Vote 2016!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's been about a year and a half since the last post here, but be sure to go and vote tomorrow!

turgy22

Nothing Special
Wow. Did anybody see this coming?
Encouraging your supporters to vote more than once is an effective strategy. I'm amazed other candidates hadn't thought of it earlier.
Also, I heard that the election is rigged, so take the results with a grain of salt.

Nope. These next four years will be, um, interesting...
I think we'll be okay until Trump visits Croatia and grabs their president by her lady parts.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
May the Trump supporters get what they deserve. Unfortunately, that means the rest of us get that too.
Ugh......

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
May the Trump supporters get what they deserve. Unfortunately, that means the rest of us get that too.
Trump isn't the president America needs, but he is the president America deserves. :oops:

Or perhaps not. I don't know. Like a lot of people, I was surprised.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think he'll be re-elected, should he run again. I don't think he'll be able to 'fix the economy", which seems to be the main reason why most of the rural areas that voted for him (if you look at the votes of each state). For instance, coal mining is just a dying industry. The people aren't going to get better jobs, which will lead to the same dis-satisfaction of why they initially voted for Obama but not for Hillary.

Well, scratch that, he *could* get re-elected if the people want to give him a full 8 years' chance, but after that, I don't think a person trying to deliver the same message will have a chance.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still hoping the Electoral College does their job and prevents this travesty from actually occurring...:)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Trump isn't the president America needs, but he is the president America deserves. :oops:
Or perhaps not. I don't know. Like a lot of people, I was surprised.
The turn out was very low, could be because the choices sucked.
Trump will be 74 during the next election.
There should be a retirement age for all politicians and 74 is too old for any position.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The voters can "impose" term limits by voting for the other guy. However, given how a lot of state districts are gerrymandered, the same name keeps coming up and people vote for the familiar.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it's a case of the fox guarding the henhouse. Congress can make the laws for other branches but not themselves.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed, but again, if voters really wanted change, they'd vote for the new/young guy. But if they perceive their representative as effective (and/or simply with name recognition), they'll go for the "old" guy.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
True, but retirement age will just effect those that are, IMHO, too old to be running government.
I also don't want just 30ish year olds doing it all either.
we have term limits (the vote) but a retirement age would be good to ensure a definitive turn over.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think competency should be the key, rather than age. Some may do well even they're "old" while those who are "young" may be incompetent/ineffective.

I mean, if you get into the whole "to old to do x" thing, there's lots of stuff... aside from *any* job in general, there's driving that immediately comes to mind. :)