6 Forest
2 Mountian

SB:
???
4 Wax/Wane
3 Aura Mutation/Disenchant
4 Armageddon
4 Llanowar Knight

An improvement over Regionals Junk that has been floating around, but not as far as mana consistency. I am playing without the painlands and it is pretty consistent, but it will need the Brushlands and Karpulsian Forests to improve. The Battlemages kill Idols and Diamonds, and they team up with the Kavus to kill everything but Blastoderm and Shivan Wurm. Voice of All with Cloak is usually game, and Boa vs. Control is great. SB is geared toward
U/W control
out Cloak,Kavu
in Wax/Wane, Geddon

Fires
out 1 Sergeant, 2 Fresh Volunteers
in 3 Aura Mutation

Nether-Go
out Waves, Cloak
in Llanowar Knight, Armageddon

TurboHaups
Out Kavu, Cloak
in Armageddon, Wax/Wane

Skies
out Cloak
in Llanowar Knight

I expect to see 25% Fires/Red Zone, 25% Counter Rebels, 20% Skies, 20% U/W, Go-Mar, or Nether-Go, and 10% TurboHaups or Red/x LD. This deck is also excellent against R and B rogue decks.

Help please?

Erik

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
In my opinion, the fresh volunteers should be replaced by Longbow archers and the Sergeants should be replaced by another 1cc creature, because why run rebels if you only have 2 kinds?

Ransac, cpa trash man

F

Firestorm

He runs the rebles because being able to search for 2/2 hunk of monkeys is a lot better that 4 spots with with the same creature with first stike that you cannot search for.

Sideboard needs Hull Breach, I think. Also mabey some L/D to side in vs. Fires(Sunweb is also great against it. I made a deck with Sunweb/Animate Wall/Armadillo Cloak/Cho-Manno's Blessing/Enlightened Tutor. Hurts red, included Ivory mask and here I would put Howling Mine-a must for weenie type decks.)

Good Luck!

G

galtwish

If I drop the rebels, I would go with 4 Nomadic Elf and 4 Chimeric Idols, dropping a Plains or two for more Forests, but the Rebels are great defense against Fires monsters.

Erik

D

darumax

I played a few games with this deck and it's a lot of fun. The only slot I would play around with is the Thornscape Familiar. I'm tempted to put either Chimeric Idol or Noble Panther here. Can you discuss your choice of the Familiar?

What have your games vs. Counter-Rebel been like? And what do you bring in, if anything, from the sideboard against them?

Also, I'm thinking you'll need 4x Wax/Wane against Blue Skies as they are very likely to bring in Rising Waters against you.

Lastly, Llanowar Knight doesn't get a rise out of me. I'd need more of a hoser in this slot. How about Pure Reflection?

G

galtwish

Familiar allows this deck to be more agressive than fires by playing Battelmage/FTK to whack a mana critter on the 3rd turn and attacking. Additionally, 3rd turn Voice of All: Green is very strong vs. Fires, while Voice of All: White is great vs Counter-Rebels/Blinding Angel. It also helps Geddon, Wave, Cloak and Volunteers better than elves would. It isn't a more powerful creature (Fleetfoot Panther would be good here) due to CC. Llanowar Knight is in here because a Black or Black/Red deck could really hurt this deck. Against Counter-Rebel out go the Cloaks, in come the Geddons.

Erik

D

darumax

Actually, the Familiar wouldn't speed up casting the Battlemage as it's a green spell. However, making your 4cc w/r spells cost 3cc looks mighty appealing.

Let's see, your mana curve looks like this:

4x 1cc
12x 2cc
4x 3cc
16x 4cc (I'm giving Battlemage a 4cc cost)

So, getting a Familiar out second turn will make this deck run much more smoothly. Obviously, this this guy is a big target for a burn spell.

Considering all, I still think I'd run Chimeric Idol in that slot. I'll get less spectacular play, but gain robustness. One could go either way.

Since we're already vulnerable to getting colored hosed, decks packing Ports could give you real problems. I'd consider running Tsabo's Web in the sideboard. Any thoughts?

My in progress sideboard would look like this:

3 Armageddon (Nether-Go, Turbo-Haups, U/W control, Counter-Rebel)
3 Pure Reflection (Nether-Go, Turbo-Haups, U/W control)
3 Exile (Skies, Fires, Machine Head)
4 Wax/Wane (Fires, U/W control, Skies)
2 ? (Some random ideas: Tsabo's Web, Kavu Chameleon, Aura Mutation, Light of Day, Hull Breach, Mageta, the lion, Obsidian Acolyte, Ghitu Fire, Urza's Rage, Reverent Mantra, COP: green, Story Circle, Spiritual Focus, Ivory Mask)

All in all, I think Ivory Mask fills some gaps in the deck, and I lean towards that.

-Dave

G

galtwish

If you pay the Kicker on the Battlemage, doesn't it have R or W in it's casting cost, making it eligible for Familiar cost reduction?

Erik

D

Dead

Sadly, playing a kicker in that colour does not make the spell the chosen colour, so it's cost cannot be reduced by the familiar.

The up side of this is that spells with off colour kickers are often more difficult to prevent- for example, the red kicker of thornscape battlemage can be used to get past a circle of protection: red, whilst a kickered agonizing demise can be played on a protection from red creature such as sabertooth nishoba.