Vote Nader!

R

Reverend Love

Just like every other job. The military again crunches the numbers. Magically pulls a figure from the aether and inputs this into one huge manning database which MEPS (inducts and swears in volunteers), base paper pushers, and Majcoms all access. These various organizations look at the same database so when someone decides they'd like to swap jobs or a new guy is asking what jobs are available they can view the needs of their particular force. Each unit can update the database when a slot is filled to try and avoid over manning in particular fields (still happens though).

Because manning is based on the force's needs and not your wants/qualifications you'll get officers with degrees in information managment managing dining halls or a vehicle yard. Makes no sense unless the big picture is viewed.

Spidey your quite right in your assumption that if someone wants job X and that job is filled, they've got to wait until either someone dies or retires. The Guards and Reserves are notorious for this. You get 50 some year old E-5 (low rank) pukes who are complete wastes of space taking up fun jobs. Not because they're good, they suck. It's because they've been in for 30 damn years and have won promotions and positions through simple attrition.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it wasn't really an assumption, just an option that I tried to think of (along with the other three). :)

How do you know all of this, if you don't mind me asking?

Ferret

Staff member
RL's figures are pretty close to accurate. Having been in the military twice now I've seen what life is like in both active and reserve (oddly enough in reverse). While in the Reserves I saw lots of people just taking up space while waiting for their retirement. Many of them would fill up E-5 and 6 slots that active folks would like to take up, but they had to wait out these guys "going away" to make room. It got annoying fast...

...nowadays in the Active military I see lots of people being promoted to those same slots that are more than ten years my junior. It's very weird when I have some 23 year old runt telling me "Excuse me, but you're addressing a non-commisioned officer. You should be at parade rest." Annoyance...

-Ferret

"How on earth did we get on this topic?"

R

Reverend Love

Chances are you're getting it worse because of your age. There's always going to be the turd who chomps at the bit to tell boss around those older then themselves.

T

train

my response... and promptly my exit - "I've got your parade rest right here..."

unroll the middle finger at this point in time...