darkness in a 30' diameter hemisphere at 30' center distance from wand
59-62 Grass grows in area 160 sq. ft. before the wand, or grass existing there grows to 10 times normal size
63-65 Vansih any non-living object of up to 1000 lbs mass and up to 30 cubic feet in size (object is ethereal)
66-69 Diminish wielder to 1/12 height
70-79 Fireball as wand
80-84 Invisibility covers wand wielder
85-87 Leaves grow from target if within 60' of wand
88-90 10-40 gems of 1 gp value shoot forth in a 30 foot long stream, each causing one point of damage to any creature in its path
91-97 Shimmering colors dance and play over a 40' x 30' area in front of wand--creatures therein blinded for 1d6 rounds
98-00 Flesh to stone (or reverse if target is stone) if target is withing 60'

That was taken straight from the 2nd Ed. AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide, and is not intended to be a copyright infraction.

I

Istanbul

How about something like this?

Wand of Wonder (3)
Artifact
2, T: Flip a coin. Target creature gets first strike, trample, flying, cumulative upkeep: 1, fading 3, or -1/-1 permanently. If you win the flip, you choose which effect is bestowed; otherwise, target opponent chooses which effect is bestowed.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Istanbul
How about something like this?

Wand of Wonder (3)
Artifact
2, T: Flip a coin. Target creature gets first strike, trample, flying, cumulative upkeep: 1, fading 3, or -1/-1 permanently. If you win the flip, you choose which effect is bestowed; otherwise, target opponent chooses which effect is bestowed.
That seems pretty balanced, although the cumulative upkeep one isn't so forgiving (I guess it makes sense since you control when the thing gets used and all that).

D

DarthFerret

I just reposted on this topic to see if any of the newer members/ or returned older members had any comments on this card. The randomness of the effect, and the controller of that effect is just too much like the randomness on the D&D Wand that it makes players ponder on if they should use it, and makes it a great "last ditch effort" play. We also tried using the card as a permanant World Enchantment that was in play on the first round for any person to use. It was a lot more balanced that way, but seemed to take away from the general speed and power of the base game system.

D

DarthFerret

I used to have a picture, but it is long gone. I may try to see if I can garner one up if I can come up with the time to do so.

F

Force of Will Smith

k, and if you like i could send it full size if you wanna print it..

D

DarthFerret

That would be great, Except for the fact that my original wording for the card was as follows:

DarthFerret said:
My friends and I made this card up in College. It is based off of the Wand of Wonder from AD&D 2nd edition. It worked like this

It was a 4 casting cost Mono Artifact.

Tap 4 colorless mana and tap artifact to activate.

A random player takes a random card from his/her library and puts it directly into play as though it were just cast. Ignore all casting costs. (including prerequisites like sacrificing) If "x" is present in the cost x becomes 0.

I do like the other proposed wording, but it does not hold the same meaning as the D&D Wand of Wonder. I would put a different name to it and play with it. The original concept of my Wand of Wonder was not as a playable card in normal games. It was a fun card that was meant only for casual play. It's randomness of target and of effect was unrivaled, and made the game that much more interesting. I appreciate the comments, and would love to have a real size version of it, but with my original wording. Also, if anyone knows of a different name for the proposed alternate wording, I think that would make a fun card as well...plus be a little more balanced for actual serious play.

F

Force of Will Smith

Gotcha... ok.. since you say mono artifact, i made it oldskool..

I think this is more of what you were looking for.

Im usually hesitant to make lower res older cards cause they look fuzzier but more realistic when you print them..

Attachments

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Okay, I suppose randomly determining a player wouldn't be all that difficult (draw straws, pick numbers, roll dice, whatever), but how is one supposed to determine the random player?

D

DarthFerret

There is no set way to do this that I am aware of. I usually use dice of one variety or another ( I genarally carry around one complete set of D&D dice just in case of need..lol). As for the random card, just cut the deck and take the top card off the remaing stack. I have not determined if reshuffling is needed.

C

Cardatog

Another idea would be to tap and remove wand of wonder from the game. That way, it would only work on your library and wouldn't be so potentially abusive. How about:

"Tap and remove Wand of Wonder from the game at the end of your turn: Shuffle your library. Reveal the top card from your library to all players and play this card without paying its casting cost. If X is in the casting cost, X is equal to the number of untapped permanents you control. If a creature is revealed this way, it gains Haste and First Strike until the end of turn."

I would leave the additional cost (e.g. sac a creature) intact. Then maybe knock the casting cast to 3.

Good old Wand of Wonder, remember it well... :)